Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 01:26 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times

Advertisements

We get to laugh a lot at the folks on the home improvement channels, but this one really floors me. All of a sudden everyone has to proclaim that the master bedroom isn't big enough.

How much time are people spending in their bedrooms? Me, after I am up and dressed, I am elsewhere in my house and when I am asleep, I don't care how big the room is.

I recently watched one woman declare that the master wasn't big enough and the room had a huge bed, large furniture, and a sitting area with a couple of easy chairs, a table and some reading lamps.

What are all those people needing all that space for? Maybe they want to take up parkour as part of their affection routine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 02:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
I'm thinking it's more for people with teenagers...they want their own private sitting area with big comfy chairs, tv, maybe a little coffee bar with minifridge and micro...whatever. And of course ever enlarging closets and sometimes his and hers baths. It all takes space! ha

Old 04-18-2021, 02:10 PM

14,469 posts, read 12,095,136 times
I don't get it either... unless, as with one of our clients, they want to have a large space that can be a live-in ADU type space for elder inlaws. THAT makes sense.

To me, it's even more silly if they are doing it because they want to have some private place to hide from the kids. Kids hide from their parents. Parents don't hide from their kids.

IMHO

Old 04-18-2021, 02:28 PM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
I prefer having a huge walk in closet with drawers, a full length mirror and a chair or area with a stool to put on shoes or boots this way there is no need to have dressers or armoires in the master bedroom.

Just a good size bed with two nightstands has always been my choice for furnishing a master bedroom.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:57 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
The comment that amuses me is " it needs a space to hang out and relax in" after touring a house that has living room, open kitchen/dining room, bedrooms for all, media room, maybe a deck or patio...but they are still convinced they need ANOTHER hanging out space? Then once they actually have to heat or cool that mini-mall they'll complain about their utility costs.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-18-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 05:05 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Kids hide from their parents. Parents don't hide from their kids.
Oh I've met a few who do! Memorably, the pastor of my parents' church many years ago. Their kids (at least 4...not sure, they moved around too fast) were Anti-Cherubs. Mom was vapid but useless, retreating into their bedroom whenever possible. Dad never home. Oldest child was usually in detention or missing. I babysat for them a few times. Home was not sweet. I remember trying to escape the second youngest kid who was chasing me with a bucket of water...indoors. I hid behind the suits in the pastor's closet, but if he'd found me there I'm pretty sure he would have thrown it anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-18-2021 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 05:17 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
We are behind the times, then. Our "master" is 12x13 with an 8 foot long closet that barely holds our clothes. The bathroom, the only one in the house, is between our room and the other bedroom. Yes, folks, it is possible to live in a 1400 sq ft 2/1 with a family of 3.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The comment that amuses me is " it needs a space to hang out and relax in" after touring a house that has living room, open kitchen/dining room, bedrooms for all, media room, maybe a deck or patio...but they are still convinced they need ANOTHER hanging out space? Then once they actually have to heat or cool that mini-mall they'll complain about their utility costs.
I thought the huge master was a defunct trend. I do agree that a huge bedroom is often not needed. But in some homes it might be where adults can watch TV in peace—or listen to music, or read a book. If you have young teens, it could be a haven. However, once the teens learn to drive, they are out of the house most of the time. The years when adults need their little havens are short.

After my kids left home, I found I could relax wherever I wanted. I had access to several rooms, in fact.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:25 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We are behind the times, then. Our "master" is 12x13 with an 8 foot long closet that barely holds our clothes. The bathroom, the only one in the house, is between our room and the other bedroom. Yes, folks, it is possible to live in a 1400 sq ft 2/1 with a family of 3.
We have 1300 square feet with a family of 5, but at least there are 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. There is just not much of anything else. I would happily take some square feet off the master and add it to the other two bedrooms, which are tiny.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:31 PM

6,861 posts, read 4,856,991 times
My first house many years ago only had two bedrooms. I used one for the bed and nightstands, and the other as a large walk in closet. The house was built in 1923 and the closets in the bedrooms were only had three feet for hanging clothes in one bedroom and six feet in the other.
It made up for it by having a large kitchen. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House