Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 04:23 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times

Advertisements

My master bedroom is 11x22 i think. I have a small 5x7 attached bath and a very small closet. We have standing wardrobes along one wall, a king size bed, 2 nightstands and a long dresser. I dont need any more space than that.

We have 9 kids spread across 4 bedrooms. 3 boys in 1, 2 boys in another, 3 girls in 1 and the youngest boy in the last. The single kids bedroom is 8x10. It barely fits his stuff but hes by himself.

We are finishing the basement to have a tv room so there is more space for the kids to spread out. On a regular basis we dont use our bedroom for anything except storing our clothing and nighttime stuff. At christmas thats where I wrap presents. And sometimes when the kids all pile into the living room I get too crowded and retreat to my bed to watch tv. The boys broke the tv in their room so now they dont have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The comment that amuses me is " it needs a space to hang out and relax in" after touring a house that has living room, open kitchen/dining room, bedrooms for all, media room, maybe a deck or patio...but they are still convinced they need ANOTHER hanging out space? Then once they actually have to heat or cool that mini-mall they'll complain about their utility costs.
This is all scripted so nothing is really what the couple thinks
And writers for this series ask the LEAST important questions anyone looking for a house needs to ask
How good are the schools
How much are the taxes
Is there an HOA; if so, how much are the dues
What is the commute to X like
What companies offer Internet

Old 04-19-2021, 08:02 AM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't get it either... unless, as with one of our clients, they want to have a large space that can be a live-in ADU type space for elder inlaws. THAT makes sense.

To me, it's even more silly if they are doing it because they want to have some private place to hide from the kids. Kids hide from their parents. Parents don't hide from their kids.

IMHO
You haven't met my kids.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:03 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
We get to laugh a lot at the folks on the home improvement channels, but this one really floors me. All of a sudden everyone has to proclaim that the master bedroom isn't big enough.

How much time are people spending in their bedrooms? Me, after I am up and dressed, I am elsewhere in my house and when I am asleep, I don't care how big the room is.

I recently watched one woman declare that the master wasn't big enough and the room had a huge bed, large furniture, and a sitting area with a couple of easy chairs, a table and some reading lamps.

What are all those people needing all that space for? Maybe they want to take up parkour as part of their affection routine?

I agree, it really is ridicoulos the way they carry on that it is "not big" enough.
Ugh, who the hell would want to have to walk across a room to get something out of a drawer.
Personally, I don't think the master really needs to be that big, just big enough for the furniture to fit comfortably.Were in an apartment, so everything is on one floor so we would more likely be in the bedroom as opposed to one that is on the second floor of a house, as we watch TV in the bed every night, and I fold clothes on the bed....

but really, how big does the master have to be???? really???

HGTV has really brainwashed some people......

Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'll take that! Right now I'm in a 1,360 sqft row house.

Yes. We Americans are spoiled when it comes to room sizes.

I lived in Europe for a while. And yeah, some rooms there are crazy small. AND some places they need to take off floor space for freestanding wardrobes, due to no in the wall closets. Talk about tight!

And when I see shows about space in Asia. Those spaces are tighter than in Europe.

IF a BR is 12x12 and you need freestanding wardrobes/closets -- by the time you add the bed, nightstands you can barely get around the bed. Add a bench/chair and dresser...and that could mean a lot of stubs toes!
So true. But American's have so much more stuff.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Since everything else is an open floor concept, maybe they need a place to escape and have some privacy?
Master bedrooms are usually a decent size, but secondary bedrooms - those for kids are way too small in my opinion. Kids definitely need more space - they like to be in their room where they sleep, play, do homework, read/listen to music, spend time on the computer and entertain friends.
Sadly, even large houses tend to have small(ish) bedrooms and lots of space is definitely wasted.
Yeah, but kids aren't paying for the house. But I agree. Often those bedrooms are too small.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm old school.
I know "things change" but if generations of kids before today can share a bedroom until they go off to college -- and sometimes even after that -- then kids today can do it to. Generations of families have raised four or five kids in a three bedroom house, and somehow everyone managed to turn out OK.

And my parents were clear, KIDS don't have any privacy in this house. When you start paying the mortgage, and for your own food and clothes, then you might be eligible for some privacy around here. We were good kids so we were never behavioral problems. But they more than once when hearing about other parents that let their kids control them...."I'll take the door off the hinges, then see how much privacy you have."

And I'll conjecture that part of the reason parents today don't know all the bad stuff their kids are into is because they let kids have their privacy and stay holed up in their rooms with kids having their own rooms since infancy, never sharing even with another sibling. I wouldn't dare tell my parents this is MY room you can't come in.....they'd think I'd lost my mind.

The End.
My kids try to pull the my room thing and I tell them the same thing. When you pay the bills, you get to make the rules. I don't rifle through their stuff but I tell them they get no expectation of privacy on their phones.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
My parents had a tv and sitting area back in the late 1970's...It DID seem pretty luxurious when they built on that part of the house with his/her closets, small mirrored sitdown vanity makeup area for my mom, etc. BUT...we had a living room only. No other family room, no big finished basement. Now most homes have all those things, as well as kids in separate rooms, etc.

I think it's just the whole "bigger is better" let's add some "luxury" with all this extra money we have?

Old 04-19-2021, 08:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Since everything else is an open floor concept, maybe they need a place to escape and have some privacy?
Master bedrooms are usually a decent size, but secondary bedrooms - those for kids are way too small in my opinion. Kids definitely need more space - they like to be in their room where they sleep, play, do homework, read/listen to music, spend time on the computer and entertain friends.
Sadly, even large houses tend to have small(ish) bedrooms and lots of space is definitely wasted.
I've noticed this a lot even in new home builds. My mom's house had a huge master bedroom complete with a sitting room. However the two spare bedrooms were only 10x11 and only had room for a queen bed, one night table and a small dresser. To make matters worse the closet was only about 4 feet. I stayed in that room a few times. These days if you had teenagers a room that small would be difficult.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
All the bedrooms in my current home are large with high ceilings (12ft) The four guest rooms are 18x18 and the master is 23x25.

I don’t like small cramped rooms.. I like the open feeling, the bright light from the large windows and the large closets (walk-in and built ins).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House