Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 07:14 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
Try to find solar panels where each panel has its own micro inverter instead of one inverter for all the panels. The advantage is that should a panel stop working due to damage, shade or in winter being covered in snow and ice, the remaining working panels will keep generating power with micro inverters. When all the panels are linked to one inverter, if one or more panels can't generate power, it may stop the other ones from generating as well until the whole array is clear.

Also keep in mind that the panels lose a small amount of efficiency in very hot weather which for my panels starts in the mid 80's.

And I have not seen any degradation of production in the five years of ownership.
We have inverter+optimizers instead of micro inverters because of our battery storage. The two are similar but with differences. We have an app that monitors each of our panels which found one that needed to be replaced shortly after the installation.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-14-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 09:44 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
For a house your size and $130/month electrical bill (you have not indicated if this is a yearly avg), it probably does not make financial sense to add solar (we have not seen your estimate for solar, either). We have a similar size house and a slightly smaller electrical bill and solar does not make financial sense for us when we have priced it.

If solar does make sense, you will do better to buy a gasoline/natural gas powered portable back-up generator for $500-$700 vs flushing the money on battery backup.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:54 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Solar + battery is a great alternative to a standby generator. In my area, a standby generator can be up to $20k installed. Solar + battery, depending on system size, can be around that price after federal and state incentives, plus you get the perk of generating savings year-round.

I paid about $30k all-in for a really big solar array but no battery (a 6 year breakeven in my state due to insane cost of electric). Thinking about adding batteries because I hate my loud generator, but it's not a wise investment because I already have the standby generator.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:15 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just contacted a local solar panel company for a consultation and estimate. We live in south Louisiana. We’re doing what we can to lower our energy bill. Have already changed all lights to LEDs, had new insulation blown into the attic, and recently had storm windows and solar screens installed over our single pane aluminum frame windows.

What we’re hoping for with the solar panel system is two fold. First is the obvious lower utility bill. Second may or may not be possible, the ability to use the solar and battery system as an emergency power back up to at least power the refrigerator for a few hours a day. I know the technology has evolved so I’m hopeful it is possible to use as an emergency power backup. Our home is 1300 square feet, 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, just two people living in home, and gas powered stove, water heater, and central heat. The long part of our roof faces the north and south and both sides are always in the sun during daylight hours.
You can’t use solar panels for backup when power goes out. It still goes through the power lines somehow, and the power company can’t allow power to run through while their crews are out working on the lines.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
A friend just had 68 panels installed on his roof. Here's his roof prior to installation:

Old 06-14-2021, 05:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Lightbulb “grid-connected” solar can provide power during grid outages automatically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
…the ability to use the solar and battery system as an emergency power back up to at least power the refrigerator for a few hours a day. I know the technology has evolved so I’m hopeful it is possible to use as an emergency power backup.
You can’t use solar panels for backup when power goes out. It still goes through the power lines somehow, and the power company can’t allow power to run through while their crews are out working on the lines.
You can't use "grid tied" solar for backup when power goes out.

When you spend a few more bucks in buying batteries and “grid-connected” controller with an integral grid disconnect, you can use PV for backup power. Many even know to kick on a standby generator to recharge the batteries or satisfy a large demand appliance (like air conditioning).

Old 06-14-2021, 07:54 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just not worth going solar for me. My bill in only 65 to $110 a month. It would cost to much i would never live long enough to pay it off.
Bingo. People are romanticized about "paying lower power bills." What they may not realize is that they STILL DO PAY for solar + the typical power generation/distribution facility. Sure, the power Co bill is less. But, the solar system cost makes up for that savings, in a big way.

Also, if anyone thinks they'll have "emergency power" when the power co goes dark, you've got another thing coming. Solar systems are designed to NOT "back-feed" the system, by design. That kills repair crews. (Now, some people might construct a system that does feed their use, only after they've been disconnected to the network.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 PM

Post Islanding keeps your house powered when the grid is down, without backfeeding the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Also, if anyone thinks they'll have "emergency power" when the power co goes dark, you've got another thing coming. Solar systems are designed to NOT "back-feed" the system, by design. That kills repair crews. (Now, some people might construct a system that does feed their use, only after they've been disconnected to the network.
Read the post 2.5 hours before yours.

The ability to power a subset of in-home circuits when the utility power is out is no longer unusual; pretty much every system with battery storage can "island" if you pay the premium for an inverter/controller with a smart automatic disconnect switch. They're UL listed and won't "kill repair crews"

If you're paying the extra bucks for a battery bank, why wouldn't you also go for "Sunny Island" functionality?

Old 06-15-2021, 05:13 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Bingo. People are romanticized about "paying lower power bills." What they may not realize is that they STILL DO PAY for solar + the typical power generation/distribution facility. Sure, the power Co bill is less. But, the solar system cost makes up for that savings, in a big way.

It's just snake oil jake. If someone dwells in marble halls and has a power bill of 400+ then maybe solar is for them. But sub $250 bills i would say solar is a waste.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:06 AM

Post The payback period for solar electric (PV) varies from 5-20 years depending on where you live

Some people just want to feel more "green" and are willing to waste some green to get that sense that they are doing something positive for the environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If someone dwells in marble halls and has a power bill of 400+ then maybe solar is for them. But sub $250 bills i would say solar is a waste.
How much of a "waste" is situational, depends on many factors -- total monthly bill isn't as critical as the actual cost per kWh (and anticipated cost increase over the life of the panels). With an average $240/month electric bill and a big array, you might save $2.8K/year due to net metering, or with “aggregate” net metering, could get paid for feeding the grid.

Also need to take into consideration state programs and state tax credits, insolation (useful sun per annum), and how prevalent power outages are. For example, my neighbor put in solar panels in part because he wanted a big battery and inverter system for our frequent winter power outages; by adding some solar panels on the roof he got other taxpayers to pay for nearly half the costs of his battery backup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House