Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:49 AM

62 posts, read 38,458 times

Advertisements

My house was built in 1990, is a split level and has the wood siding that is now rotting.

My husband and I are not in agreement with the type of siding to install.

My DH wants to install vinyl siding due to the cost and low maintenance and the fact it never needs to be painted.

I am more in favor of hardiplank, but the cost differential is very high. Also, he argues hardiplank will need to be painted every 7 to 10 years, a cost of $5k plus on top of the cost to install hardiplank.

I was in sticker shock when I was quoted $25k for the vinyl siding that looks like wood. I thought I would be paying $15k for vinyl and $25k for hardiplank.

I have tried to research the pros and cons of vinyl siding vs hardiplank, but there are so many opinions out there. My dh is adamant he wants vinyl, we are both getting older and he wants no maintenance or low maintenance.

Has anyone out there chosen vinyl as your siding choice and is happy with the results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 12:57 PM

17,463 posts, read 65,908,898 times
I’ll preface by saying “I hate vinyl siding!” I don’t care if it’s low maintenance- it just looks like trailer-trash to me.

The biggest con to me about vinyl siding- it makes a great fire! Hardi doesn’t really burn. The other big con about vinyl siding- if it’s going over old siding, making it water-tight around openings can be almost impossible. Water gets in and starts rotting materials under the siding, you won’t know until major damage has occurred. With a Hardi install, obviously all the old siding would have to be removed- now the sheathing can be inspected and replaced if necessary; and a vapor barrier can be added. All openings can be sealed with a waterproof membrane.

Overall, not only does a Hardi (or any other cementuous type siding) look better- it also affords you an opportunity to inspect the current condition of the structure.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,277,256 times
How much rot do you really have? You've got a 30 year old house. If it's kept painted, wood siding is good for 300 years, except where poor design leaves it constantly wet or in contact with soil. I bet you need a dozen or two dozen boards replaced, and then a good scrape-prime-paint job. Neither vinyl siding or Hardie can be done for less than replacing a few rotten boards and repainting.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:05 PM

17,696 posts, read 29,750,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I’ll preface by saying “I hate vinyl siding!” I don’t care if it’s low maintenance- it just looks like trailer-trash to me.
Low-end trailers.

Consider wood.
But stain and don't paint.
Cabot makes stains that are opaque as paint if you want that look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How much rot do you really have?...bet you need a dozen or two dozen boards replaced, and then a good scrape-prime-paint job.
Do this and remove the old paint.
Then stain.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How much rot do you really have? You've got a 30 year old house. If it's kept painted, wood siding is good for 300 years, except where poor design leaves it constantly wet or in contact with soil. I bet you need a dozen or two dozen boards replaced, and then a good scrape-prime-paint job. Neither vinyl siding or Hardie can be done for less than replacing a few rotten boards and repainting.

When the OP said "has the wood siding..." and it was 1990, I immediately went- "LP", "Abitibi", and the likes... And yes, I'm sure there is A LOT of rot. They're just unfortunate to have not participated in the CAS against Louisiana Pacific for their "chip board siding".

Old 03-29-2021, 05:48 PM

23,574 posts, read 70,267,737 times
Another vote for Hardie plank and similar products - installed properly.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:54 AM

How much rot? I am not sure, we have already replaced a few boards and a few other boards are soft to the touch. The house has a very high elevation making it difficult to evaluate how many boards are rotted out.

We received a quote yesterday from a reputable firm, $68k for hardiplank, $38k for vinyl. Needless to say, we are now looking at just replacing the rotting boards. I am still in sticker shock now.

I agree with the sentiment on vinyl, have always hated it. My DH is adamant if we do decide we need to replace the whole house siding, then he wants vinyl. My neighbor next door has vinyl siding, the only one in our neighborhood and I hate how it looks.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo30346 View Post
I agree with the sentiment on vinyl, have always hated it. My DH is adamant if we do decide we need to replace the whole house siding, then he wants vinyl. My neighbor next door has vinyl siding, the only one in our neighborhood and I hate how it looks.

Here’s a perfect case scenario where HOA’s are needed- keeping the cohesiveness of the neighborhood would be paramount to EVERYONE’S values!

Your next door neighbor has already devalued your property with the vinyl siding, don’t be the neighbor that brings down the neighborhood further.

Words for thought...

Old 03-30-2021, 08:52 AM

3,994 posts, read 6,565,480 times
I always disliked vinyl...then I had to deal with two 60's homes with wood siding/trim and suddenly the vinyl isn't so bad.

Our house now has vinyl and it's a bit bigger than a trailer so I guess when I look at it I don't think trailer trash.

I say go/do with what is the aesthetic of your neighborhood and what you can afford. Do most of the homes have vinyl? Are most wood? Just realize wood will always require some type of maintenance. I have our vinyl power washed every other year and it looks just fine and costs me about $400.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:19 AM

Most of the siding in the neighborhood is wood. I am really torn as what to do, I cannot afford to spend $68k on siding for my house .

A couple of the neighbors replaced their siding last year, I will ask them for a recommendation.

Also, my son mentioned that costs are outrageous this year, to wait until next year to get new quotes.

I am just worried what is behind my rotting siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House