Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 02:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Is this hurting the washer?

(like when it's on spin cycle)

IDK if eventually the floor underneath is going to get leveled or the handyman will adjust the washer to compensate, but I am doing a lot of extra laundry and wondering am I tearing up my new washer?

(the mini ones for apts/condos, the dryer is stacked on top of the washer)

The leveler says y = .6

The w/d installers came out and said the feet won't adjust that much (really? half an inch?) and that it's not their job anyway. The feet are self levelling so it's level with the floor if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 03:05 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
You need to resolve the floor sinking issue, it will get better by itself. It sounds llke the subfloor needs repairs. You can put extra spacers under the washer as a temporary fix but call a contractor soon.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Always best not to leave the adjustable legs fully extended so to correct that, you could purchase shims that are made of wood, vinyls or rubber and place them under the adjustable legs so that the washer is perfectly level.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Keeping vibration to a minimum makes life easier for the machine's mechanicals. Vibration, strain and stress can lead to leaks. Especially if its a front loader as they spin at higher speeds than top loaders. If the self leveling feet won't adjust enough, put a shim under them.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:12 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Always best not to leave the adjustable legs fully extended so to correct that, you could purchase shims that are made of wood, vinyls or rubber and place them under the adjustable legs so that the washer is perfectly level.
Agree. A leg that's extended all the way is weaker.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You need to resolve the floor sinking issue, it will get better by itself. It sounds llke the subfloor needs repairs. You can put extra spacers under the washer as a temporary fix but call a contractor soon.
LOL! The laughing is not at you. Contractor says we're going to level one room at a time because moving everything from room to room is cheaper than hauling all my stuff downstairs into a pod or whatever.

The HOA is responsible for the subfloor and they are stuck on me providing proof that the cracks are damage and they photos of the 'damage' I suspect they are going to say regular hairline cracks are normal wear and tear, which I don't think matters.

Governing documents say 'maintenance and repair of subfloors is the responsibility of the association' not 'if the damage is HOA related'

So my reply email included a bit about that, but mainly what about the fact that it isn't LEVEL and sent an article about how if everything is leaning towards the middle that indicates such and such and the leveling compound you pour won't be sufficient.

No reply.

My contractor is THEIR 'vendor' who is supposed to evaluate this. According to the article I read he needs to come with a laser tool.

It's a concrete subfloor. Our building was on the priority one list for foundation repair because it was one of the worst off, and during repair we were jacked up and plopped down, so yeah there is 'damage' whether the size of the cracks in the concrete say so or not.

For now I want to know if I am hurting my washer. It's new! I want it to last a long time!

Old 06-07-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Keeping vibration to a minimum makes life easier for the machine's mechanicals. Vibration, strain and stress can lead to leaks. Especially if its a front loader as they spin at higher speeds than top loaders. If the self leveling feet won't adjust enough, put a shim under them.
Ok so in the meantime refrain from using the extra high spin cycle.

That will suck for towels that will then require more time in the dryer, but if it will help the washer it's probably a good trade.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. A leg that's extended all the way is weaker.
Excellent information, thanks to both of you. !

Old 06-07-2021, 04:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL! The laughing is not at you. Contractor says we're going to level one room at a time because moving everything from room to room is cheaper than hauling all my stuff downstairs into a pod or whatever.

The HOA is responsible for the subfloor and they are stuck on me providing proof that the cracks are damage and they photos of the 'damage' I suspect they are going to say regular hairline cracks are normal wear and tear, which I don't think matters.

Governing documents say 'maintenance and repair of subfloors is the responsibility of the association' not 'if the damage is HOA related'

So my reply email included a bit about that, but mainly what about the fact that it isn't LEVEL and sent an article about how if everything is leaning towards the middle that indicates such and such and the leveling compound you pour won't be sufficient.

No reply.

My contractor is THEIR 'vendor' who is supposed to evaluate this. According to the article I read he needs to come with a laser tool.

It's a concrete subfloor. Our building was on the priority one list for foundation repair because it was one of the worst off, and during repair we were jacked up and plopped down, so yeah there is 'damage' whether the size of the cracks in the concrete say so or not.

For now I want to know if I am hurting my washer. It's new! I want it to last a long time!
Are you sure you don't live in my former condo?
I hope you don't have a tile roof because when it leaks, that is also your problem.
MOVE, there is no end to their b.s.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Are you sure you don't live in my former condo?
I hope you don't have a tile roof because when it leaks, that is also your problem.
MOVE, there is no end to their b.s.
I understand where you are coming from. They are not that bad here. Some are just stuck on reading the governing docs how they WANT TO instead of what they actually say!

They confuse 'fault' with 'responsibility' sometimes.

Like it's not their 'fault' that weather and time ruined the caulking around my windows, but it is their 'responsibility' regardless.

I think they believe that my sub floor cracks are only for them to pay for if it's due to foundational shift and/or repair, and I disagree, but I don't see how it matters, so I didn't harp on that.

I said 'I don't think it matters because the floor is definitely not level, and the leveling compound will fill in cracks w/o regard for if they are normal wear and tear or 'damage' in my last email.

For now I just want to protect the washer. I am specifically doing extra rinsing and spinning this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House