Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 04:56 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times

Advertisements

Haven't we all seen the frequent posts here on C/D from self-appointed HOA brown shirts spinning drama and revenge fantasies if their delusions that they're always right?

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 06:02 PM

307 posts, read 164,105 times
i am sure there are terrible HOAs out there but my experience has been very positive. But, I also read all the HOA docs before buying a home and agreed to the rules and fees. I had a house in a non-HOA neighborhood and it was fine until one homeowner moved to a new home but were unable to sell their current home (it was 2009-2010). Well, they rented it out, no big deal. The wonderful couple renting left and they somehow managed to then rent (through a rental agent) to deadbeat drug addicts who had people in and out all the time, dogs being neglected, and one of their "guests" hit my neighbor's car and drove off. The homeowner didn't bother to keep tabs on the house so multiple neighbors had call him to complain about these tenants because we were all about to go to the city to fail complaints. He did get them evicted though I suspect it was more because they stopped paying rent after about 6 months. In my current neighborhood, you cannot rent out your home and it was big draw for me.

Now, that probably is not the norm. I grew up in a non-HOA neighborhood and it was fine. My guess is that we are getting only one side of the story. He may be 100% right or he may be leaving out information like the fort was in a public/common area or blocking part of a walking trail.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
I'm not a control freak, I'm very live and let live, that is, until somebody else's behavior affects me. My reasons for wanting to purchase an HOA condo are: pool and maintenance, age in place, people near my age in a retirement community, avoid the riff raff behaviors of bad neighbors, and not have to deal with AirBNBs, which I have one near me on my lake now. Rentals are a problem sometimes. OtterTrees pointed this out and I agree.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:48 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
We spent a couple of nights at my brother's condo, then returned six months later and spent one night. In the morning, a notice was plastered on our windshield that we were in violation for parking more than two nights there.

My brother's understanding was that a guest could not spend more than two sequential nights, but some officious yahoo decided it was a lifetime maximum AND kept track of every vehicle.

Too many crazies out there.

I can think of two purple houses, one in a very relaxed HOA.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:55 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
HOA members are responsible for the actions of the HOA...

That should send chills... seen it happen and the reality of emergency assessments for legal fees and settlements can dramatically affect value...

Old 06-21-2021, 03:40 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We spent a couple of nights at my brother's condo, then returned six months later and spent one night. In the morning, a notice was plastered on our windshield that we were in violation for parking more than two nights there.

My brother's understanding was that a guest could not spend more than two sequential nights, but some officious yahoo decided it was a lifetime maximum AND kept track of every vehicle.

Too many crazies out there.

I can think of two purple houses, one in a very relaxed HOA.
Who the heck only has TWO people visit them in the time they live somewhere? Unless they only live there 6 months or maybe a couple of years or so. Two overnight guests, ever?

Who would ever interpret that restriction in that way? Well, like you said....a yahoo.

That makes no sense. It's so outlandish it's, for me at least, unimaginable. And I have almost no one come here. I usually go to their house. But even I have overnight visitors every few years.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:14 AM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
HOA members are responsible for the actions of the HOA...

That should send chills... seen it happen and the reality of emergency assessments for legal fees and settlements can dramatically affect value...
As my house was in the process of selling, we got letters from one of the HOAs (yup, I fell under two of them at once) with an emergency assessment of $300 to build a fund to go after those who weren't paying. So the people who did pay were being punished to take the others to court. I had to pay it of course to close. I was PISSED about that. Only consolation was knowing I would never ever deal with an HOA again.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-21-2021, 07:06 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I usually like to look at things like this from both sides of the coin.

Is it a silly think to report someone over? Yup.

Is it against the rules? It appears so which means it must come down. You start letting some things go and people start testing the waters more and more.

I once lived under a HOA and saw rules bent all the time for "friends" of board members. It irked me because it was such a blatent unequal disregard for the rules and policies and they used to brush it off. I no longer live under an HOA but fortunate enough to live in a nice neighborhood where I don't need one.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-21-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 07:17 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I usually like to look at things like this from both sides of the coin.

Is it a silly think to report someone over? Yup?

Is it against the rules? It appears so which means it must come down. You start letting some things go and people start testing the waters more and more.

I once lived under a HOA and saw rules bent all the time for "friends" of board members. It irked me because it was such a blatent unequal disregard for the rules and policies and they used to brush it off. I no longer live under an HOA but fortunate enough to live in a nice neighborhood where I don't need one.
Exactly correct, if you decide to live in a place governed by a HOA, you have then decided to abide by their rules, regardless of what they might be, so therefore you are in total acceptance and have no right to complain if you’re unable to get away with an infraction ❗️

Old 06-21-2021, 07:48 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
I'm not a big fan of HOAs. We had a canoe under our deck of our first home, townhouse with an HOA. The back faced woods, nobody saw it as there was a fence between us and the neighbors but it was open to the back. I didn't like it but I fenced in the yard.

Same thing here. These are the rules that everyone has to obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House