Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 11:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
At some point there is going to have to be some regulation of how this is done. It is creepy and dangerous to have people stalking delivery trucks and brazenly going up to doors to steal. Although the way things are going who knows. Apparently stealing things from outside of houses has been no big deal for some time in some areas, even nicer ones.

we still have some honor system roadside stands where you buy the product and leave the money in a jar.

Then I hear in some places, even decent suburbs you can't even have nice flowers because someone will come in broad daylight and dig them up. Because they can get away with it.

If these are the things we are willing to tolerate I guess we are ok with stealing packages, but we should ask what is next?
Welcome to America, where some places stealing gets no punishment. Even if the police catches the thieves the most they can do is hand them a summon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 11:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
However, they are also lazy, or they would have a job instead of stealing. Fill it with something of no monetary value, that might conceivably have been shipped to you.

Old shoes, with a note - "Hi sweetheart, here are grandmas shoes that she left to you, I will be sending her dresses, nightgowns, and underwear, in the next few boxes. Love, Mom"

Or a sign that says "Smile, you are on camera."
I'm going to fill it with cat pooh.

I'll take my chances with these scumbags.

And I know I will keep doing it, and they will keep thieving, so it will never end.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:06 PM

20,656 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I don't routinely use my front door. Sometimes packages stay there for days.
-------------------------------------------------
and you complain packages being stolen?????????
Due to Cov19,all these carriers do not have to get you to sign for the package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Not sure I follow you.

Are you saying they just drop packages at your home even though you are supposed to sign for them (and you didn't sign)?

I have had them leave me the notes on a number of occasions in the past when I had signature confirmation. I actually had to drive to the PO to pick of said packages if they miss me.

Exactly, they didn't even bother to ask, leave a slip, etc. That goes for sending & receiving packages.
Signature confirmation is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you have a PO Box, you can't use many of the online services that only ship via Fedex or UPS, even if USPS is taking care of the final delivery.
False, you just need to fill out the form at the USPS were your PO Box is. Then you can have all your mail + packages sent there. If you place you order from requires a "physical address" you would use an address like this:

Your Name
Address of Post Office where your PO BOX is
Unit# Your PO BOX #
City, State, Zipcode

IE:

WRM20
123 Lane
Unit#0123
Anywhere, KO, 12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You can, I do this all the time buying on Ebay. You change your address to

Name
Street address of Post Office
Your PO Box
City, State, Zip of Post Office.

Yes, I've been having my packages go to the PO for over 10 years. No issues.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:10 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Exactly, they didn't even bother to ask, leave a slip, etc. That goes for sending & receiving packages.

s.
Interesting. I think whenever there has been a package sent for me that I had to sign for, I always wound up having to drive to the PO to pick it up if I wasn't there.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:31 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I guess if we want such convenience we are willing to tolerate inviting criminals on to our property.

When stores started closing and online ordering became popular is when the delivery services started declining. They used to at least ring the door bell when dropping off a package, then that even stopped. I've had packages thrown or left in strange places like on my garbage bin instead of the door step.

I had no problem with shopping in stores and never got into online shopping that much but with fewer stores and inventory in stock we don't have much choice and that is unfortunate.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:36 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
At some point there is going to have to be some regulation of how this is done. It is creepy and dangerous to have people stalking delivery trucks and brazenly going up to doors to steal. Although the way things are going who knows. Apparently stealing things from outside of houses has been no big deal for some time in some areas, even nicer ones.

we still have some honor system roadside stands where you buy the product and leave the money in a jar.

Then I hear in some places, even decent suburbs you can't even have nice flowers because someone will come in broad daylight and dig them up. Because they can get away with it.

If these are the things we are willing to tolerate I guess we are ok with stealing packages, but we should ask what is next?
I have a hard time believing that flowers are being dug up, myself. Doesn't pass the smell test for a lot of reasons. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I'd lean more towards the batty old woman/geezer down the street than anything else. It takes a long time (relatively speaking), it doesn't realize a profit for the thief, and it's of marginal utility to someone that's at a point where they're stealing things.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:59 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

False, you just need to fill out the form at the USPS were your PO Box is. Then you can have all your mail + packages sent there. If you place you order from requires a "physical address" you would use an address like this:

Your Name
Address of Post Office where your PO BOX is
Unit# Your PO BOX #
City, State, Zipcode

IE:

WRM20
123 Lane
Unit#0123
Anywhere, KO, 12345

Yes, I've been having my packages go to the PO for over 10 years. No issues.
No, many entities will not ship to a PO box. From UPS website: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/sri/ship-box.page

"UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. "

There are ways to get this done with UPS and Fedex, but many sellers have no desire to do so, and will not ship to a PO box if the seller is using UPS or Fedex. It is a common issue.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have a hard time believing that flowers are being dug up, myself. Doesn't pass the smell test for a lot of reasons. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I'd lean more towards the batty old woman/geezer down the street than anything else. It takes a long time (relatively speaking), it doesn't realize a profit for the thief, and it's of marginal utility to someone that's at a point where they're stealing things.
Or kids doing petty vandalism. I saw that happen.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Question: would you guys fear retribution from crazy people if you put boxes out for thieves filled with waste?
No, I wouldn't. But I don't fear porch thieves, crazy or not.

Anyway, I shop locally.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:47 PM

20,656 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, many entities will not ship to a PO box. From UPS website: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/sri/ship-box.page

"UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. "

There are ways to get this done with UPS and Fedex, but many sellers have no desire to do so, and will not ship to a PO box if the seller is using UPS or Fedex. It is a common issue.

Quote:
We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes.

They deliver to the Post Office the P.O. Box is located in. Then the USPS workers bring it to the PO Box.

UPS, FedEX, DHL all deliver to Post Offices which have valid street addresses. Then the USPS workers make finally deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House