Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 5,768 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
After going through the crazy housing market, we finally have a place of our own. I am a First time home buyer and pretty excited to make it look "good". As a first step, I am thinking of painting the exterior. However, I am not sure what color scheme would go well. Few concerns

1. This house has a low sloped roof but most homes in the neghboorhod have a steep slope so the house doesn't stand out as much
2. This house is smaller compared to most homes around so want to make it pop out rather than feel like a tiny box
3. It has some brick parts at the front, and also a brick fence base, right now it's red (and I'll add a white fence later) but not sure which color would look good.
4. There is a tree in the front yard blocking the view, should I get rid of it before painting?

My style is clean, minimal but stylish.
I was thinking white and chocolate but I am totally open to any suggestions.

here are some pics of the house: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/paint-pj-vj~6629673
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 02:53 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,954,182 times
I would NOT paint the brick. You have a low-maintenance for a lifetime surface there. Once you paint it, you'll have to keep painting it.

Not sure why you would get rid of that tree either!

No need to rush these things.... move in and live there awhile before you go changing things that can't be undone.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:55 PM

765 posts, read 615,672 times
I agree about not painting the brick. A nice tan/off-white on the non-brick parts usually looks really nice. Either that or going the other direction with a dark brown.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:00 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
I like the tree - I would just trim and shape it up.

The house is very mid-century (in a good way). I would look up "mid-century modern" paint ideas for houses homes" and then decide.

It could be a very clean all white or gray . . . with black trim.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 05-22-2021 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 03:48 PM

23,077 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would NOT paint the brick. You have a low-maintenance for a lifetime surface there. Once you paint it, you'll have to keep painting it.

Not sure why you would get rid of that tree either!

No need to rush these things.... move in and live there awhile before you go changing things that can't be undone.
Agree about the tree especially. After living in the house a while you may find the tree shades/cools the house/yard at just the right times (summer is coming), provides a bit more privacy, buffers street noise, or blocks glare from an obnoxious street light. If you cut it down you'll have years to regret it...while you wait for its replacement to provide the same benefits.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-22-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 04:07 PM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Slow down.
You just moved in.

Spend your mental energy and money on taking care of what needs to be taken care of.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,364,460 times
I agree with others: don't paint the brick. If you want to paint something, the front porch looks like it could use a fresh coat and the metal fence looks like the paint is oxidized. I think the fence color and design are fine--it looks more upscale than the fancy white one next door.

Like the tree, the light color of the house might help keep it cool. You might trim the smaller bushes just a little if they're blocking your view.

Overall, I think your house looks very nice and I wouldn't change much of anything. But take it from a 25-year homeowner: you'll have no shortage of repairs and maintenance to do on your house over the years.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:38 PM

3,342 posts, read 1,929,801 times
Spend the money to have an arborist do the trimming on the tree. It will make a world of difference once its cleaned up and I'm sure you'll be happy you kept it.

I personally dislike brown paint on a house. To me brown paint just looks dull and sad. How about a light cool blue next to the red brick? Very MCM.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:19 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
Don't paint the brick, leave the tree and if you must paint something, perhaps the trim. Maybe brick red trim to go with the bricks? In any case, live in it for awhile before making big changes. Once you've been there for awhile, you may want something different than you do now.

Oh, and congratulations on your first house! Are you going to plant a garden?

Old 05-23-2021, 06:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,106,536 times
You do realize that now every nutjob on the board knows who you really are and where you live...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House