Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes!
Throw unGodly amounts of CASH their way, and say “Yes” there’s more if that isn’t enough!

As the ol’ sayin’ goes… Money talks, Bulls#!t walks!
LOL even that only works in a limited manner. Ask me how I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It's not a hiring problem. It's a 'professionalism' problem.

I understand if a person is booked until next year due to the COVID situation and a back up in the requests for contractors to do work. What I don't understand is never returning a phone call. This virtually assures I will not try to call you again (to give you my business and my money). I think this happens because many don't have an office. They answer their own calls, on their cell phones, and have no one to organize their business activities. Maybe they don't need to, though...that was just my thought.

In my neck of the woods, unprofessional/flaky contractors are a real problem. The really good ones are 'taken' by word of mouth. They are always booked and generally work with the 'wealthier' homeowners, or people they have worked with before. Also, except for plumbers and electricians, I believe, no one has to have a license, so you take your chances on the local guys who claim they can do your work.
I feel your pain.

I bought a house in April. It needs work. I'm slowly getting work done on it, but SLOWLY is the operative word there. I have plenty of money set aside to do the work, and I pay promptly. But here's a typical interaction:

I needed to overhaul the sprinkler system. I called 1) the sprinkler company that I generally use, and 2) when they didn't answer and I had to leave a message, I called the company that was the most highly recommended by others. I didn't get a follow up call from either of them. Finally I had to call a company that I had never heard of (they did a great job). They answered the phone and booked the appointment and showed up and it was done in one day - and they charged me a handsome sum which I paid immediately. About a month later, I did get a call back from the second company I called, and the guy acted all butthurt with me because I didn't wait A MONTH for him to call back! He said "Well, I was on vacation with my family." That's fine, but CHECK YOUR VOICE MAILS AND HAVE SOMEONE CALL ME BACK. OR HAVE YOUR CALLS FORWARDED, OR SOMETHING. SOMETHING. I would have waited if I had only heard back from SOMEONE.

It was so irritating.

But the silver lining is that I did find someone good, and I will call them again. The other two companies have lost my business forever.

Same with several other companies. I have a company which does my lawn maintenance. The owner actually came out and looked at my flower beds and landscaping needs and he said "We do patios too" as he looked askance at my patio that someone else had done. I said, "I know but I needed to get a patio done and I told you about this weeks ago and never heard anything from you." So anyway, I need THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF LANDSCAPING DONE. I have the money. He knows this. Two months later, I still haven't heard back from him on anything. So finally, in desperation (I broke my right elbow a few months ago so sorry but I can't do my own landscaping) I attended a landscaping class and the instructor, who knows me and knows I pay promptly, referred me to two other people, while I stood there watching her. She sent my name and contact information directly to two owners, with notes and photos of my landscaping needs. She said "You should hear from them immediately and let me know if you don't, because I refer a lot of people to them." I waited a week. I finally called the first one, who to his credit did call me right back. I said, "The instructor sent my information to you a week ago but I never heard from you so I'm calling you." He too is swamped, going on vacation for two weeks, and says he will call me back and come out the middle of August. We'll see what happens. Sheeze! I need to call the instructor back and tell her my experiences.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:18 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I've had 8 people NOT show up for appts to give me estimates on a job. Not bothering to let you know they aren't showing up either.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 AM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
I recently had to do a renovation of the master bathroom. Home Advisor, I think it is called, is always sending me emails about projects that my house probably needs so I went there and entered the information about the job to get three contractors to give me estimates. Nothing was said about cost in the information I posted so that wasn't an issue.

One contractor contacted me. Fortunately, he had a lot of great references. I liked the previous work he showed me, and he was very knowledgeable when he came to do the estimate. The company ended up doing a really good job even though this turned into as much of a repair job as a renovation project. He didn't gouge me on the additional costs involved.

I feel like I got lucky. Supposedly, you are to contact three contractors for estimates. I would still be waiting.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:17 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anyone have any tips on getting attention or is it just so busy...

A few days ago I emailed a guy I hired to do some gutters. Did great work a few months back and I want more done. No response yet

I have a tree that needs to trimmed. I get one guy to come out looks at it and says he "has a tree guy" and doesn't call back. Second guy takes a look says "nope" and walks away. The branch is over a porch and you must have insurance. I message two local contractors for quotes probably within a few miles of me. No response. I contact another and he said to send some photos. I sent some photos and a video and was supposed to get back to me today (he didn't). I'm about to contact a 6th landscaping company about a tree trimming in the past three weeks to just give a quote.

I don't get it. Is there a hiring problem?
I think it's been like this for a long time, and I find it rude that they never get back to people, even if they are busy. My fiance does tile and even when he can't take a job, he'd at least let the person know. I contacted a couple of surveyors from Home Advisor, and both never wrote back again after I told them the property size (relatively small). This was before Covid, so I don't think it's anything new that contractors don't respond if they are busy enough not to need the work. They can pick and choose, and that's fine, but they shouldn't leave people hanging.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM

All I know is that this is the third house I've done extensive work on and the only one during COVID and I've never had any experience like this before.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anyone have any tips on getting attention or is it just so busy...

