Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 05:06 AM

2,650 posts, read 2,141,941 times

Advertisements

I am getting quotes for a 16' x 20' deck with separate quotes for 2x6 treated pine and 2x6 Trex. The extra cost for Trex run between $1,200 and $1,500. I like the looks of colored (gray) with a gray house, but I know nothing about the longevity of the trex material vs treated pine. But is it worth it in the long run?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 06:39 AM

6,337 posts, read 4,061,568 times
There is virtually no comparison between the appearance, maintenance and longevity between the two materials, go with the Trex (or another composite decking board) and don’t look back!

Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,991,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
There is virtually no comparison between the appearance, maintenance and longevity between the two materials, go with the Trex (or another composite decking board) and don’t look back!
This ^^^

Not sure Trex or other composites come in 2x6. "Treated" pine, otherwise known an Pressure Treated, is about as crappy a material as you can buy. Especially for decks where it deteriorates quickly, has LOTS of splinters/shards, and is very hot under foot.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:00 AM

4,531 posts, read 6,220,391 times
Do your research into man made products...regardless of brand names, some hold up better than others, but all will out perform treated wood.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM

14,315 posts, read 11,797,987 times
The trex will not be 2 inches thick… It’s very strong and very very heavy so it’s usually not dimensional.

It’s a lot more expensive but we have used it here in our high traffic areas that get wet. We have other covered sections of our deck where we’ve used wood but the trex is awesome where it gets wet - and it doesn’t get as slippery either in our moldy mossy conditions. :-) .

Old 04-08-2021, 08:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 6,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not sure Trex or other composites come in 2x6. "Treated" pine, otherwise known an Pressure Treated, is about as crappy a material as you can buy. Especially for decks where it deteriorates quickly, has LOTS of splinters/shards, and is very hot under foot.
20+ years is "deteriorates quickly"? If you don't use Kiln Dried, PT will certainly shrink during the first year. What is the temperature difference between Trex and PT ? Both can get pretty hot.

Cedar and Redwood are other options to consider.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:12 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am getting quotes for a 16' x 20' deck with separate quotes for 2x6 treated pine and 2x6 Trex. The extra cost for Trex run between $1,200 and $1,500. I like the looks of colored (gray) with a gray house, but I know nothing about the longevity of the trex material vs treated pine. But is it worth it in the long run?

This subject matter has been cussed, discussed, hashed, and rehashed soooooooooo many times here on the House Forum it's reached "Beat the dead horse" status! So, there's nothing I can say that will change anything that has been said in this thread or any of the other threads in the past! It's either you like it, or you don't (I'm in the real wood section personally- the PVC section professionally).

To answer your question ("...is it worth it?")- that depends! It falls into basically two different categories. One, it's the initial financial investment. And two, the amount of work you're willing to do (or pay for) to maintain it. Contrary to popular believe, composite can require as much maintenance as PT- depending on the quality. It also depends on the environment. I'll assume this is in Bella Vista*; exposure is a good 4 seasons- Summer temperatures can reach the 90's and winter snow. Is it covered by trees- to infer sap droppings, pollen, etc. All of this exposure requires some type of maintenance; regardless of the material.

Then there's the way it's constructed- is it being permitted? Does the AHJ follow the latest DCA-6 requirements? are they taking any additional steps that are not requirements, but have been proven to extend the life of the structural members (i.e., PT joists)?

There's no 2X composite material- and why anyone would use 2X dimensional for "decking" is just a waste of money. And with the price of lumber right now, you'll most likely get very inflated quotes! Do your planning now- but I'd wait until lumber prices subside.

*As a architecture admirer, One of my favorites is the Cooper Chapel.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:21 PM

2,650 posts, read 2,141,941 times
We are going back and forth on this. If we go with pt wood we would use the additional $$ for patio furniture. After buying the house we have a specific amount of $$ we want to use for this.
All of the bids are familiar with the local POA/ACC requirements and they will do the permitting for it also. We are not under any direct trees. I would love to wait until the lumber prices go down, but who knows when that will happen. I want/need something to do my grilling/smoking on and this is the best option. The slope of the land is not feasible for a ground (pavers) patio setup. To add a plus to the pt wood side the Trex material is backordered and has been for a while.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
My deck is 5/4 Cedar, and with a color-tinted stain every other year, it's now 23 years old, with only 2 small places having to be replaced in that time. Pine will not last nearly as long, I would never use it. The people I know with Trex or other similar plastic composites have not had any rot over many years, but it does tend to attract moss in our wet climate, and needs annual pressure washing. I don't get that on my Cedar, but it gets really slippery when it's below freezing.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:51 AM

3,175 posts, read 1,565,088 times
Another option is Ipe, no stain or paint, it will turn a nice grey, no rot, no splinters, is fireproof, and supposedly will last 50 years. Some boardwalks use Ipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House