Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 05:55 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Courtyard/patio is probably best. Stamped concrete or pavers would work. Need a pro to look at drainage, etc. Then you could simply put potted plants and patio furniture out there, maybe a fire table.
A water garden/rain garden at a low point or at the end of the property with drainage toward it might be a consideration. Here, there are grants available to assist with expense for residential water gardens that fit within their guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Post Fireplace is on 2' of concrete, pinned into ledge. The whole hillside could slide off and it'd survive

I've got a few acres on a hill, house came with a small grass lawn that the previous owners maintained mostly to give their dog a place to do his business without picking up ticks.

One of the first things I did after moving in was bring in a contractor to scrape it down, level it, install a paver patio.

That fireplace is on a couple feet of concrete, pinned into ledge. The whole hillside could slide off and it'd still be standing proud. The chimney and steel flue cap mean that according to state code, it is classified the same as a home fireplace instead of a "portable burning appliance", the manufacturer follows the same UL standards as they do for interior fireplaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Some neighbors have found small snakes in their yard.
Which is another reason that if I go with a groundcover, it HAS to be a low one. I need to know what's in my grass before I go stepping out there too much.
If anything, I want more small snakes in my yard. They eat the chipmunks and voles, which otherwise will dig tunnels and undermine pavers and rock walls while shedding ticks everywhere.

I'd much rather have visible snakes in my grass than invisible disease-bearing ticks!

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-09-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 02:45 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No; you don’t want runoff! Runoff means you are dumping on your neighbors. Creating a permeable base is good for a garden AND neighbors.
That’s what I meant. Not run off but a soak in base.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:20 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,203 times
Quote:
Artificial grass looks cheap (IMO, no offense meant). And I'm in an opossum, skunk, raccoon, area, cats come through the yard. Couldn't they dig or scratch though it?
It depends on the quality of the artificial grass I had it in Las Vegas everyone thought it was real. I never had an animal scratch thru it , it’s thick,

Old 04-09-2021, 03:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Selhars

Look up Desert Landscaping for some ideas of maintenance free landscaping.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:52 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
^^ Thanks. I love a lot of the desert landscaping and xeriscaping I've seen. And would love to try it.

Problem is -- I'm NOT in a desert. I don't know, but I would think that in the desert you don't have to worry about grass and weeds coming back. In arid desert areas you get rid of grass, because it won't grow anyway (well hardly).

I'm in a major east coast city, near/on swampy area (developed 50-100 years ago), only a mile from a wildlife refuge.

I hate the look of weeds popping up through pavers. And especially gravel. If I xeriscape and then have to keep killing the pop-up weeds with weedkiller, then that's not no maintenance. BUT I still might consider that. Because pouring weed/grass killer (hot vinegar, more natural) on them every couple of months is still better than mowing every two weeks.

I may go to a nursery to get a consult with a designer and see what they might suggest. It's part of all of the research and planning I'm trying to do.

IF the xeriscaping could stay pristine like I see in the pictures, I'd likely be all in.

Last edited by selhars; 04-09-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
Quote:
^^ Thanks. I love a lot of the desert landscaping and xeriscaping I've seen. And would love to try it.

Problem is -- I'm NOT in a desert. I don't know, but I would think that in the desert you don't have to worry about grass and weeds coming back. In arid desert areas you get rid of grass, because it won't grow anyway (well hardly).

I'm in a major east coast city, near/on swampy area (developed 50-100 years ago), only a mile from a wildlife refuge.

I hate the look of weeds popping up through pavers. And especially gravel. If I xeriscape and then have to keep killing the pop-up weeds with weedkiller, then that's not no maintenance. BUT I still might consider that. Because pouring weed/grass killer (hot vinegar, more natural) on them every couple of months is still better than mowing every two weeks.

I may go to a nursery to get a consult with a designer and see what they might suggest. It's part of all of the research and planning I'm trying to do.

IF the xeriscaping could stay pristine like I see in the pictures, I'd likely be all in.

A rain garden not only takes up space that no longer needs mowing, it might also help with drainage, privacy (toss some plants in that grow tall and wide) and may be partially covered by a grant (here, there are grants for rain gardens within their guidelines). Not for the whole backyard, but perhaps as a piece of it.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:26 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I think you just need to talk to a few landscapers, tell them "I hate grass. Get rid of it and put something nice in" and get some estimates. I've been watching reruns of "Yard Crashers" where they crash back yards in two days' time and they look awesome. But I like my green grass too much for some of those yards.
You should be able to get it looking pretty nice. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2021, 07:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/har...01-pea-gravel/

Something with Pea gravel would be nice.

But here's what you're missing about cement. It can/will crack, it can/will have cracks poured in with it, and it won't be "zero maintenance." But again, the zeriscaping or whatever, is mostly going to be walking around with a spray bottle of weed killer, rather than hassling with mowing.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
No bids in yet. Too soon. But I've contacted:
-- a contractor (small, independent) who a neighbor recommended. He did her driveway and sidewalk. Said his 7K bid was the cheapest of three. The work looks OK, and she had no complaints about him.

I'm not crazy about him already. He was two hours late for our appointment. A half-hour after the time I texted him and he texted back he'd be there within an hour. He wasn't. Appt for noon to 12:15 ish...he got here at 2:30. And when he got here I nonchalantly asked, "Oh, so what happened? you got stuck at another job? You went to church?" He said: "no I just had some things I needed to do." So his first impression wasn't good -- at all. I think he's the type that you need to bite your tongue and work with them, because they're the cheapest bid. I do NOT like working with people like that. But sometimes money can make the choice for you.

BUT, I told him to do two bids one for pavers and one for concrete. And he said HE thinks the job should be done with concrete. So I'm fairly sure that's all he'll propose and give me a bid for.

-- Late yesterday I sent measurements and photos to a landscape design firm, and asked if they thought there was a landscaping solution that could achieve at least part of my desired goal of no maintenance. They also partner with hardscape contractors so they'll have one to recommend if landscaping isn't an option.

-- Just a few minutes ago I sent the same measurements and photos to a masonry/concrete company.

So I'll see what they all propose.
(In the meantime my grass is tall. So I'll get out there and mow this weekend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House