A few days ago I emailed a guy I hired to do some gutters. Did great work a few months back and I want more done. No response yet

I have a tree that needs to trimmed. I get one guy to come out looks at it and says he "has a tree guy" and doesn't call back. Second guy takes a look says "nope" and walks away. The branch is over a porch and you must have insurance. I message two local contractors for quotes probably within a few miles of me. No response. I contact another and he said to send some photos. I sent some photos and a video and was supposed to get back to me today (he didn't). I'm about to contact a 6th landscaping company about a tree trimming in the past three weeks to just give a quote.

I don't get it. Is there a hiring problem?
Your job may be too small. They need work that takes up a whole day and occupies a team of 3 or 4 to make it worthwhile. Commuting and work preparation takes up 1-2 hours for each day for each job. It's difficult to do jobs that take a half day since you can't work the rest of the day.

You're also in the busy period where the contractors are doing remodeling for home sales/purchases and the smaller contractors are doing work for HOA architectural inspections. Both have deadlines in September. So they've been booked since June when the listing agreements and HOA letters went out.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:26 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
I’m in the planning stages of home various home projects. For the contractors with excellent reputations in our community, I’ve waited a week for a call back. And they’ve scheduled appts as fr as 4-6 weeks out just to look at what I want done. Then another one-two weeks for an estimate.

They are slammed. This is what helps….give them a little understanding. Say “I know you’re swamped and I don’t mind waiting, etc.” I knew this going into it, I was warned by various construction pros. They’ve all thanked me and seem to be relieved. They’re getting a lot of grief.

The contractors I want do not take shortcuts and their reputations are literally their livelihood. This busy season will end eventually and they need to come out of it intact. If they lose a few potential impatient customers who can’t wait, it’s no loss to them.

One of my projects is a bath remodel…a full gut job. The contractor I think I’m going with…I still have another estimate outstanding….can’t start my job until next May. And that’s fine with us. He does impeccable work which is more important than getting it done quickly.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I feel your pain.

I bought a house in April. It needs work. I'm slowly getting work done on it, but SLOWLY is the operative word there. I have plenty of money set aside to do the work, and I pay promptly. But here's a typical interaction:

I needed to overhaul the sprinkler system. I called 1) the sprinkler company that I generally use, and 2) when they didn't answer and I had to leave a message, I called the company that was the most highly recommended by others. I didn't get a follow up call from either of them. Finally I had to call a company that I had never heard of (they did a great job). They answered the phone and booked the appointment and showed up and it was done in one day - and they charged me a handsome sum which I paid immediately. About a month later, I did get a call back from the second company I called, and the guy acted all butthurt with me because I didn't wait A MONTH for him to call back! He said "Well, I was on vacation with my family." That's fine, but CHECK YOUR VOICE MAILS AND HAVE SOMEONE CALL ME BACK. OR HAVE YOUR CALLS FORWARDED, OR SOMETHING. SOMETHING. I would have waited if I had only heard back from SOMEONE.

It was so irritating.

But the silver lining is that I did find someone good, and I will call them again. The other two companies have lost my business forever.

Same with several other companies. I have a company which does my lawn maintenance. The owner actually came out and looked at my flower beds and landscaping needs and he said "We do patios too" as he looked askance at my patio that someone else had done. I said, "I know but I needed to get a patio done and I told you about this weeks ago and never heard anything from you." So anyway, I need THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF LANDSCAPING DONE. I have the money. He knows this. Two months later, I still haven't heard back from him on anything. So finally, in desperation (I broke my right elbow a few months ago so sorry but I can't do my own landscaping) I attended a landscaping class and the instructor, who knows me and knows I pay promptly, referred me to two other people, while I stood there watching her. She sent my name and contact information directly to two owners, with notes and photos of my landscaping needs. She said "You should hear from them immediately and let me know if you don't, because I refer a lot of people to them." I waited a week. I finally called the first one, who to his credit did call me right back. I said, "The instructor sent my information to you a week ago but I never heard from you so I'm calling you." He too is swamped, going on vacation for two weeks, and says he will call me back and come out the middle of August. We'll see what happens. Sheeze! I need to call the instructor back and tell her my experiences.
Yup. Clearly, this is a problem across the country - not just in my neck of the woods.

Agree that the patio guy could have at least left a voice recording that he would be on vacation, but again, I think most of them use their own, private cell phones and don't have any type of admin staff (can't your wife help? hahaha). Oh well. Their loss. And it's the height of chutzpah to think you'd wait indefinitely to hear back from someone. NOT.

I'd tell your instructor, too. If she's referring people who are not following through, she may want to reconsider that. I no longer recommend the one plumber who was involved in my shower repair.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:12 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Not showing up, not giving well written quotes for work...happening frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House