Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 01:13 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,320,347 times

Advertisements

I tried putting a few drops of Pine Sol in the water container at first but found it made the tiles look duller. I guess the tiles would have needed rinsing.

My neighbor puts a little vinegar in hers. I'm not sure what that would do. It seems strange not to put anything in it - when I mop the floors I put detergent in the water. Why wouldn't I do that with the steamer?

I have been using nothing but plain water, though. What does everyone else do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 01:31 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,018,776 times
The few times I've used a steamer all I wanted was the sterilizing effect of the steam. Plain water heated to boiling does that just fine. If I needed to remove some sort of soil by chemical/mechanical reaction I wouldn't be using a steamer, I'd be using a cleaning solution (soap, detergent, whatever) and an appropriate scrubber.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-09-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 01:50 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,792,018 times
I just use distilled water as the directions say. I always vacuum first - that's really important or dust and lint, leaves, etc., will turn to goo and stick to the pad or smear around. If I had something really nasty stuck to the floor, I'd clean that specific area up first before steam cleaning. I've tried using the little foot thing for scrubbing but it's really awkward.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:08 PM

OK, sounds like just steam is ok. I usually sweep or vacuum first so no bits (well, the occasional bit) to push around. I haven't really had any problems but wondered if I were doing the thing the optimum way.

For me, the worst part is scrubbing the pad afterward. It's always really black even though I thought my floors were clean when I started!

Old 05-09-2021, 03:39 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,792,018 times
Yes! I'm always amazed how gray the pad is afterwards. Even after a run in the washer, it still is dingy. I thought it might be our local dirt aka gray clay but my property is fully landscaped and with no bare dirt . . . it just shows up on the pad. You're not alone!

Old 05-09-2021, 09:16 PM

23,617 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I tried putting a few drops of Pine Sol in the water container at first but found it made the tiles look duller. I guess the tiles would have needed rinsing.

My neighbor puts a little vinegar in hers. I'm not sure what that would do. It seems strange not to put anything in it - when I mop the floors I put detergent in the water. Why wouldn't I do that with the steamer?

I have been using nothing but plain water, though. What does everyone else do?
Thank goodness you have agreed to just use water. There is a safety issue with putting anything else in the small steamers. The high heat can break down chemical bonds, any substance like pine oil can create a clog, and crap like vinegar under high heat will LITERALLY eat away at the metal of the pressure vessel.

Your neighbor needs to STOP. IMMEDIATELY. Best case scenario, the pressure vessel will develop a pinhole leak making it worthless. Worst case scenario, take a look on you tube for steam locomotive boiler explosions.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:39 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,050,808 times
I use distilled water usually.

I still mop with a swiffer wet pad in between or sometimes use a regular mop with a little lysol and water. You can't use much or it will cloud the tile.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:18 AM

4,733 posts, read 4,439,312 times
I use a shark steam mop and only use tap water. It's wonderful though maybe I should be using distilled.Anyway for like $59 it's about 2 years old and I love it. I did have to replace one after about 5 years but for the price- it's great.
Only water. I have once or twice sprayed something on the floor like pinesol or fantastic ( this is tile floor. when I get LVP in another month or so,it cannot be used on LVP. I will still use it on the tile though)

Old 05-10-2021, 02:07 PM

OK I copied your advice about not using anything, especially vinegar, in the steamer - and sent it to my neighbor. Hopefully she will take notice. Cheers.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 8,310 times
Do any of you have issues with streaking? Mine made my floors look pretty messy on every use. It was eventually relegated to that corner of my basement where the of unused appliances live. My tile is darker, so maybe that's the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House