Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:43 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times

Advertisements

I found a licensed General B contractor through the CSLB and they did not do the fence installation correctly.

I am in contact with a new fence company to fix the fence, and I am out $5402.00 for now.

I do NOT want the one initial company to come back to fix these fence issues.

I can see the mistakes can you?

Fence before:
Attached Thumbnails
Improper Fence Installation-img_20210504_161256005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 12:52 PM

After

They gave me my neighbors property! That is not right!

Should I report this company to the CSLB?

How much is fair to be refunded to me and my neighbor?
Attached Thumbnails
Improper Fence Installation-img_20210603_192955173.jpg  

Old 06-05-2021, 02:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Without knowing where the property line is, it's hard to say there's a problem. The new installation is actually an improvement since the bottom of the fence is up off the dirt.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:07 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
The new fence looks much better. What are you unhappy about?

Old 06-05-2021, 04:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Did this “situation†come about because the neighbor said something?
What were the directions given to the fence company?
Have you spoken to the neighbor? What say he?

You have to give the fence company an opportunity to correct “the problem†(if in fact there actually is one). But based on the information you have forwarded- “what’s the problem?â€
Unless you’re just willing to fork out another $5k...

Old 06-05-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Did this “situation†come about because the neighbor said something?
What were the directions given to the fence company?
Have you spoken to the neighbor? What say he?

The Neighbor is an elderly, fragile widow living with her son, his Wife, a 2 year old, and a 6 month old and 3 dogs.
They never even bothered to look at the finished fence. That is just how they roll. She also trusts me.
I coordinated a landscape contractor for tree removal for her last year.

This is not my 1st Rodeo. I am also an attractive female who is blonde but not stupid.
I also happen work for the CSLB. They are my Boss.

You have to give the fence company an opportunity to correct “the problem†(if in fact there actually is one). But based on the information you have forwarded- “what’s the problem?â€
Unless you’re just willing to fork out another $5k...
I have 2 more fence repair estimates for this nightmare.

One Fence Repair guy came today and he showed me the property line on the sidewalk.
He told me that I can be sued by my neighbor now because the fence was installed on top of their property.
Their grass is now in my backyard!
He said the panels are no good because they have to be ripped out due to the way they were installed, with a staple gun instead of nails. They did not measure the boardds and they are not uniform. There is also an electrical safty hazard now it is an outlet that belongs inside the neighbors yard.

What a F@#$^* nightmare

I am NOT letting this Licensed Contractor back into my property to fix this mess.
I have lost my faith in his skills. Very Poor Workmanship. It is like he was trying to get away with it,
and I was not watching him work either, otherwise I would have intervened.

I am going to get my $ back and have the CSLB Mediation Department handle this for a full refund and will be filing 2 complaints with the CSLB.
1 for the fence and the other complaint for the bathroom remodel. It was supposed to start next week.
He asked for 50% which was $3250.00. It is illegal per CSLB Law. 10% is the CSLB Law.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 AM

People are so clueless lol

Old 06-06-2021, 04:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If there is a problem you are responsible. You had a deteriorating fence removed. You had a new nicely installed fence built as a replacement. If you did not have a survey company flag the property line and only told the fence company to replace the old fence then you allowed whatever problem it is you are claiming. If it is on the property line or slightly over ask the neighbor for written permission. Otherwise pay to have it removed. No big deal.

Where were you when the new fence was being designed and built?

Old 06-06-2021, 05:18 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
I have 2 more fence repair estimates for this nightmare.

One Fence Repair guy came today and he showed me the property line on the sidewalk.
He told me that I can be sued by my neighbor now because the fence was installed on top of their property.
Their grass is now in my backyard!
He said the panels are no good because they have to be ripped out due to the way they were installed, with a staple gun instead of nails. They did not measure the boardds and they are not uniform. There is also an electrical safty hazard now it is an outlet that belongs inside the neighbors yard.

What a F@#$^* nightmare

I am NOT letting this Licensed Contractor back into my property to fix this mess.
I have lost my faith in his skills. Very Poor Workmanship. It is like he was trying to get away with it,

I am going to get my $ back and have the CSLB Mediation Department handle this for a full refund and will be filing 2 complaints with the CSLB.
1 for the fence and the other complaint for the bathroom remodel. It was supposed to start next week.
He asked for 50% which was $3250.00. It is illegal per CSLB Law. 10% is the CSLB Law.
Did you pay him the 50% upfront? If so, why, since you know it it "illegal per the CSLB Law"? If you didn't pay him the 50% I don't see what you've got to complain about, really, especially as you're not going to use that contractor now anyway. As for the fence issues, you should have gotten a survey beforehand - that's on you. And if they were doing poor work during the install, instead of not watching him you should have taken a look at what he was doing, seen that he was doing poor quality work, and stopped him. I don't hover over my contractors, but even with the ones I've known and used for years I at least take a look once in a while at what they're doing as the job is progressing. With a new contractor I take a LOT of looks!

Old 06-06-2021, 06:29 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
What was wrong with the workmanship? From the picture you posted, it looks fine.

As others have said, if you are not happy, you really should give the original company a chance to address your concerns. After that, move on to your other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House