Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 05:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I've found that some harder to clean containers (meaning cleaning strong odors like garlic or onions) clean up nicely with a few used coffee grounds. They cut through hard to get rid of grease, too (like chicken soup or tomato sauce, stored in Tupperware).

I know you're not supposed to put coffee grounds in the garbage disposal (they clump & block along the pipe line, apparently), but does the same apply if I only use Turkish ground beans (they're ground into a powder, like baby powder)?

I only used them a couple of times, maybe 1/2-tsp each time, but stopped as I don't want to do damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 05:52 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Could not find any info about the very fine grounds, but it's fair to assume that no matter how fine, they still will clump together. It's not soluble instant coffee that dissolves in water without residue.
So why take the risk?
Read this and consider other options:

https://tjkplumbinginc.com/what-not-...orm%20together.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
If you are using the coffee grounds to abrade thru the beef/chicken/pork GREASE in your pans, it is the GREASE you should not be trynna to stuff down the drain. Scrape that -ish into the trash with a spatula.

If you are tryin to dispose of a fair amount of coffee grounds, your plants will love the nitrogen + the bit of potassium and phosphorus in your clean used coffee grounds gently buried into the soil. Even houseplants need fertilizer.

We can fret about what goes down the kitchen sink, but I DARE YOU to put on some nitrile gloves and get a rusty coat hanger, remove your shower drain and start digging the human hair out of your tub/shower/sink drains. Thats one of those Spring Cleaning things that freaks me out every time I do it.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:57 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
We can fret about what goes down the kitchen sink, but I DARE YOU to put on some nitrile gloves and get a rusty coat hanger, remove your shower drain and start digging the human hair out of your tub/shower/sink drains. Thats one of those Spring Cleaning things that freaks me out every time I do it.

I agree with all the great re-uses for coffee grounds (see my link above), but you definitely should stop digging out hair from your shower drain and use this instead:
https://www.amazon.com/TubShroom-Rev.../dp/B01BYMTYBS

Old 06-02-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Could not find any info about the very fine grounds, but it's fair to assume that no matter how fine, they still will clump together. It's not soluble instant coffee that dissolves in water without residue. So why take the risk?
Read this and consider other options:
TY for the link. I won't do it, but wanted opinions, cuz I thought my trepidation might just be too much OCD on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
If you are using the coffee grounds to abrade thru the beef/chicken/pork GREASE in your pans, it is the GREASE you should not be trynna to stuff down the drain. Scrape that -ish into the trash with a spatula.
I'm good there. That's not a problem.

Quote:
If you are tryin to dispose of a fair amount of coffee grounds, your plants will love the nitrogen + the bit of potassium and phosphorus in your clean used coffee grounds gently buried into the soil. Even houseplants need fertilizer.
Good to know, but, I don't have a lot & I kill every plant I look at (I have silk flowers). I don't even touch other's plants... I have a black thumb.

Quote:
Nope. I'm a lifelong $$$ renter $$$. I'll leave that up to Maintenance.

TY both!

Old 06-04-2021, 10:12 PM

Default Found a workaround...

Instead of using the ground beans for cleaning, when I need to cut through a bit of grease leftover in a container (I dislike plastic, but it's useful), I just leave the already used espresso grounds in the basket of the espresso machine & run a small bit of water through it, then use that weak coffee to clean. It works well & gets rid of leftover odor, too.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:35 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I have always put coffee grounds in the disposal and now, with no disposal, down the sink drain. I have never had any issues with this and started doing it because I was told it would absorb or prevent odors.

Now, grease is another matter entirely. If I have alot of it, I find a sealable container to put it in and toss it. If a little has to go down the drain, I'll do it, but I pour boiled water in after it. Never had a problem with that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House