Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:43 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

The owner of the tree house is wrong. He chose to live in an HOA and abide by its rules. He could have reviewed the rules he was agreeing to. Other people bought into the HOA partly because of those rules. The property values are affected by the residents' obeying those rules. To get angry at someone for reporting what the HOA regarded as a violation of the HOA rules is immature and like getting angry at another motorist for reporting the OP speeding down the highway. The OP's beef, IMO, is more with the HOA and not the neighbor who reported him. It is the HOA who determined the OP was in violation of the rules and had to remove the tree house.

Lesson: Don't move into an HOA and then get angry when the HOA holds you to the rules you agreed to. If the OP thought he should be excused from the rules because of the pandemic, he could have sought permission from the HOA before he built the treehouse.

As for me, I looked at houses to buy in various HOAa and chose not to do that, when I learned that in order to move part of a fence a couple of feet because a tree was growing into it, I'd have to submit a drawing beforehand and get permission to do that, which could have been denied. I didn't want to live with restrictions like that.

I do know that HOAs that I saw were especially concerned with any structures that were taller than the surrounding 6 foot fences, since it affects the appearance of the neighborhood. One HOA I looked at restricted storage sheds in back yards to 6 feet or less, including any peaked roof, so the sheds wouldn't be visible above the fencing. Too restrictive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I used to live in an HOA community where back yard storage buildings were monitored to the nth degree, but anyone could build a tree house or whatever.

As I was moving in, the neighbor boys all climbed up in their treehouse and they could see right into my yard, of course. They watched my every move and talked to me repeatedly. I mean, I was nice to them but dang. I wanted some peace and quiet in my own back yard but every time they were outside (which was often - there were three of them and they were the types of boys who played outside) they'd climb up in that treehouse and watch me, talk to me, etc. I honestly could hardly enjoy my own back yard. And it was half an acre!

Old 06-21-2021, 09:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
People buy into these HOA's all the time, and I ask myself why?

To me, the HOA should be for the maintenance of streets sidewalks lighting,etc.
I do not think the HOA should dictate how many trees you can / cannot plant, and idiotic things like that.
I can not understand how anyone would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home, that is their own, no more landlords to worry about, but the you have a HOA that dictates things to you.

Sadly, in various regions, you might not have a choice, because so many homes fall under HOA's.

My uncle on Florida rules say there has to be 3 trees on the right side, 2 on the left.
To me, that is idiotic. What if the homeowner didn't want a tree at all, or wanted 4 trees.

We all wanna live in a nice neigborhood, I get that, but some of the rules are beyond comprehension.

and we hear the same complaint, well, I don't wanna live next to a house painted purple.
but, really? how many houses have we really seen painted purple?

Some things are so dumb.

Now, regarding this tree house issue. If the tree is in the homeowners backyard, that's one thing, but if it was in the front of the house or on a common ground, eh, not so great.

For thios story, we would have to know more info.

Id never live anywhere with a HOA, luckily here in NYC we don't have them.

There's an adorable purple house on Dauphine St., in the French Quarter.

I like color and personality.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:30 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
There's an adorable purple house on Dauphine St., in the French Quarter.

I like color and personality.

actually, I'm sure a purple house in the right setting can be nice, as also a front door, flower boxes...etc....a splash of color should never hurt anyone.

hey, better than all beige, beige, beige, houses all looking the same, ***yawn***

I too, like the idea of color and personality.

there is a big difference between living next to a tidy and pristene purple house than a dirty messy beige house.....
Here is color, and a lot of it, interesting, and pretty.

I think I see some purple in there. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Dad rips into neighbor who reported family’s tree fort to HOA: 'You’re safe now'-painted-ladies.jpg  

Old 06-21-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
actually, I'm sure a purple house in the right setting can be nice, as also a front door, flower boxes...etc....a splash of color should never hurt anyone.

hey, better than all beige, beige, beige, houses all looking the same, ***yawn***

there is a big difference between living next to a tidy and pristene purple house than a dirty messy beige house.....

We are in complete agreement. :-)

In my neighborhood (Non HOA) there is a neighbor, who every holiday, puts up ALL kinds of knick knacky (dare I say kinda tacky) decorations. Honestly, I love it. My husband and I always laugh and say "It's the yard that Drunk Holiday throws up in." But you know what? It makes me smile. And I'm guessing it makes their kids smile to see it. I'll take personality every time...even if it's not MY personality. lol

Old 06-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I think I see some purple in there. LOL

Regarding the photo, I think those houses are called "Painted Ladies". And surely San Francisco wouldn't be the same without them.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:07 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I used to live in an HOA community where back yard storage buildings were monitored to the nth degree, but anyone could build a tree house or whatever.

As I was moving in, the neighbor boys all climbed up in their treehouse and they could see right into my yard, of course. They watched my every move and talked to me repeatedly. I mean, I was nice to them but dang. I wanted some peace and quiet in my own back yard but every time they were outside (which was often - there were three of them and they were the types of boys who played outside) they'd climb up in that treehouse and watch me, talk to me, etc. I honestly could hardly enjoy my own back yard. And it was half an acre!
We had neighbors with curious kids who were constantly outdoors, but they didn't have a tree house, they would just climb up, and look over the fence.

I enjoyed some of it. But got old after awhile.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:46 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
buy a place with a long driveway, hook up some electric along the driveway and I bet you could wedge 4 or 5 RV's into your non HOA property.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We had neighbors with curious kids who were constantly outdoors, but they didn't have a tree house, they would just climb up, and look over the fence.

I enjoyed some of it. But got old after awhile.
Yes, same here. I began to feel like I couldn't even go out on my patio without having three sets of eyes on me and three mouths going, full of questions!

In their defense, when they crawled up on the fence and I told them not to do it, they did stop. But it's not like I could tell them not to get in their own tree house. UGH.

Sweet little boys but I did want privacy in my own back yard.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:23 PM

I seek out HOAs when I'm buying a property, and I read the bylaws. I want one that maintains common areas and keeps a lid on outbuildings, types of vehicles parked on properties or roads, fencing, that sort of thing.

That's about it and I've always been able to find housing in HOA communities with reasonable fees and involvement.

Every once in awhile some board member will get weird but that's very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House