Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:37 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm not crazy about him already. He was two hours late for our appointment. A half-hour after the time I texted him and he texted back he'd be there within an hour. He wasn't. Appt for noon to 12:15 ish...he got here at 2:30. And when he got here I nonchalantly asked, "Oh, so what happened? you got stuck at another job? You went to church?" He said: "no I just had some things I needed to do." So his first impression wasn't good -- at all. I think he's the type that you need to bite your tongue and work with them, because they're the cheapest bid. I do NOT like working with people like that. But sometimes money can make the choice for you.
That's exactly WHY you don't select them in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 03:41 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
OP,

Have you considered that putting down all that concrete will limit the number of potential buyers if you try to sell your home in the future? Most people aren't enamored of concrete back yards, so you are going to be spending a lot of money that you are unlikely to recoup when you sell.

Exactly this. Quality artificial turf isn't indoor/outdoor carpeting died green. Artificial turf is not only largely maintenance free but will likely not be an issue for future buyers since it's easier (and cheaper) to remove turf than concrete.

--------------------

Backyard sheds that are raised above the ground (usually sitting on blocks, 4 x 4s, or pavers) are magnets for woodchucks, possums, and skunks that will burrow under them. If your shed is sitting on a concrete or asphalt pad, you shouldn't have many issues with animals.
1) I'll look at th first idea. Thanks! Likely not a deck over the grass. But maybe just extend the small patio pad to about half the yard and the turf for the other half.

2) As for the shed it's not raised. I had that at another house so I know what you mean. I had rabbits under there. Which was fine by me. Rabbits, yes. Skunks, no. That area had mostly rabbits, chipmunks, and I saw a 'possum once.

This shed is flat on the ground, sitting just on the 1" thick resin floor/base that came with it. The skunks have dugged under the side of the shed, to burrow under the shed. I've put pavers in the yard Just laid them on the grass (not "installed") and they just dig to the side of those.

As I said, animals are digging under my fence -- to the left and right -- to pass from the neighbors to the left and right also. I joke that it's like an elephant run. They want to get from the yard on my left....to the yard to houses to my right...so they dig under every fence to do it.

I'll have to ask other neighbors further over, if they have those divots under their fence. If they do they might not care though. I do.

Thanks for your ideas. Will definitely look at that.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
1) I'll look at th first idea. Thanks! Likely not a deck over the grass. But maybe just extend the small patio pad to about half the yard and the turf for the other half.

2) As for the shed it's not raised. I had that at another house so I know what you mean. I had rabbits under there. Which was fine by me. Rabbits, yes. Skunks, no. That area had mostly rabbits, chipmunks, and I saw a 'possum once.

This shed is flat on the ground, sitting just on the 1" thick resin floor/base that came with it. The skunks have dugged under the side of the shed, to burrow under the shed. I've put pavers in the yard Just laid them on the grass (not "installed") and they just dig to the side of those.

As I said, animals are digging under my fence -- to the left and right -- to pass from the neighbors to the left and right also. I joke that it's like an elephant run. They want to get from the yard on my left....to the yard to houses to my right...so they dig under every fence to do it.

I'll have to ask other neighbors further over, if they have those divots under their fence. If they do they might not care though. I do.

Thanks for your ideas. Will definitely look at that.
Where do you live that you have so many critters in and out of your yard?

Old 04-15-2021, 09:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Sell the backyard to a neighbor.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 6,853 times
I recently got drive way extended - 300 Ft got it for $2900. I would suggest to go with artificial grass, looks much better and green 24X7.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:25 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
We have Astro-turf and it’s great. We bought good quality and it’s 9 years old and looks like new. You put down a liner under it so weeds don’t grow through it.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Where do you live that you have so many critters in and out of your yard?
I'm technically in Philly proper, but it's a very suburban feel.....near (1 mile from) a wildlife refugee. And the broader neighborhood 100 years ago was "swampy."

It's nothing to see skunks outside at night/overnight. Or hear them fighting. We heard a terrible sound like animals fighting and thought either it was skunks fighting each other. Or snakes and a possum or raccoon. Or a snake got a hold of one. What ever it was they were squealing like mad.

I've come home and seen a raccoon or 'possum by my garage door.

I'm not out at night, but when I am especially say 1-2 a.m. I'm always on the lookout. Just wouldn't want to startle one. I'm not saying they're roaming like longhorns on a cattle drive, but it's not a surprise to see them.

Rarely we'll see a wild turkey. About a mile from me (closer to the refuge) they have deer.

We don't have rabbits though. In MD I had more rabbits/chipmunks. Three blocks away a friend had a woodchuck/groundhog in her yard.

