Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 AM

328 posts, read 262,183 times

Advertisements

Damaged my garage and the estimate was originally $4,000. Called my insurance company and they got the Restoration company to reduce their cost to $3,000.

I have to pay my insurance deductible which is $2,500. Is it better to just go ahead with paying the insurance deductible on a $3,000 damage or cancel the insurance claim and pay $3,000 out-of-pocket?

I'm asking because even if I cancel the claim, isn't it still on record and it's just as bad anyways? Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 10:39 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
You were told by multiple people to not even file a claim for the initial $4K estimate, certainly don't for them to only pay $500 and raise your rate for yrs.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:14 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Or cancel you altogether.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Or cancel you altogether.
We'll just have to wait and see. I just canceled the claim.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You were told by multiple people to not even file a claim for the initial $4K estimate, certainly don't for them to only pay $500 and raise your rate for yrs.
I've already said I was sorry. I've learned my lesson.

Sheesh

Old 07-20-2021, 12:33 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The larger question is "What perverted economic system and regulatory authority allows such abuse of customers?"

When a fear relationship with a company is based upon their previous history of stating "We will happily take your money for years, but don't expect us to do squat. If you do, we will dump you in a New York second!" that is an abuse of power, not to mention a borderline violation of the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution.

I recognize most people just shut up and deal with it, but it doesn't make it right, nor should it be allowed. Such actions go beyond the fiduciary responsibility of preventing loss by serial claims and into violations of contractual obligation.

To everyone that says "Don't make that $4,000 claim or you'll end up losing money or being dumped!" - you just showed how you too signed a foolish and abusive contract and you are willing to "forgive" and pay out of your own pocket for services you already are paying for. You judge yourselves.

If a company offered a policy that was straightforward, like they used to be in the past - "We will pay you the worth of your house, up to $X dollars, if it burns down, and NOT pay you under any other circumstance", the cost of such insurance could be minimal. Instead there are enough clauses to confuse a CPA, and enough wiggle room to not respond to make Al Capone look like a piker.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You should have run over the “iron gates” and claimed a SODI* job!

*Some other dude did it

Old 07-20-2021, 02:40 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Even if the claim is cancelled, it may still show up as a "zero" dollar claim on your history. Suspect too late to affect that. A lot depends on the nature of the claim (did your action/inaction create the garage damage?), the degree of risk due to local environmental hazards, and how often you've made claims in the past. IME, not all homeowners insurance claims raise your premium. I've made one claim on a homeowner's policy; cleanup due to a oil-fired boiler puffback. No premium increase, no cancellation. If I had damage that wasn't major I'd probably check my deductible and get a couple of repair estimates before deciding whether or not to file a claim.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-20-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 02:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The larger question is "What perverted economic system and regulatory authority allows such abuse of customers?"

When a fear relationship with a company is based upon their previous history of stating "We will happily take your money for years, but don't expect us to do squat. If you do, we will dump you in a New York second!" that is an abuse of power, not to mention a borderline violation of the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution.

I recognize most people just shut up and deal with it, but it doesn't make it right, nor should it be allowed. Such actions go beyond the fiduciary responsibility of preventing loss by serial claims and into violations of contractual obligation.

To everyone that says "Don't make that $4,000 claim or you'll end up losing money or being dumped!" - you just showed how you too signed a foolish and abusive contract and you are willing to "forgive" and pay out of your own pocket for services you already are paying for. You judge yourselves.

If a company offered a policy that was straightforward, like they used to be in the past - "We will pay you the worth of your house, up to $X dollars, if it burns down, and NOT pay you under any other circumstance", the cost of such insurance could be minimal. Instead there are enough clauses to confuse a CPA, and enough wiggle room to not respond to make Al Capone look like a piker.
Perhaps you ought to head over to P&OC.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:02 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
We've never had an increase in our homeowner's insurance due to a claim. Our rates have gone up after hurricanes and such, but those increases apply to everyone. OH, I see Texas doesn't allow rates to increase based on a single claim. That makes a difference, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House