Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

I have never lived where there was an HOA; however, the city has CC&R's (codes, covenants and restrictions) which they enforce, like weed abatement, etc. Up until very recently it was not allowed to convert garages to extra living space, meaning more cars on the already packed streets when garages no longer housed cars, but things like that are changing, unfortunately. New zoning laws are really "lack of zoning" laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 09:24 PM

84 posts, read 61,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
People buy into these HOA's all the time, and I ask myself why?

There are so many people who think it's bad to buy into an HOA, and I ask myself why?

While some HOAs are borderline ridiculous, most are not, and some of us (like me, for ex) can not afford a house, so we buy a condo, in order to get out of paying rent.

And for those who think it's a better to pay rent as opposed to owning in an HOA, I ask myself why?

Old 06-21-2021, 09:45 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Y'all need to get out more. It's wonderful that you have areas without HOAs, but that's simply not true in many cities where the jobs are. I've lived in a couple of them. The number of people buying homes far exceeded the few homes in non HOA areas. We're talking HOAs that run back into the 60s. The sarcasm toward buyers don't strengthen your cause.

Oh a lot of people read the rules before they sign. That doesn't stop an overzealous few members from making life miserable for everyone else. I got elected to the board on one we lived in to be a voice of reason. We had one couple who the ink wasn't dry on their purchase and they were in the board that same day offering to drive around the neighborhood everyday to look for violations. Amazing the number of busybodies who wanted to run everyone's lives.

Not everyone needs someone else to make their decisions for them. Some of our are capable of picking our own paint colors.
Don't buy in an HOA simple as that if you don't want color of paint decided for you. They want entire neighborhood to look the same. If you can't afford to buy somewhere outside of an HOA then you have to agree to it and put up with the rules.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrixStyle View Post
There are so many people who think it's bad to buy into an HOA, and I ask myself why?

While some HOAs are borderline ridiculous, most are not, and some of us (like me, for ex) can not afford a house, so we buy a condo, in order to get out of paying rent.

And for those who think it's a better to pay rent as opposed to owning in an HOA, I ask myself why?
Rent Controlled in premium location can make you a renter for life...

One of the docs I work with still pays almost nothing for his SF apartment... he does own rental property but says he will never give up his SF apartment...

Old 06-21-2021, 11:57 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Rent Controlled in premium location can make you a renter for life...

One of the docs I work with still pays almost nothing for his SF apartment... he does own rental property but says he will never give up his SF apartment...
My childhood best friend has rented a 3 bedroom home in Los Angles for 30 years pays $1300 a month rent controlled. He first lived there with 2 other guys who shared the rent but later they moved out he stayed.

The house is worth almost 2 million as a teardown built in 1950s. Looks like a narrow 2 story home east coast like. The owners have offered him $50k to move out he turned it down now has decided to stay until he passes away which could be 20-30 years more. He done so well with mutual funds he said $1300 is less then what cost him to own a home. He doesn't have to pay for any repairs.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have never lived where there was an HOA; however, the city has CC&R's (codes, covenants and restrictions) which they enforce, like weed abatement, etc. Up until very recently it was not allowed to convert garages to extra living space, meaning more cars on the already packed streets when garages no longer housed cars, but things like that are changing, unfortunately. New zoning laws are really "lack of zoning" laws.
Did these homes not have driveways that the owner could still park and/on? Or where the houses and garage is right at the sidewalk so if you got rid of the garage and pulled in front of your former garage you would be across the sidewalk?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I've never lived in an area with an HOA. There is hardly ever an issue with a house. There is one house in my entire area that I have seen that looks like it's a hoarder house. It does not affect the property values. It really depends on your area.

My uncle has property upstate and there are plenty of dumpster fire properties, abandoned properties, etc. But this is more rural.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
In my area of Texas, there are few subdivisions that have no HOA. I'd wager there are hardly any at all, regardless of age. My subdivision is like 34 years old (probably older) and has an an HOA. If you don't want to live in an HOA neighborhood here, you're relegated to acreage properties and those are very expensive now. Having no HOA is actually a big selling point and in demand...and the non-HOA homes are, as I said, very expensive. Go figure.

So if people want a No-HOA neighborhood, they'd be pretty limited.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
The model here seems to be the developer sets up the HOA, then eventually is supposed to turn it over to residents after a certain percentage of homes are sold. Friends who bought in were told there would be a park and pool and rec center, which needed dues for support, but those have never been built.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
^^^ Sadly this happens a lot... promised amenities never materialize.

Also... HOA CCR can be ironclad and then State or Federal Law changes or the HOA loses a lawsuit...

It's well and good to say read and understand the CCR but things change...

As mentioned... my HOA was created in 1948 and the creator never imagine it would morph into landscape and color schemes... it was to maintain common areas namely roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House