Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:40 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We had these last year, and had Terminex come out and do a comprehensive program to get rid of them, they put all the mattresses into this bed bug proof encasements, (the bed bugs cannot get thru this cover, its specifically designed for Terminex), but the bed is exactly where I saw them?! Ive only seen a couple full size ones and I saw some of the babies as well...so if they are not able to get to the mattress, where are they staying at? (pillows maybe)

The room has hardwood floors, and I have a throw rug on the floor where my bed is, its right next to a wall, and have a headboard, so is it possible they are staying in these places?

I did read about some traps that you can put on the legs of your bed, that the bugs get trapped in, but I guess I have to find out where they are staying at first, if they are in the pillows, would be a waste of time putting traps on the legs of the bed.

Something that surprised me about bed bugs, apparently they communicate with other bed begs, (thru Phermones somehow), and they say if one gets caught in a trap, it will panic and immediately send out an alert for others to avoid this area! Are bed bugs really this intelligent?!

Are you sure they're bedbugs and not carpet beetles? My daughter thought she had bedbugs too, it was carpet beetles. I hear they're pretty common.

I've also heard that about things like glue traps that they avoid them because they can smell the glue or something. Hers were always clean except one had one of those Millipedes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
OMG, the thought of bed bugs living under a barrier that I'm sleeping on is more than I can bear.

BTW, when my sisters and I visited NY, and they have bedbugs, the suggestion was to always check the corner seams of the mattress, these beasts like to hide there......ugh.
If its a barrier they cannot get thru, that doesnt bother me that much, they will be dead before long, from not eating, or they will dry out, which ever comes first.

And Yes, when Terminex treated, they did not treat cracks and crevices, they treated the mattress, and I believe my office chair.

This time they wanted around $1200 for a 6 month guarantee (that seems way too high for 6 month).

Old 05-28-2021, 09:49 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
If its a barrier they cannot get thru, that doesnt bother me that much, they will be dead before long, from not eating, or they will dry out, which ever comes first.

And Yes, when Terminex treated, they did not treat cracks and crevices, they treated the mattress, and I believe my office chair.

This time they wanted around $1200 for a 6 month guarantee (that seems way too high for 6 month).
Ah yes, the utter incompetence I've come to expect from some T franchisees. See the sticky, tell 'em to stuff their "service." If you have to use a service, hire one that DOES something. This is one area where local companies can be better - check the BBB and online reviews, look at the years in business, and ask questions. The tech you had was ... ... (southern manners kicking in) ... bless his little heart.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:11 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,675,553 times
Quote:

If you want instructions to what worked for me message me and for less than $100 you will be rid of them. You should also get a new bed or new bug proof covers.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:49 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,111,948 times
We had bedbugs years ago. Exterminators didn't help. They were living in the cracks between the wood. What finally stopped them was resealing our wood floors. I did it myself. It wasn't the best job as I didn't sand the floors first. I really didn't care - I just wanted them gone.

You need new pillows - I can't believe they put an encasement around your bed and not your pillows.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:50 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Diatomaceous earth. It's cheap, no odor, non toxic. It works for bedbugs, fleas, ants etc. Get a spreader or shaker can for it and cover all surfaces in the room that are likely to harbor insects - including throw rugs.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:59 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
Tell us if you're in your own stand alone house, a connected townhouse complex, or a high rise concrete condo. Bed bugs don't like light; you'' find them in the clefts of linen pillows, couches, etc. and they get pretty obvious. you'll also see dark spots which are their fecal matter. And no, they don't THIMK but then again ..................

Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jesus H. Throw out the freaking mattress. Why on earth would you keep it??
This!

Old 05-29-2021, 04:43 AM

30,389 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Heat kills them.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:41 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,043,296 times
Quote:
Yes, I just noticed them a few days ago.

Mattress still has the encasement on it, im assuming they are living in the pillows or the throw rug on the floor.

Terminex told us to NEVER remove the mattress encasement, (so I know the bugs are not in the mattress)

I dealt with these in Florida once, they hide in/behind dresser drawers and such.
It took me the better part of a day, had to empty drawers, closets, remove mattresses from frames. I basically emptied the room.
Then I set off a huge bomb, and went to lunch.
The solution was permanent, but what a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House