Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:15 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

I know I can't make it 100% water tight. I'm in the northeast and the basement is where my oil tank (above ground but in basement) electric water heater and oil heater is. I'm not using it for storage but there's a ton of room there. I have an adu that eventually I might want to fix out and rent out and if the basement can be additional storage that can be a plus. The adu I'd argue is 800 sq ft and would most likely be a studio apartment at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

You can however, excavate along the exterior and install a crushed stone layer against your foundation wall to a footing drain, gravity pitched to daylight. The water will filter through the stone rather than infiltrating through a wall. Obviously, all other exterior issues must be addressed, such as gutter leaders being piped away from the house as well as grading to ensure surface water is directed away from the house.
That's a long term goal although that might create another issue. Basically the water going out of the sump pump and now with the gutters is aimed at the driveway. the driveway is shared. The neighbor is under the impression that it's his and is willing to put a thousand in repatching it. The hill actually starts higher and I've talked to another neighbor on this. Basically it sounds like there's the need for another sewer drain on the above street. So the water coming down mill has flooded her basement, my basement my other neighbor is dealing with an eroded driveway. You can see the dirt on the sidewalk from years of this. Complicating this the electric company has an above ground pole between our three properties. If the town puts in a new drain it should solve some of this issue but I don't know how many people it would take to convince them to do so.

I might be able to put some photos or a video later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 10:30 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I know I can't make it 100% water tight. I'm in the northeast and the basement is where my oil tank (above ground but in basement) electric water heater and oil heater is. I'm not using it for storage but there's a ton of room there. I have an adu that eventually I might want to fix out and rent out and if the basement can be additional storage that can be a plus. The adu I'd argue is 800 sq ft and would most likely be a studio apartment at most.

That's a long term goal although that might create another issue. Basically the water going out of the sump pump and now with the gutters is aimed at the driveway. the driveway is shared. The neighbor is under the impression that it's his and is willing to put a thousand in repatching it. The hill actually starts higher and I've talked to another neighbor on this. Basically it sounds like there's the need for another sewer drain on the above street. So the water coming down mill has flooded her basement, my basement my other neighbor is dealing with an eroded driveway. You can see the dirt on the sidewalk from years of this. Complicating this the electric company has an above ground pole between our three properties. If the town puts in a new drain it should solve some of this issue but I don't know how many people it would take to convince them to do so.

I might be able to put some photos or a video later on.
Sounds like the towns/street storm water infrastructure in your street is non existent or inadequate and those residents should address this issue with the town!

Meanwhile, do what you can preliminarily to help alleviate your issue without having to re-do some of the work when and if the town corrects the storm water issue in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House