Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 07:04 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,820 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,
We bought our patio home last October 2020 and I am ready to look for another home because of the work involved in keeping our floors clean. We have a large patio home with a downstairs area of roughly 2000 sq ft. The floors are engineering hardwood with an expresso stain. It is the darkest brown you can imagine. You can see EVERY SINGLE piece of dust, dirt and scuff marks. We are constantly vacuuming and using our Bona mop to manage it. We have no kids, just the two of us My husband did not want to re stain before we moved in and I'm not even sure these floors have enough surface to do it. Now all of our stuff is moved in so don't want to re stain because of clean up. Or if you have refinished your hardwood floors was the clean up difficult? I'm thinking there may be new technology with sanding and refinishing that keeps wood particles at a minimum. My question is this: does anyone out there know if these floors can be replaced? and if not, can anyone recommend a simple way to keep them clean? Would a Roomba help? Never owned a Roomba so would be interested in knowing what model etc? I would appreciate ANY suggestion. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 09:32 AM

7,251 posts, read 7,091,171 times
Dark floors do show a lot of dust.

I can't imagine being able to sand dark engineered wood down far enough to eliminate a dark stain. Perhaps it's possible but I don't think I would ever try it.

To reduce dust, check your AC system and filter choice - hepa style filters should be used. Also keep clean dust catchers - upholstered furniture, curtains, pillows and any rugs. Don't wear shoes in the house that'll bring in outside dirt.

I did have a roomba at our last place, which had brazilian cherry floors. I found that it worked pretty well for getting little dust particles (we also had a dog and it was great for dog hair). But eventually I couldn't stand the noise and how it would bang into stuff.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:40 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
...does anyone out there know if these floors can be replaced?

Of course they can- it’s just a matter of money!

Old 06-07-2021, 12:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 11,565,662 times
Somebody help me out here - aren’t “engineered” floors and “hardwood” floors two different animals? And therefore no such thing as “engineered hardwood.”

Old 06-07-2021, 02:29 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Somebody help me out here - aren’t “engineered” floors and “hardwood” floors two different animals? And therefore no such thing as “engineered hardwood.”

Call it- “semantics”

Old 06-07-2021, 03:22 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
It's called engineered wood flooring. Engineered means it was fabricated or constructed - and it IS wood. The top layer is hardwood, but the thickness can vary widely based upon the quality.

Pretty easy to understand.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear friends,
We bought our patio home last October 2020 and I am ready to look for another home because of the work involved in keeping our floors clean. We have a large patio home with a downstairs area of roughly 2000 sq ft. The floors are engineering hardwood with an expresso stain. It is the darkest brown you can imagine. You can see EVERY SINGLE piece of dust, dirt and scuff marks. We are constantly vacuuming and using our Bona mop to manage it. We have no kids, just the two of us My husband did not want to re stain before we moved in and I'm not even sure these floors have enough surface to do it. Now all of our stuff is moved in so don't want to re stain because of clean up. Or if you have refinished your hardwood floors was the clean up difficult? I'm thinking there may be new technology with sanding and refinishing that keeps wood particles at a minimum. My question is this: does anyone out there know if these floors can be replaced? and if not, can anyone recommend a simple way to keep them clean? Would a Roomba help? Never owned a Roomba so would be interested in knowing what model etc? I would appreciate ANY suggestion. thanks in advance!
If the floors are a good quality, they CAN be refinished, but I'd never choose to do that personally as I am just really averse to the mess. Many people DO this though, and they usually move out for a few days. Wish you had asked about this before moving it - dark floors show EVERYTHING and before you moved in would have been the time to refinish. I would pull up a floor vent or a baseboard and find out what you have before deciding on the next step.

( I do have engineered wood flooring and it is a thick enough top layer that it could be refinished, but I'd replace it if they got that bad - it's just me here so I don't expect that to ever happen.)

Old 06-07-2021, 03:37 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,209,663 times
Quote:
Engineered flooring with usually a thin “hardwood” veneer so technically the thin slice on top is hardwood, so yes, it’s really misleading and deceptive IMO.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:42 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,491 times
Rug runners / luxury vinyl tile on top come to mind.. I wouldnt spend the effort and $$$ to re-sand them

Old 06-07-2021, 06:01 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Rug runners / luxury vinyl tile on top come to mind.. I wouldnt spend the effort and $$$ to re-sand them
luxury vinyl tile? Is it nice looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House