Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 07:38 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate my screen door and the only reason I still have it is to keep my dog from running out when I open the front door.

I think you are perfectly capable of unscrewing the hinges and any other hardware, fill the holes with wood filler, sand it and paint...piece of cake.
Thank you, I will try.

Thank you to everyone! Just to emphasize, this is not an expensive and luxurious door. It's just attractive to my eyes, old and fitting to the look of the old house. I actually can't even tell if it is solid wood, maybe not.

But even I can tell the screen door is particularly junky! And replacements are pretty expensive.

A beautiful glass door would enhance rather than detract in my opinion. Maybe if I can find one that isn't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 08:05 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I wouldn't worry about the mail slot.

"Mail slots are by far the most common means of receiving mail in Europe, and housebreaking is no more common there. What’s more, despite many Americans’ fears, police records do not indicate that mail slots are often used in housebreaking."

https://articles.securitymailbox.com...urity-matters/

Old 08-08-2021, 09:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I live in an area that gets little rain. We also don't have many bugs. Screen doors are not for any kind of security. Few people even have them in my area. Most people that replace the front door with a new front door don't put them on. They detract from the beauty of the front door.

Saying that. I know of a real nice retractable screen door that disappears when you open it. So lets say that the door is open and you choose to close the screen door. It uses a track system to slide closed and retracts into the frame. You still get the screen door and it doesn't take away from the beauty of your front door.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
This thread is making me want to put screen doors on my patio doors.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
So someone can't reach in and grab you by the throat. And all security doors are not ugly.
No one can grab anyone through the main door if it's closed.

Throwing down the gauntlet here with a challenge to post a picture of a security door that is not ugly.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:17 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Throwing down the gauntlet here with a challenge to post a picture of a security door that is not ugly.
A big problem with doors is that people install ones that don't visually/stylistically/architecturally fit with the house. That includes both storm/screen and main entry.

There's a 100+ year old brick house here (rare enough) that the investor who bought replaced the original wooden door with an oval stained glass light with a steel door with the two 6 inch by 6 inch windows at the top. Looks like crap.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:43 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A big problem with doors is that people install ones that don't visually/stylistically/architecturally fit with the house. That includes both storm/screen and main entry.

There's a 100+ year old brick house here (rare enough) that the investor who bought replaced the original wooden door with an oval stained glass light with a steel door with the two 6 inch by 6 inch windows at the top. Looks like crap.
Ugh! Always been a pet peeve of mine. What’s wrong with people? It’s second only to fake, incorrectly sized shutters.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:59 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
True. So why install such an expensive, ugly thing as a "security door"?
We needed a screen door that would keep out animals (javalinas, coyotes, snakes, goats, humans); we often leave the solid door open at night. The security gate does a good job, and was cheaper than the ugly screen doors.

And it's actually a bit more attractive than my 1970s front door with amber plastic window.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 08-08-2021, 02:18 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:

So you open the door to the see the person that's there to talk to them and he grabs you. Happens often in nefarious areas.
Screen door beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your idea of beauty doesn't necessarily jive with others. In our neighborhood 99% of home owners have these type of security doors. Many are similiar to these, though there are hundreds of different designs and patterns:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-G...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TITAN-Titan...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ODL-Mont...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-08-2021, 03:03 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
So you open the door to the see the person that's there to talk to them and he grabs you. Happens often in nefarious areas.
Screen door beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your idea of beauty doesn't necessarily jive with others. In our neighborhood 99% of home owners have these type of security doors. Many are similiar to these, though there are hundreds of different designs and patterns:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-G...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TITAN-Titan...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ODL-Mont...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have never, and would never live someplace where I needed a security door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House