Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 02:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I had a Reel type mower for my house in Savannah. I was on one of the marshy islands and it was perfect for my .24 acre lot - which was actually smaller than that because the back yard had no grass. totally tree covered and nothing grew there - all the Live Oaks dropped their acorns and leaves in there.
I actually own a reel mower, but it's no-go on my current (and I hope last) lawn! Maybe I should hang on to it in case I end up retiring to Savannah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 06:25 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Has anyone tried this:

13 in. 11 Amp Corded Electric Walk Behind Push Mower - Ryobi

Old 06-11-2021, 08:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Has anyone tried this:

13 in. 11 Amp Corded Electric Walk Behind Push Mower - Ryobi
I would think "corded electric" would be a huge pain; you'd be tethered to the house, and heaven forbid you accidentally run over it! Besides which, I have no outdoor outlet, so this wouldn't even be an option for me. Those rechargeable battery-powered ones look easy to use, but they are very expensive unless you can find a decent one used (and even then)...

Old 06-11-2021, 03:00 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
We have plenty of power outside but this particular model is only sold by Home Depo, as far as i know. We do know that some reputable companies make lower grade products for cheap Home Depo sales so I am wondering whether it worth it?
Our lawn guy retired early and I did find a Fiskars push mower for $50 on Craig's list which I am considering but wanted to check out the Ryobi first.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have a Ryobi battery powered, had it for over five years now, works great.

I love my Ryobi (NOT the self propelled version) and am glad to hear it's lasted you 5 years already. I'm on my 1st full season (started it last August)

Are you still on the original battery too? I have two batteries because I have the snow blower too.

I also have a reel mower, that I used at my previous home. It's over 20 years old but still works fine.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-11-2021 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 05:01 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Does anyone have a manual (push) lawn mower? Is it fairly easy to use for a smallish backyard? I'd appreciate hearing your experiences.
My EGO is easy to push.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:15 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
I sure like the Greenworks 60V cordless mower I have.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:28 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I have an actual push mower, that you push. No, kids, the kind where the pushing action makes the blades turn. Think of it as "green technology"

It works perfectly well for a small yard. I actually have a big yard and I use a 17-hp tractor to mow it, but there are a couple of areas where the manual push mower comes in handy.
If the lawn is small and flat and the REEL MOWER blades are sharp and properly adjusted, then its fine. You just dont want to let the grass get very long or it turns into punishment. Lot incentive to mow frequently once you try mowing it long with a reel mower couple times. They also dont like sticks and leaves.... just saying.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
When I moved from my suburban house to a city house with a small lawn in Texas, I used my gas powered mulching mower exactly once, as it was too large and heavy for the small lawn, gouged a portion of it, and left tire tracks when it was wet.

I switched to a small craftsman push-reel (no motor) which was cheap, light, maneuverable, took up less storage, and really was ridiculously easy considering I would have had to maneuver the larger power mower through small spaces and still do cleanup with a weed eater in places that it couldn't fit into. It became a conversation piece with neighbors (most who had lawn services) and passers-by commenting about the olden days when they were kids and had to use an old mower. Some people (for some reason mainly Hispanic women) would just stop and watch me, as I think many never saw a push reel before (or a homeowner in the neighborhood actually cutting his own lawn, to tell the truth).

I used to work with a city landscaper during summers in college, who believed that rotary power mowers should only be used on large lawns as he said the fast spinning blades would rip and damage the grass, and that reel mowers were his preference. He always kept a small reel push mower for use in small areas rather than larger power tools or mowers.

I used the push mower for over 10 years until I moved again (lawn duty is now shared with a 70+ year old who insists on self-propelled). Per the previous poster, keeping the blades sharp (easy enough if properly adjusted) and ensuring sticks and the like are picked up before cutting makes all the difference.

For now I fight the self-propelled mower when its my turn (its a small sloped lawn with narrow sections between houses, can't use self-propelled when wet due to wheels gouging lawn), but I'm not ready to take over 100% of the lawn work just to use a push mower.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:21 PM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Get an electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House