Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 11:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Offensive? LOL. I love gray. Have always loved it. Was so glad to finally see accessories and other things now offered in something other than drab beiges and horrid browns.
While you're over there in the corner laughing out loud I will maintain the opinion that gray is not "non-offensive" (nor is it at all "classic") as claimed by the poster to whom I responded. I'm perfectly fine with you not sharing my opinion but will continue to refrain from laughing at yours - it's what the adults do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 11:45 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Can you turn it into a larger walk-in shower? You will be there long enough to enjoy it and (so far) there is a demand for those more spacious showers.
I have a “tub size” shower in my master bath. It’s just all flat where a tub would be and a 3 or so inch lip on the outer edge to prevent splashes. I love it.

I’m in a 55+ community and that’s why this was installed instead of a tub. I have a tub/shower in my guest bath, but guests have only used it for showering.

My master bath has space under the counter so a wheelchair can roll right up to it, and I don’t mind the missing 2 cupboards. I could always hang a curtain on a tension rod, but i don’t because I don’t store anything there.

My place is small, but my halls are wide, therefore wheelchair friendly - and I love the feel that it seems bigger than it is.

I’d definitely concur with oregonwoodsmoke about considering the tub sized flat shower too, while you are deciding what you want.

Whatever you do, I hope you love the results!

Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
While you're over there in the corner laughing out loud I will maintain the opinion that gray is not "non-offensive" (nor is it at all "classic") as claimed by the poster to whom I responded. I'm perfectly fine with you not sharing my opinion but will continue to refrain from laughing at yours - it's what the adults do.
My apologies if you took offense at my LOL. I am an adult, and I laugh a lot, sometimes at people. They are funny.

Truly though...I do find it amusing that every time a new "thing" (such as a new color or trend or whatever) becomes really popular, all the "I am so over this this is going to be SO dated in X number of years...and so on and so on) comments start coming out of the woodwork. I guess I could say the same thing about the "barn door" phenomenon.

I DO find gray to be a "classic" color. It is elegant and calm and peaceful, and goes with every darn color there is (other than beiges and browns which I abhor) so for me, it will be a permanent element in my home decor.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:26 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My apologies if you took offense at my LOL. I am an adult, and I laugh a lot, sometimes at people. They are funny.

Truly though...I do find it amusing that every time a new "thing" (such as a new color or trend or whatever) becomes really popular, all the "I am so over this this is going to be SO dated in X number of years...and so on and so on) comments start coming out of the woodwork. I guess I could say the same thing about the "barn door" phenomenon.

I DO find gray to be a "classic" color. It is elegant and calm and peaceful, and goes with every darn color there is (other than beiges and browns which I abhor) so for me, it will be a permanent element in my home decor.
I love gray too, and consider it a classic and timeless color, although yes, it's also experiencing being a trend. Which is nice in someway because there are so many more items readily available. But also annoying because people assume you are trying to follow a trend when a color you like happens to be popular at the moment.

I like gray for clothing too, it's nice to have something that goes with everything but is a little change from black.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:50 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I love gray too, and consider it a classic and timeless color, although yes, it's also experiencing being a trend. Which is nice in someway because there are so many more items readily available. But also annoying because people assume you are trying to follow a trend when a color you like happens to be popular at the moment.

I like gray for clothing too, it's nice to have something that goes with everything but is a little change from black.
Exactly!

Old 07-23-2021, 10:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Bathtub/Shower

We purchased a townhome in 4/2020. This is not our forever home, but we will likely be here for another 7-10 years. I hate the standard-issue apartment tub/shower in the master bath, but the cost of having it redone is holding me back. Is this an investment that makes sense for resale, or should I put that $$ toward the mortgage instead and just suck it up?

While not guaranteed, it is likely that someone would buy the TH as a rental investment, if that makes any difference.
I would do a bathtub/shower combo that is not vinyl. Don't do the walk-in shower. You need at least one tub--for washing dogs and children etc. And nothing worse than a leaking shower pan. Walk-in showers and separate soaking tubs are for high-end homes, not starter homes for young families. I have seen many flips that have redone bathrooms w/ separate tubs and walk-in showers crammed into bathrooms that are too small for them. They're a mess.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:08 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
Quick note to say --- if you're going to build a walk-in shower, make sure you use the right kind of tile for the floor. The hotel I'm in currently chose something, maybe even wall tile, that looks great but feels horrible. It's a smooth, non-textured tile, so it should be "seamless" to the touch; instead, it feels like you're standing on tile with no grout in the grout lines.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:48 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Regarding the glass doors-that's what's in my bathroom. I bought the house (111 years old) a year ago and the bathroom was "updated" about 5 years ago, with a very large fiberglass molded step-in shower and sliding glass doors. After a week of squeegeeing every morning I simply bought shower curtains and put a tension rod above the doors.. A pretty cloth one for the outside, and a clear plastic one for the inside. Extra long. Problem solved.

While I don't love it, it is unlikely I will ever spend any money to change it. Too many other things to spend my money on. Resale value not an issue for me, I intend to die here, my executor can worry about selling it.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:25 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
Interestingly enough, the walk-in shower in the hotel room I'm in now is the narrowest I've encountered (see pic). The interior floor measures 26" wide; the interior of my tub is 23" side to side. It's amazing what a few inches will do for elbow room!

Besides the crappy floor tile in this shower, the placement of the faucet is opposite the glass door, so you have to turn the knob and get splashed with cold water while you wait for it to heat. Another thing to make sure doesn't occur in a reno.

Even though I don't want a tub in this house, if it means a strike against when we put it up for sale, then I'll live with it. My retirement house in FL, which I'll inherit once my dad passes, is going to be torn apart and reno'd within an inch of its life, so I'll enjoy my shower-only bathrooms there.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:52 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
If you hate it then redo it. I don't hate it so I'd be saving my money unless things started falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House