Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 16,500 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house last year that has a slate roof, and I recently found out the house has a major termite problem. I've spoken to many termite companies and it seems like fumigation with tenting is the only way to actually get rid of termites properly.

However, a contractor and roofer I know said if I let them tent the house, I will end up paying an absurd amount of money reparing the broken slate tiles. It's a two story home with a two story back house, about 3000sqft total.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?? What would a slate roof actually cost to repair in this kind of scenario? Is it better to just redo the roof with something cheap and *not* fragile? While I don't want to spend money repairing after tenting, major termite damage over time is a big deal and could end up costing a lot more!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
The company doing the fumigation/tenting will have to stay off the roof.

If the roof isn’t too complicated with gables, hips, valleys- they should be able to pull the tenting sheets over the house without much problems. If that isn’t possible, they should bring a crane/lull to help with the covering. Otherwise, it would be prudent to emphasize they will be responsible for any broken tiles.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The company doing the fumigation/tenting will have to stay off the roof.

If the roof isn’t too complicated with gables, hips, valleys- they should be able to pull the tenting sheets over the house without much problems. If that isn’t possible, they should bring a crane/lull to help with the covering. Otherwise, it would be prudent to emphasize they will be responsible for any broken tiles.
Unfortunately, no termite company I've spoken to will do the fumigation without me signing a waiver for tile damage (I've called about ten).

If they could get the tent on without walking on it, would the slate be fine or would it still crack from the tent being pushed/pulled over the tiles?

Old 04-06-2021, 05:18 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
If they want a waiver signed then clearly they have had problems in the past- which also says they’re not capable of tenting a house without walking all over it! And with the waiver they could perceivably destroy the entire roof and walk away Scott-free!

So, I’ll call BS on that- they should employ the equipment necessary to avoid having to do that! Sounds like a case of narrow mindedness, blinder syndrome!

Old 04-06-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If they want a waiver signed then clearly they have had problems in the past- which also says they’re not capable of tenting a house without walking all over it! And with the waiver they could perceivably destroy the entire roof and walk away Scott-free!

So, I’ll call BS on that- they should employ the equipment necessary to avoid having to do that! Sounds like a case of narrow mindedness, blinder syndrome!
I think it's pretty standard in the case of slate tiles - you can google 'roof damage waiver fumigation' and see plenty of companies who talk about that on their sites. I'll call around some more but I checked with the top 10 companies listed in yelp for my area, and all of them required a roof damage waiver.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:16 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,851,207 times
Concentrated loads (walking on the roof) is what damages slate roofs. A tarp or tent in itself will not damage the roof.

> Is it better to just redo the roof with something cheap and *not* fragile?

Replacing a slate roof with composition shingles will still be expensive. Ask, you will be astonished.

What you have right now is a roof that will last a hundred years or so with regular maintenance and that has considerable aesthetic appeal. If it is in decent condition right now the regular maintenance will be less than the cost of full replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House