Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 01:43 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,755,500 times

Advertisements

What is a hurricane proof garage door?
How does it look like?
Mine has 2 horizontal metal pipes across, but not sure its approved by some whatever authority.
What about vertical metal braces? Someone said they are no longer code approved.

i have this, not sure if it h proof:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 01:58 PM

307 posts, read 212,366 times
I live in Louisiana so we deal with hurricanes often and I always assumed to protect the garage door from those strong gusts, you'd need vertical bracing also.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1622663855

Of course no amount of bracing will protect your garage from potential storm surges.
Attached Thumbnails
What is a hurricane proof garage door-hurricane-garage-doors.jpg  

Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,313,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What is a hurricane proof garage door?
How does it look like?
Mine has 2 horizontal metal pipes across, but not sure its approved by some whatever authority.
What about vertical metal braces? Someone said they are no longer code approved.

i have this, not sure if it h proof:
That is a standard overhead door and it is certainly not hurricane proof.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:10 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,313,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
I live in Louisiana so we deal with hurricanes often and I always assumed to protect the garage door from those strong gusts, you'd need vertical bracing also.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1622663855

Of course no amount of bracing will protect your garage from potential storm surges.
The picture of this door shows good horizontal bracing and would do much better in high winds.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 65,717,646 times
With just a glance- I'd say no. It's not a wind rated door.

Wind rated doors- and there are several different ratings depending on geographic location- have to be marked (usually a label affixed to a panel- sometimes the label maybe on the end edge of a panel).

Is it possible that you maybe in an area of FL (edit-it appears you're in Brevard) that doesn't require wind rated doors? And if so, If your house has been built in the last 20+ yrs it should be a rated door. I'm quite sure that retailers and specialty install companies can not sell non-rated doors if they are within a certain area that requires them.

Brevard Co is 140mph/rating. Oh, and there's the impact rating also- how you feeling now about that door???

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 06-02-2021 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-03-2021, 10:38 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,755,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
With just a glance- I'd say no. It's not a wind rated door.

Wind rated doors- and there are several different ratings depending on geographic location- have to be marked (usually a label affixed to a panel- sometimes the label maybe on the end edge of a panel).

Is it possible that you maybe in an area of FL (edit-it appears you're in Brevard) that doesn't require wind rated doors? And if so, If your house has been built in the last 20+ yrs it should be a rated door. I'm quite sure that retailers and specialty install companies can not sell non-rated doors if they are within a certain area that requires them.

Brevard Co is 140mph/rating. Oh, and there's the impact rating also- how you feeling now about that door???
It was built 29 years ago. The windmit report i got last year when i bought it labeled the GD as compliant.
The garage door companies i contacted told me they know nothing about vertical braces, or that they are no longer code compliant. They all want me to replace the door, they dont offer bracing. Even though on their websites they list GD bracing, on the phone they say its a whole door replacement. Im very skeptical about their honesty.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:23 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,077,656 times
Yours is not compliant. How do I know? There is no sticker on it saying that it is. ALL "compliant" doors have to be approved and have a sticker.

If you just want a cheap way to keep the door from blowing in (most likely by bending at the center and rip the tracks from the mounts or ripping apart the panel hinges) put two anchor plates in the floor, two attached to the header above, and when a hurricane approaches put the bracing in place and attach to the anchors and door panels - ESPECIALLY the top panels. Those two top sections in particular will vibrate like the sound box on a violin in a strong wind. It won't be complaint, it won't get a reduction in your insurance, but it will work.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 AM

19,964 posts, read 8,864,741 times
what is it?......a sales gimmick. I've seen the wind overturn a railroad car filled with coal.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:21 PM

5,778 posts, read 3,563,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
It was built 29 years ago. The windmit report i got last year when i bought it labeled the GD as compliant.
The garage door companies i contacted told me they know nothing about vertical braces, or that they are no longer code compliant. They all want me to replace the door, they dont offer bracing. Even though on their websites they list GD bracing, on the phone they say its a whole door replacement. Im very skeptical about their honesty.
The building codes for hurricane prone areas has been updated (strengthened) since then... at least once and perhaps twice. No offense intended, but your door looks dinky (weak) compared to a hurricane proof door.

My door (which is think is hurricane proof) has 4 big channel (box type) metal beams (about 2 1/2" x 4" size) running horizontally all the way across the door. There are also smaller box beams that run vertically spaced every 24" for the full width of the door. This is for a double garage door.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,374,082 times
Without a sticker or any sort of documentation, cannot tell. Mine are Miami-Dade complaint early 2000's, they have no bars or nothing, but most likely all internal strength structures. Been through a many hurricanes, not so much a scratch on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House