Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:26 PM

30,198 posts, read 20,929,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
For the record, I do not know a single person who has bought a Samsung refrigerator and NOT had problems with it. There are actually several class action lawsuits involving them. I'd definitely avoid.
Even their TV's turn on by them selfs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,561,161 times
My experience (others' experiences may differ) has been the models with the fancier bells and whistles are more prone to having problems and needing various repairs than the simple no-frills models.

The only problem is that those have much more limited storage space so if anyone has suggestions for a simple and reliable refrigerator with as much storage space as the larger, fancier models, without having to purchase a standalone freezer, that would be welcomed.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,593,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
All stuff is made to break jake. This is not the 60's anymore dorthy. Plenty stayed in biss thru the 1950's to the 90's.
And, at least 3 superfluous apostrophes have escaped since then.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:24 AM

276 posts, read 278,988 times
We have a Stainless Steel side by side Frigidaire refrig in our apartment rental which we love, much better than expensive GE profile refrig which we had in our last home…the freezer could never be regulated on the GE freezer.. a joke.. I would bring home ice cream at a perfect temp, the next day it would be hard as a rock.. GE repairmen could not diagnose the issue in the first year.. people resorted to putting them in garage to be used as a second and buying a new one.. awful!

Old 05-06-2021, 11:54 AM

858 posts, read 1,797,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From other comments, maybe so...maybe it was a bad batch of plastic the day they built ours? It does keep food cold and that's a winning situation despite the innards cracking and breaking...

We had to replace our fridge for exactly the same reason. It had 1 or 2 breaks in the plastic frame around the tempered glass shelves when we bought the house, but more kept breaking, to the point we were concerned the glass would collapse. It was a Kenmore Elite Fridge. Replacements were hard to find and very expensive.

It was ridiculous. But you're not the only one. We found several reports of people with the same issue for our model. I think the plastic cannot flex with the weight of the item on the shelves and just breaks. In our case the breaks were in the middle of the shelf at the front.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:00 PM

7,068 posts, read 12,580,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We had to replace our fridge for exactly the same reason. It had 1 or 2 breaks in the plastic frame around the tempered glass shelves when we bought the house, but more kept breaking, to the point we were concerned the glass would collapse. It was a Kenmore Elite Fridge. Replacements were hard to find and very expensive.

It was ridiculous. But you're not the only one. We found several reports of people with the same issue for our model. I think the plastic cannot flex with the weight of the item on the shelves and just breaks. In our case the breaks were in the middle of the shelf at the front.
Yep, we can have plastics that can help put a man into space but can't have plastics in refrigerators that can survive cold temperatures. Maybe that's the plan? Either get replacement parts at a high cost--or get a new frig and start all over again.

Our previous frig--from the 80's-- never had a broken shelf or crisper--and the plastic was way, way thicker...the quality was so much better then...

Old 05-09-2021, 12:49 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,922,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Never in my life have I had any shelf or drawer break on any model fridge I have owned.
+1

My present fridge is a $700 Sears no frills freezer-on-top model that I bought 6 years ago when I moved. No problems. It's the same model that I bought immediately after Hurricane Katrina, and then had at the old house for 10 years. No problems.

I am probably wrong but I tend to think that the more frills a fridge has, the more repairs it will require.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House