Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 07:53 AM

667 posts, read 1,838,919 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your replies. I think for my neighbors there is a gut reaction that any security is preferable to less security, not matter what or how illogical, and they can't say why...

I looked at pretty glass storm doors. That would enhance the look of the house. I might think about it in the future--right now there is a list of things to replace....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 08:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,585,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Thank you for your replies. I think for my neighbors there is a gut reaction that any security is preferable to less security, not matter what or how illogical, and they can't say why...

I looked at pretty glass storm doors. That would enhance the look of the house. I might think about it in the future--right now there is a list of things to replace....

Thank you!
I got a (nice) storm door that has a replaceable panel. In the warmer months, I put the screen in when it is warmer out and then the glass in when it is colder. My prior one was really annoying. It no longer had the mechanism to keep it open and did a really hard close, not to mention, it needed a new screen. I have a red door and it was not even really visible with the old screen. Now it is visible with either option. I know the screen is not the best looking, but the other window on that side of the house does not open- so it is a good way to let a breeze in during those days when it is warm enough that you need some cooling but don’t necessarily want to turn on the AC.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:27 AM

41,740 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Storm/screen doors have very little to do with security. But if your door is that gorgeous, I'd totally invest in a full glass-panel storm door to protect it and show it off, and a screen insert to let in fresh air on nice days.

The storm door also will add a layer of insulation, which in any climate is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I think you missed the part where the OP said there's a large porch overhang so no wind or rain. There was also no mention of a storm panel, and from the description it sounds like that's not the case. You're answering a completely different question.
There's more that can weather a wooden door than rain and wind, and no porch overhang will prevent all rain or wind from reaching the front door anyway.

And even if the OP's current door is screen only, that does not prevent others from making the helpful and constructive suggestion that the current door should be replaced with a door that will protect the exterior door.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:29 AM

1,582 posts, read 1,176,317 times
We installed storm doors for this purpose; they also lock. They have a screen that rolls down to cover 1/2 of the door when you want air, otherwise, the screens stay rolled up in the top of the door, leaving it with an all glass appearance. They are awesome!

Old 08-06-2021, 11:31 AM

13,636 posts, read 12,272,605 times
Quote:
I live in an old house that I purchased because it was inexpensive, but some original elements, like the molding and wood work are appealing to me.

The front screen door is just cheap. Lately I used a crow bar to get it open (it was stuck) and so it is now bent out of shape with the screen ripped.

The front door is a nice element. It is clearly original, thick, beautiful wood, with pretty carvings, etc.

I want to remove the screen door and leave it off. The front door is under a big front porch, so no rain or wind. It has two expensive locks. It is thick. The screen door gave little security in comparison. (I never locked it, I don't know anyone who does.) I don't know why I need it.

So I asked a few neighbor fellows if the obvious way to remove it (remove the screws and pull it off) is workable, or is there some hidden complication, and to a man they said: no, no, no, you need a screen door.
One offered to help me install a new one, so I have that. But I wasn't asking for that and I would want to pay him.

I think they are worried about a woman living alone? (This is a safe neighborhood.)

so--

Do I need a screen door?

and---

Is the obvious way to remove it (remove the screws and pull it off) workable, or is there some hidden complication?
No, people like to have them for ventilation. Not needed. That said I think a storm door is required if you're trying to finance with an FHA or VA loan. So while you may not need it you may add it if you sell.

My house didn't have them, we added one on the side entrance for spring and fall when it's cool and we want to air the house a bit.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:23 PM

[quote=Ohiogirl81;61615383]Storm/screen doors have very little to do with security. But if your door is that gorgeous, I'd totally invest in a full glass-panel storm door to protect it and show it off]

Thanks, if anyone visits me, I have to admit it's not that gorgeous. It is attractively old-looking and it is original to the house, so I find it appealing, much more so than the screen door. It's a little worn, like the entire house.

Just the same, I would like to show it off, being it is old and authentic and I like it. I might look at the full glass storm door.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:34 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,571,275 times
Karen
Have you considered a full glass storm door? They all have an optional full screen insert in addition to the glass. Keep the glass in during the winter, screen the rest of the time.

There are also retractable screen doors for use when needed.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:59 PM

I have an old letter slot in this door. I just read on the internet it is not safe!! The slot is much too small to put a hand through, but I read thiefs will put wires through.

Before I pull my screen door down, I will fill it with something for safety reasons. Is there a putty that hardens to a hard consistency that would not let a wire through?

(I have a wood fill product I used to repair my floors; it seems good enough, huh?)

Old 08-06-2021, 03:05 PM

I am quite freaked out now. Going to Home Depot to find something to cover/fill my mail slot!

Old 08-06-2021, 04:22 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,521,682 times
Quote:
I am quite freaked out now. Going to Home Depot to find something to cover/fill my mail slot!
99% of the burglars will either kick in the door or find another way in if they're determined enough. The mail slot wouldn't be a big concern for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House