Oddly enough in MD I didn't see that many squirrels. Here in Philly I'm in a squirrel mecca. It's insane. They're everywhere....getting into attics.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I'm technically in Philly proper, but it's a very suburban feel.....near (1 mile from) a wildlife refugee. And the broader neighborhood 100 years ago was "swampy."

It's nothing to see skunks outside at night/overnight. Or hear them fighting. We heard a terrible sound like animals fighting and thought either it was skunks fighting each other. Or snakes and a possum or raccoon. Or a snake got a hold of one. What ever it was they were squealing like mad.

I've come home and seen a raccoon or 'possum by my garage door.

I'm not out at night, but when I am especially say 1-2 a.m. I'm always on the lookout. Just wouldn't want to startle one. I'm not saying they're roaming like longhorns on a cattle drive, but it's not a surprise to see them.

Rarely we'll see a wild turkey. About a mile from me (closer to the refuge) they have deer.

We don't have rabbits though. In MD I had more rabbits/chipmunks. Three blocks away a friend had a woodchuck/groundhog in her yard.

Oddly enough in MD I didn't see that many squirrels. Here in Philly I'm in a squirrel mecca. It's insane. They're everywhere....getting into attics.
I am about a half mile from the intracoastal, and it's mostly woods for most of that half mile. In fact my small neighborhood is really surrounded by woods on three sides. I certainly have rabbits, every year, and there are squirrels now that the trees are mature. I have even had a deer on my deck - scared me to death I called the cops - I thought it was a prowler LOL. I've had snakes sunning on my front porch too. Harmless ones though. But no critters are running through my yard, or hanging around, or fighting. No skunks ever, never even have I seen a possum in my yard (though I know they are around). But I have a house behind me and beside me, and a privacy fence, so that probably helps keep the riffraff out.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:10 AM

^
Quote:
But I have a house behind me and beside me, and a privacy fence, so that probably helps keep the riffraff out.
I'm in a row house! So when I say I have a house beside me on both sides -- I really mean house attached on both sides -- and a fence. And of course neighbors behind me. And ALL yards are completely fenced.

Some neighbors -- not most by any means -- have concreted over their entire backyard. Of the 10 yards closest to me -- going down my street and the neighboring yards behind me -- I think maybe 3 have done that. BUT others have put on ground floor additions which got rid of some of the yard...and those same yards may also have paved the rest.

Others -- most by all means -- still have all the yard with grass, and maybe planting beds, or have extending the ground level patio to half the yard and left half grass. It just depends.

And yes, some people have concreted over their front yard too. No grass now at all in front. And depending on how that's done. I'd love that look. I'd love the concrete stamped or stained to look like flagstone or slate. I think that's look great. So by no means am I talking about pouring slab concrete and leaving the front OR the back to look like a parking lot.

I've already emailed the landscaper I had called to ask about the Astroturf idea.

The pic shows my ideal fort he front yard, driveway and walkway. Everyone is different and has different tastes of course. But I love that front.

(I'd include more pics but the size is too big, And I don't know how to resize. IF I can figure it out and it's not to time-consuming to learn how, then do, I'll perhaps add more pics of the back yard and front yard.)
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway -- and Getting Rid of Backyard Grass for Pavers or Concrete-my-ideas.jpg  

Last edited by selhars; 04-16-2021 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 07:23 AM

OP here....major metro area in NE....
Got my first estimate, and I'm pleased with it (because I thought it could be twice as much)
(Whether it's a kitchen remodel, new car, or concrete work...isn't it great to find out you actually can afford the first choice of all the options you actually want?!!)

Driveway, walkway, front yard, low cutting some curb:

Plain poured concrete - $ 7,500.00
Price additionally for:
- Liquid color $1,600.00
- Stamped concrete $1,890.00

Some might think it's high. But I'm pleased with it.

I'll see what the second estimate is. But this first company I've seen their work in person, and others in the neighborhood have used them. Some neighbors may also get work done so IF we all get our work done at the same time.....we'll get an additional discount. I'm getting my work done regardless.

The company that's coming next week....I haven't see their work in person. They were recommended by a landscaping company I called. But they don't do hardscape, so they gave me this suggestion.

I really DO think I'll go with the first company. So now I'm torn...do I cancel the second estimate? To be honest I'm leaning toward that. But a friend said still see what they have to say. Maybe they'll give me something additional to think about. Or something will come up that I hadn't thought about before. They could be 2K less and I'd still go with the first company. So I already feel like I'm wasting their time. But my friend said at least talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House