Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 04:53 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times

Advertisements

Hey there--I apologize in advance for my racing mind; can't stop thinking about this situation and not sure if I'll get an answer in time so I thought I'd reach out and see what some thoughts are if I can.

I have an opportunity to buy a home which fits just about everything I'm looking for, except it has no storage and closet space to speak of (closet space is the real problem because I can buy a shed for the storage; also--it needs a half-bath on the first floor and more kitchen space for a pantry).

It's a pretty small cottage and would need to be expanded in order to get anymore space in there (rooms are pretty good size, but wouldn't want to decrease them because then they would be too small). I'd be fine with getting someone to expand it--knock down some walls and would need a totally new space on the first floor for a half-bath and can probably do a cantilevered extension from the second floor (I'm thinking all the expansions can be done by a bump out and wouldn't need like an entire new four-walled room--just moving out a wall in a particular area for each extension).

I know nothing at all about what it takes to expand a home; the land around it is kind of rocky (on the central PA and MD border). The seller is looking at offers on Monday and I'm not sure if I can get my contractor out there until Tuesday (my realtor is looking at different options).

Is an expansion just about doable with any property/land type? I'm sure some situations are more costly than others. What I don't want to do is go into this without knowing the approximate cost of such a project and it wind up being like a quarter million to do because of the land or something isn't conducive to extending a foundation or something else I know nothing about.

Also the property has been extended already, not sure if that would make a difference. Originally it was a little one-room cabin--the kitchen, first-floor bedroom and upper floors have all been added.

So that's why I'm here seeing if there's someone out there knowledgeable about this stuff, because my mind is racing and I've exhausted all sources of information at the moment! I could post the listing, if it would help, just not sure it would.

Well, thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts--and I understand if there's nothing really to say since you're going by words and can't actually physically visit the property.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 08-06-2021 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 05:10 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We did this.
But, we hired our architect first and then went house shopping.
We only bought the house after he said: “we can do this”.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:28 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
You'd have to check boundary lines to see if the lot is big enough.
You'd need building permits.
Your taxes will of course go up.
If the land is rocky, you might have to blast the stone. Good luck with that.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd either adapt to what's there or keep looking.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:06 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, I think I'm not going to offer unless I can get someone out there who can look at it and say it can be done without costing an arm and a leg. If someone else puts in an offer before that, then they can have it. I know I can't deal with the small space.

About the taxes--the taxes in MD are miniscule compared to PA. The other place I'm considering that would also have to be expanded, the taxes there are over $3,000 compared to the $880 on this property. And it wouldn't be expanded that much. It's just something that would fit me so well--it has everything pretty much, compared to this lack of space (the listing agent explained the lot goes way around the house so that wouldn't be an issue. Of course, that would have to be double-checked with inspection and all that that goes with that).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 08-06-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 07:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You'd have to check boundary lines to see if the lot is big enough.
You'd need building permits.
Your taxes will of course go up.
If the land is rocky, you might have to blast the stone. Good luck with that.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd either adapt to what's there or keep looking.
I’d imagine this is the main issue. Many municipalities/neighborhoods have setback requirements. My parents weren’t able to build anything on the back of their last home (they wanted to do a large, screened-in enclosure) because of the setbacks. Others have requirements that your home’s footprint not take up more than a certain percentage of the lot. My current area is a really popular one for additions, but it takes FOREVER. My neighbor across the way is trying to do one and I haven’t even seen that he’s started it yet. However, it is DIY and he had to do a lot of land clearing/leveling just to get the land ready.

I think the permitting process has also been slow due to COVID-19. I see a lot of homes that are tear downs that get torn down, but then the rebuilding component doesn’t seem to start for a while.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:51 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
It’s virtually impossible to make any judgment calls without actually seeing the house and property and knowing exactly what you are looking to accomplish.

Even at that point, it’s probably doable but at what cost? There might be better options out there that might be more suitable to accommodate your needs at a lower cost. It all has to be carefully evaluated.

Last edited by Rickcin; 08-06-2021 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 08:22 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I would rather look for a house that has enough space for my needs. Expansion often means trouble you aren't even anticipated. Sometimes the cost of expansion is just not worth it.
Make a detailed budget of all costs and don't forget your permits and inspections.

If the lot is small, you need to consider that some machinery (to even the land and pour concrete) might not have an easy access. And your landscape will be ruined - and that's added cost.
You also need to consider how the new addition will affect the surrounding areas and what obstacles have to be removed or relocated. Make sure you get informed about local building codes too.

Is the house managed by HOA?

It could be cheaper just to te-evaluate your needs and get rid of some stuff you need to store

Last edited by elnina; 08-06-2021 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
In most areas of the US there is a shortage of contractors and tradespeople. If you purchase a house that needs a lot of work, be prepared to wait for a while and pay a lot more than you anticipate for the remodel.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:14 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
It is so very hard to find contractors that are reliable. If you don’t already know someone you explicitly trust, I wouldn’t move forward with this house. You will have to get permits to expand a property and your taxes will increase, too. If you didn’t need the new half-bath I’d say take a trip to Ikea just to get ideas about managing interior storage. But the need to add a bottom floor half bath blows the deal IMO.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:23 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,279 times
Hi I am closing on my home after a year of searching; have been in your position, my advice: this does not seem like the right one, keep looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House