Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 PM

24 posts, read 13,293 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to close gap between rention wall and wood fence in my backyard ?

The otherside of the wall is open space and new housing developement is coming soon in one or two years. I want to keep all the animals away from my backyard especially snakes,rabbits etc.

How can i close the gap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 06:56 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb6021 View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to close gap between rention wall and wood fence in my backyard ?

The otherside of the wall is open space and new housing developement is coming soon in one or two years. I want to keep all the animals away from my backyard especially snakes,rabbits etc.

How can i close the gap?
Bad news: you can’t exclude rabbits and snake with any fence.
Photo would help us give you some ideas if you still want an enclosed space
You might rather consider green hedges for privacy?

Old 03-30-2021, 07:18 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Chicken wire has worked well for years, keeping rabbits out of my garden.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:13 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
You won't keep all snakes out (smaller ones can crawl up vertical surfaces surprisingly well), but a stack of cinderblocks or bricks might keep a rabbit out...at least until one decides to burrow underneath. Besides, unless your property is completely surrounded by a concrete moat (including the driveway) and drawbridge, wild critters are getting in somewhere else. Don't know why you'd even bother trying to exclude snakes. The vast majority are totally harmless and they control rodents you really don't want! Tip: don't invest in security cameras. Maybe its better not to know what wildlife sneaks onto your property when you aren't watching.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-30-2021 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 01:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You won't keep all snakes out (smaller ones can crawl up vertical surfaces surprisingly well), but a stack of cinderblocks or bricks might keep a rabbit out...at least until one decides to burrow underneath. Besides, unless your property is completely surrounded by a concrete moat (including the driveway) and drawbridge, wild critters are getting in somewhere else. Don't know why you'd even bother trying to exclude snakes. The vast majority are totally harmless and they control rodents you really don't want! Tip: don't invest in security cameras. Maybe its better not to know what wildlife sneaks onto your property when you aren't watching.
Well, there are a lot of prissy first time homeowners that have only lived in apartments and think the world's coming to an end if they see a spider in the house or a snake in the yard. They really need to be living in a domed community or something.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
How can i upload images here?

Old 03-30-2021, 05:34 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, there are a lot of prissy first time homeowners that have only lived in apartments and think the world's coming to an end if they see a spider in the house or a snake in the yard. They really need to be living in a domed community or something.
LOL!!!
We have people move here because "they LOVE nature" and then call animal control the first time they see a raccoon.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Pic is attached. Gap is bigger than it appears in the pic.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Close gap between retention wall and wood fence-screenshot_20210331-152658_thumbtack.jpg  

Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, retaining walls and fences settle.

Unless you want to do the King Canute thing, you'd better come to grips with the reality of home ownership, fences, critters, the outdoors, and the rest of it.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
Keep in mind the surfaces will move with the weather and humidity. End grain of wood will absorb moisture. Thus, it is functioning now like it is designed to work so the ends will dry out. Doesn't look like a rabbit could get in there, but remember that a mouse can get into a hole the size of a pencil width.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House