Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 07:52 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I'm the OP, & thank God I'm not disabled, or feeble--not sure why you'd assume that. This thing is huge, & there's only a 1/2 an inch between the wall on one side, & the cabinet on the other--no way to get a real grip. I don't know how much it weighs, but I'm guessing, way over 100 lbs.

Oh, FYI, yesterday I did trudge down to the basement, to cycle the circuit breaker......Nada....

And I didn't say I was ready to "drop $2K", or wouldn't "attempt basic troubleshooting".....

I just got a call back from a local appliance repair place. She said they can't work on LG's, or Samsung's. I'm going to go to a local grocery tomorrow to "try" to buy some bags of ice......maybe those are in short supply also? Of course this has to be August; in Winter here in NH I could just pack the $200 or $300 worth of frozen food in my 2 coolers & put them on the front porch. Unfortunately I'd gone on several trips to TJ's & other stores over the last few weeks to stock up on frozen food......never again.......
Maybe HD sell inexpensive chest freezer? My neighbors got one recently- no name brand- but cheap - right away too- seeing one for $160 now.

The fridge may have a handle at the bottom front- underneath? Or at the top- back ? - check if your model has it- to pull it out.

You can turn the breaker off - if it is on a separate circuit.

You could use a strap around it and slowly pulled it out.
More tips here
https://ask.metafilter.com/298210/Ho...t-to-unplug-it

Last edited by L00k4ward; 08-09-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 06:10 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
I was looking for a fridge...crap, has it really been that long? Yeah, I guess it has...anyway...three or four years ago. I was looking at the fancy LG and Samsungs that Consumer Reports had good write-ups on, but when I looked at the actual reviews by people who owned them there were tons of complaints about problems and an inability to get the problems resolved.

So, I happened to be in Lowes for something else and wandered into the fridge area just for grins. There was a Whirlpool model that was in the range of the size and features I wanted (french door, bottom freezer, SS finish) with a much better price than the Sams and LG.

Long story short- I talked to a guy there about the various models and the discrepancies I noticed with the CR reviews. He seemed to know his stuff and was willing to talk frankly. He told me that getting repairs on the Samsungs and LGs was difficult, it would be much easier to get repairs on Whirlpool or Frigidaire (if necessary).

I bought the Whirlpool, it's been great so far...Lowes kind of sucked with delivery though...but that's another story (that ends with them paying me more than twice the cost of the fridge before discounts and negotiation).

Old 08-10-2021, 09:12 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I'm the OP, & thank God I'm not disabled, or feeble--not sure why you'd assume that. This thing is huge, & there's only a 1/2 an inch between the wall on one side, & the cabinet on the other--no way to get a real grip. I don't know how much it weighs, but I'm guessing, way over 100 lbs.
Umm, refrigerators are on wheels, at least the normal ones are. They are not that hard to move.

If you have never moved it for cleaning, there is probably plenty of dust on the condensor, which is not good for the long term. Also- a very small gap around the refrigerator means heat transport is poor, again leading to short life and higher energy cost.

Buy a slightly smaller refrigerator next time. Now if the cabinets were installed with too small a gap for available sizes- bad news.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Umm, refrigerators are on wheels, at least the normal ones are. They are not that hard to move.

If you have never moved it for cleaning, there is probably plenty of dust on the condensor, which is not good for the long term. Also- a very small gap around the refrigerator means heat transport is poor, again leading to short life and higher energy cost.

Buy a slightly smaller refrigerator next time. Now if the cabinets were installed with too small a gap for available sizes- bad news.

My newish LG doesn't have wheels, nor do the 2 Haiers at our cabin. Apparently they're considered to be a safety hazard now.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thanks to the virus, there are a lot of issues with appliances, and furniture, and cars… In all honesty I’d call your repair guy and have him come out and look at it. You know in a year it’ll be easy to buy a fridge. But right now it’s not.
It's not easy to buy anything now (unless it's overpriced)--you should read some of the car forums. And I even had my order for Bounty paper towels cancelled by Walmart last week with some bogus excuse. (Walmart su*cks, but that's a different issue).

I think it's turning into something like the novel: "The Mandibles: A Family 2029-2047" by Lionel Shriver, about some dystopian future, where even people in "First World" countries had trouble getting anything.

Now I'm figuring out what to eat next from my fridge, or freezer, before it goes bad. I haven't gone out to buy ice yet, b/c I'm just feeling really lousy & "worn down" for some reason.

I'm actually looking at this mini freezer on the HD site for $147. Only 1.1 cu. ft., & manual defrost, for people who remember what that was. Oh, & thanks for the tips & responses......

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-...12SS/301314595

Old 08-10-2021, 07:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
It's not for everyone, but consider if you really need a full-size refrigerator.

