Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 8,056 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your suggestions ! I will look at the options and see what works/looks best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
First find out if you’re allowed to drill into the wall for mounting items. Doing so may weaken the wall. A shelving with planters, a lattice for vining plants, a false wall with a gap between the retaining wall and false wall for inspection and maintenance of retaining wall are some options.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
Since that's a community wall, I wouldn't attach anything to it. If you want to do the string lights, install a couple of posts and do so. I'd get some tall potted plants and place in front also.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:22 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
What about some decorative landscaping?

Some planting beds at the base of the wall with a two foot deep trellis where you could grow some flowering vines to grow on the inner section close to the wall and then some decorative lighting on the section further away from the wall. The trellis could also have different heights on the left and right hand side of the center.

You could also add a fountain to the center area or a waterfall with a small pond and lights The design possibles are endless and perhaps something you could do yourself, if desired.

Greenery would definitely add lots of interest as well as serving to camouflage the masonry wall.
I think all of those are great ideas, especially the fountain. There are so many different types of fountains to suit anyone's taste. Formal, rustic, whatever. You could do a lot of things with that space. If it were me, I'd turn it into a secret garden room and plant a dense hedge (like cherry laurel maybe) on both sides and have gates. Pic below. Then a nice fountain against the wall and a bunch of plantings, and a nice table and chair set or whatever.

I know someone else called the wall a "monstrosity", but I like it. I think it's kind of cool, actually. I'd rather look out my window and see that, rather than another house. I'd honestly love to work with that space. Since you said you have other expenses since you just moved in, that's understandable, but just know that later on down the line, there's lots of things you could do. Congrats on the new house!

Old 06-06-2021, 01:01 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borvishal View Post
Hello Friends,
I recently purchased a resale home that has a huge Retainer wall (its stretches all the way behind 15 houses in total). The distance between my back wall and the retainer wall is 18 ft.

What can I do to decorate the wall? I was thinking of putting some lights between the house wall and retainer wall to create a nice pattern but I am not sure if its worth having so much light bulb and wiring around.
If that sounds too much, how about having just 4-5 layers of decorative lights to cover smaller portion (may be just above the patio section)?

are there any other suggestions you all can make?
I dont want to spend too much money on this as I am new to the house and still doing a lot of other essential shopping.

I am adding a photo of the wall to get an idea.

Thank you!
Plant a narrow evergreen hedge in front of the wall- if you can provide a climate zone - we can advice which ones to plant.

More pleasant to look at the trees than concrete blocks- the trees will help to reduce noise, heat effect, create a pleasant atmosphere, low maintenance or none.

Again- depending on the climate we can suggest a native evergreen vine- you could pretend that you never planted it to avoid any restrictions, prohibitions
The only help a native vine need from you is to plant 1 tiny root stock or a piece of stem- in 1 season it would cover 30-50 feet and come back and spread every year - very inexpensive

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-22-2022 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House