Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 09:52 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

I could tell you parking stories...anyways this depends on the rules of the area.

There's a place I know of that had these no parking signs on a public street but they faded with time. The city tried to enforce it but it went back and forth. Some of the arguments on the street mirrored a bit of what you said. There were elderly people that for some reason had their spots taken by someone else.

Parking displaces other parking. If one party enforces then it spills onto others. But ^^^ is true. Contact the company and say it's a issue. They'll tell the driver(which might be changing) to do. I did that once before and they never parked there again. Private drivers don't want violations or bad press these days so they'll move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Put some bulky trash items at the curb and leave them there.
Yep, similar 'issue' in the past, which was quickly 'solved' by simply parking my little trailer out in front (appropriately 'secured' as well). And no doubt you can also find some similarly 'vehicle-sized' item(s), strategically-placed to accomplish the same 'purpose'. Also depends on the degree of local 'enforcement', but in my neck of the woods, it's not uncommon for some folks to even lay a timber or a line of rocks extending a couple feet out in front, to further 'mark' the property line.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:43 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, if it's a public street with no assigned or permitted parking, there is really nothing you can do.
If they are parking in such a manner to interfere with you getting into your own driveway, then I would walk over there AND SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT THAT.
Remember how we used to do that? Talk to each other?
I've had that problem before with people blocking access to my driveway (particularly contractors who don't realize that there's a driveway there because it's a steep, below-grade garage. Not everyone has off-street parking on my street, so they assume that there's not a driveway there when they don't see it at first glance.)

Parking in front of my house I don't mind as it's a public street over which I have zero say.--just don't block my driveway is all I ask.

All it took for drivers/parkers to be more mindful was a quick "hi!" and a polite chat (and in one case, a note because I never was able to see my neighbor when he was parking his truck) and people became more mindful of not blocking my driveway. By the way, I came home to a case of beer and a note on my front porch from the neighbor with the truck as an apology, too, which wasn't necessary, but greatly enjoyed!

Take a chance and have a chat when you see people pulling in and blocking your drive, i.e., ask that they don't block your drive, but don't be the person who acts like they own the street in front their house. That, or you could get yourself a pair of "parking chairs" and leave them in front of your house in that spot to prevent folks from parking there 'n' 'at!

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 05-26-2021 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 03:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If you can find out the name of the company, hospital, or service that the health workers work for… call and complain to the employer that their employee is blocking your driveway. I know they’re not but you can say they are and that they need to park someplace else. See if that works.
That seems like a horrible thing to do, calling someones employer and making a false complaint against them.

And what is that going to solve? They're not blocking the driveway where they're parking, so they'll continue parking there. It's just going to make the OP seem crazy making false claims against her neighbor's in home nurse and could cause issues between the OP and her neighbors. I know I wouldn't be too friendly towards a neighbor who made false reports about an elderly relatives in home care team.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:45 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would start with a note on the windshield that read: I am glad you are taking good care of *neighbor's name*. If you could please leave me a couple more feet clear around my driveway, I'm having a difficult time getting in and out of my driveway with you parked so close to the edge of my driveway. I could use just a tiny bit more room.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 05-26-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
If one day I get a large delivery of an appliance or furniture set, which I plan on soon, I will have to knock and tell them they need to move for the delivery. Overall, I think it's just rude to assume I won't need the space in front of my house for my own guests.
The neighbors and their guests park their cars in front of my house every day. If I have guests come over, they can park in my driveway or they can hunt for street parking like everyone else. The other posters who wisely commented that there may be a medical reason they are leaving the driveway clear (for EMS since there's probably a higher likelihood this lady has a medical event) may be onto something.

Be thankful you and your mother are healthy. Be kinder to people than you have to be. Life can change in an instant. That is all.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
That's the point. My guests DO park in my driveway every time, so why don't theirs?
Did you read the responses in the thread? It may be that the driveway is being left clear in the event EMS is called so that a gurney can be brought out through the driveway more easily.

Quote:
I know it's public and I have no say. I just find it rude. What if I needed an ambulance? There was no way one was fitting up my driveway where they were parked today.
Oh please. Your problem is you're annoyed they're parking in front of your house because you think you should "own" that place for your guests to use and no one else should get to use it otherwise. But to answer your question 1) the ambulance isn't coming up your driveway, just the gurney 2) A healthy young person is statistically far less likely to need EMS called out than an elderly woman with severe dementia who needs fulltime caregivers. So it makes sense that they might have that sort of protocol in place for her (hypothetically.)

Old 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Right now someone is parked in front of my house, almost blocking my driveway. They aren't blocking it, but I have a skinny driveway that requires an awkward slight turn to get into.
Here's another suggestion: widen your driveway apron to give yourself more room to get in and out and less curb for people to park at. Even an additional 6 inches on each side will help you maneuver your driveway more easily.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:24 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
OK so don't get hung up on "false reports".....
...and the caller doesn't HAVE to leave their name.

.....just say "your employee who visits XYZ house (or your vehicle) is making it difficult for others such as neighbors and delivery vehicles to park. I thought you would want to know they're violating parking regulations which I know you wouldn't want them to do. I can't imagine that would be company policy to violate local parking regulations especially ones that create public hazard and safety issues."

If the ordinance says a car has to park X number -- let's say 6 feet from a driveway and the worker is parking closer than that -- only 4 feet away -- then they ARE in violation.

That's honest.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:12 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
This probably won’t help you, but you may find the antiquated parking rules in U.K. amusing.
(For council, think Local Authority.)

What If Someone Parks Across My Driveway?
The problem with these Highway Code rules is that they refer to obstructions to the road, and not to obstructions to private land. If someone parks across your driveway, call the council first, and tell them about the situation. The council will generally only act on these complaints if they’re made by the owner of the property in question. You could also consider calling the police on their non-emergency number, 101.

The bad news is that there are some circumstances in which the police are powerless to act. For example, if the car parked across your driveway is fully taxed and insured, then it can’t be considered an abandoned vehicle, so it can’t be towed. Also, if it’s not causing an obstruction – that is, if you can still get in and out of your driveway – then again, the police can’t help you. So long as they’re obeying all local parking restrictions, then technically they’re not breaking the law.

If the car’s been parked across your drive for a month or more, then the council might consider the vehicle to be abandoned. You can then request for it to be removed, and you can make your request online.

If the car actually parks on your driveway, it’s a different matter entirely. That’s trespassing on private property, which is a civil offence. This means the police may get involved, and may help you move the vehicle on.

So the bad news is that there’s not a lot you can do if a car parks across your driveway. You have the same rights as all road users, which unfortunately means you have no legal right to park in front of your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House