As a single woman living alone, I get by with just a dorm-size fridge and a freezer about the same size (both available secondhand from college students or for a reasonable price at big box stores).

Old 08-11-2021, 06:21 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've had no problems with my Samsung; it's now 3 years old.
I guess you don't actually know me, so you don't have to change your story.
Well, it's only been 3 years. The refrigerator recommendation question gets asked a lot on our neighborhood Facebook page, and OMG, the responses are many and passionate about people's unhappiness with them. And then there are al the class action lawsuits.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:23 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
My newish LG doesn't have wheels, nor do the 2 Haiers at our cabin. Apparently they're considered to be a safety hazard now.
Interesting. That would be a pain. Our KitchenAid is about a year and a half old, and it has wheels. Thank goodness, because the thing is huge.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:07 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
> I can't pull the refrigerator out from the wall to unplug it & plug it in again

This is the most basic thing to try and it might actually work. If OP is disabled maybe he can ask a friend to try this? Or to cycle the circuit breaker?

I am OK financially but I would never drop $2K before attempting basic troubleshooting.

By the way, appliances of any kind are in short supply and even a less suitable refrigerator might take weeks to get.

Exactly what I'd say. Unplug and plug back in, see if it goes on. Could also be that the back of the freezer is iced. It may need to be unplugged and thawed a day. Happens to mine. The fan that blows the cold air to the fridge gets frozen.

Suggestion to the OP, if you have an ice maker, I hope you dumped the ice in a cooler before it thawed to water.

We have been looking but we need specifics so have not bought. Have a 2nd fridge so it's been working for us. The freezer works on the old one, just not the fridge side. The sealed system in ours is shot.

OP should try calling other repair places. Find a local Facebook group to ask who everyone else uses.

Good luck finding a new one with the shortage. It gets harder every day.

Buy that small fridge if it's in stock. That will do the trick, just in case you can't find a regular sized one.

Also, google the brand and model number with the specific problem. Is the whole thing not cold or just the fridge like mine? You should see the fix online with part number. You then buy the part, find a you tube video of the install. It's what we do. My dryer stopped getting hot again. Happened in November too. Probably the same part keep blowing for some reason. My hub and son will take it apart over the weekend. My hub was gonna have son do it on his 3 days off but son got his 2nd COVID vaccine, was down Monday.

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-11-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 11:10 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
... So, I happened to be in Lowes for something else and wandered into the fridge area just for grins. There was a Whirlpool model that was in the range of the size and features I wanted (french door, bottom freezer, SS finish) with a much better price than the Sams and LG.

Long story short- I talked to a guy there about the various models and the discrepancies I noticed with the CR reviews. He seemed to know his stuff and was willing to talk frankly. He told me that getting repairs on the Samsungs and LGs was difficult, it would be much easier to get repairs on Whirlpool or Frigidaire (if necessary).

I bought the Whirlpool, it's been great so far...Lowes kind of sucked with delivery though...but that's another story (that ends with them paying me more than twice the cost of the fridge before discounts and negotiation).
Similar story here, except I wanted one in black (I've never liked SS). IIRC I bought mine from Lowe's too (I bought some appliances from HD but I think the fridge was from Lowe's) ... and I had delivery issues as well (2 promised delivery dates, then they don't show up!). But the refrigerator itself is great (I got it in late 2018 so it's now almost 3 years old).

I also have 2 smaller refrigerator/freezers (i.e., with a separate freezer compartment), both bought on sale at Walmart. They look like this one -- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-Ki...Black/49660452 -- although mine are Haiers. I have one under the counter in my north kitchen bar area (it's 33.5" tall and fits perfectly in the space) and one upstairs in my home office (for fruit, water, etc.). They weren't expensive at all and I like the idea of having them if the Whirlpool goes on the fritz for any reason (in reality, the Haiers will likely die before the Whirlpool!). The separate freezers are really nice to have (although I also have a freezer in my basement -- I am kind of a nut about stocking up on meat/poultry/etc. when it goes on sale!).

Quote:

OP, this ^^^ (bolded) is actually something to be careful about. When I remodeled my kitchen in late 2018, I went with a 37"-wide refrigerator cabinet. My cabinets are Kraftmaid, which 10 years ago did not MAKE a 37"-wide refrigerator cabinet as a standard offering. They then realized that refrigerator clearances were getting bigger while the refrigerators themselves were not getting smaller -- so a nominal 36" fridge (which is likely 35.5" or so) may no longer fit in an actual 36" space, given the new required clearances. When my refrigerator was delivered I was VERY glad I'd gone with a 37" cabinet. (Incidentally, same with wall ovens -- I went with a 31.5" wall oven cabinet for my 30" wall ovens, even though a 30" cabinet SHOULD HAVE worked and would have in the past.) Of course, if you're not in the midst of a remodel, the available space is hard to change, so your only option may be a smaller fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House