Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 AM

613 posts, read 943,906 times

Advertisements

This morning I noticed that all the cans In my LG fridge were covered in condensation (like sweat). And They're not cold--I keep the fridge on "5" so things are usually very cold. And I don't hear it running. I tried something I read to press The "ice plus" & the refrigerator button. Now the 2 sets of lights for the fridge, & freezer, showing the cooling settings, from 1 thru 6, are just constantly flashing between the #'s several times a minute.

I can't pull the refrigerator out from the wall to unplug it & plug it in again (if that would even work). There's an OK appliance repair guy I could probably call that charges $85 for the first 15 minutes & to show up. Last time he came for my POS "HF" Samsung washer & said it wasn't worth it to fix.

I could probably order a new refrigerator in the time it'd take "repair guy" to get here. And of, course, I have a freezer full of great frozen food in the summer. My current LG is 19.7 cu. feet & it's really "fitted" into the cabinets. It's 29.8" w x 32.2" d x 68.4" h. It has French doors, & a bottom freezer, which I really like.

But I don't want to pay 2K or 3K for a new one. I'm thinking something from Lowe's or Home Depot. I could probably live with a top freezer & conventional door to save $$. Any suggestions, as to brand, or anything else? Also, I'm thinking of going with stainless, even tho the current appliances are black.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 09:01 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Replace. A 13 year old refrigerator is not worth fixing. The service call will cost more than it's worth. You can always buy a used fridge, that's only a few years old, for a couple hundred bucks.

We bought a KitchenAid refrigerator a little overe a year ago. Not cheap, but I absolutely love it. So much so, that I replaaced all of our other appliances with KitchenAid. I also have two teenagers and we cook pretty much every day, so we need a bigger fridge and appreciate the features. I was able to save some money because I just got lucky and found a floor model.

The only reecommendation I have is to NOT buy a Samsung. I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with them. Also lots and lots of lawsuits and entire webpages devoted to how horrible they are. Also be aware that there is a huge shortgage right now, so you may have a hard time finding a fridge, which will limit your options.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:03 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
This morning I noticed that all the cans In my LG fridge were covered in condensation (like sweat). And They're not cold--I keep the fridge on "5" so things are usually very cold. And I don't hear it running. I tried something I read to press The "ice plus" & the refrigerator button. Now the 2 sets of lights for the fridge, & freezer, showing the cooling settings, from 1 thru 6, are just constantly flashing between the #'s several times a minute.

I can't pull the refrigerator out from the wall to unplug it & plug it in again (if that would even work). There's an OK appliance repair guy I could probably call that charges $85 for the first 15 minutes & to show up. Last time he came for my POS "HF" Samsung washer & said it wasn't worth it to fix.

I could probably order a new refrigerator in the time it'd take "repair guy" to get here. And of, course, I have a freezer full of great frozen food in the summer. My current LG is 19.7 cu. feet & it's really "fitted" into the cabinets. It's 29.8" w x 32.2" d x 68.4" h. It has French doors, & a bottom freezer, which I really like.

But I don't want to pay 2K or 3K for a new one. I'm thinking something from Lowe's or Home Depot. I could probably live with a top freezer & conventional door to save $$. Any suggestions, as to brand, or anything else? Also, I'm thinking of going with stainless, even tho the current appliances are black.

TIA
I have a house full of new LG appliances, based on previous experience with LG. Every one of kitchen appliances has a cosmetic 'quality control' issue. Doors not mating up, drawers crooked, etc. Even the microwave 'beep' will periodically sound like it's underwater. Weird. Nothing functionally wrong with any of them, but it's disapointing... especially with the higher end products.

Washer and dryer look great, though.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Replace. A 13 year old refrigerator is not worth fixing. The service call will cost more than it's worth. You can always buy a used fridge, that's only a few years old, for a couple hundred bucks.

We bought a KitchenAid refrigerator a little overe a year ago. Not cheap, but I absolutely love it. So much so, that I replaaced all of our other appliances with KitchenAid. I also have two teenagers and we cook pretty much every day, so we need a bigger fridge and appreciate the features. I was able to save some money because I just got lucky and found a floor model.

The only reecommendation I have is to NOT buy a Samsung. I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with them. Also lots and lots of lawsuits and entire webpages devoted to how horrible they are. Also be aware that there is a huge shortgage right now, so you may have a hard time finding a fridge, which will limit your options.
I think I agree with you that: A 13 year old refrigerator is not worth fixing." I'm looking at this 18.3 Cu. in. Frigidaire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...35VS/311743486

Or this 20.4 Cu. in. Frigidaire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...302007875-_-N&

The homedepot site says they can both be delivered by 8/11 (but I doubt very much I can count on that). And all my food will be rotten by then. I should've brought my 80's GE fridge from my old house & had it put in the basement (maybe).

Oh, I just realized that a New England chain called Baron's has those Frigidaire's, & for the same prices....They also have an 18 cu. ft. Whirlpool for $791, & some GE's around $800. Those "used" to be good brands.......

Last edited by WoodyWW; 08-08-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-08-2021, 01:38 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Most fridges won't last 10 years so replace.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I think I agree with you that: A 13 year old refrigerator is not worth fixing." I'm looking at this 18.3 Cu. in. Frigidaire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...35VS/311743486

Or this 20.4 Cu. in. Frigidaire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...302007875-_-N&

The homedepot site says they can both be delivered by 8/11 (but I doubt very much I can count on that). And all my food will be rotten by then. I should've brought my 80's GE fridge from my old house & had it put in the basement (maybe).

Oh, I just realized that a New England chain called Baron's has those Frigidaire's, & for the same prices....They also have an 18 cu. ft. Whirlpool for $791, & some GE's around $800. Those "used" to be good brands.......
I would go and take a look at them. I'm not sure what your needs are, but those may be smaller than you think. If you don't need much space, then they'll probably be fine.

Check local stores and Costco as well.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I would go and take a look at them. I'm not sure what your needs are, but those may be smaller than you think. If you don't need much space, then they'll probably be fine.

Check local stores and Costco as well.
I'm getting mentally exhausted with this, & don't know what brand to get, or whether to buy at HD, or the local appliance chain (Baron's, in NH). Did I mention my current (failing) fridge is 19.7 cu. ft.? The Frigidaire I've been looking at online-I don't know if they're that reliable. Oh, & from reading the reviews on the HD site, if they deliver a totally dysfunctional fridge, they won't take it back!

Baron's, I called. To say the guy was "curt" is an understatement. And they have a zillion fridges on their website, but only a very few they can deliver. The Frigidaire I posted about yesterday at HD--it's sold out now!

Whirlpool & GE are more reliable according to this article, (& they're more expensive). The article also lists LG as the top brand!? I don't need anything fancy really, altho I have a pretty nice kitchen, granite, nice tile floor, etc. (but not spectacular). I want glass shelves, & a freezer light would be nice, but a lot of them don't even have that

https://kitcheninfinity.com/top-refr...ands-to-avoid/

Last edited by WoodyWW; 08-09-2021 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-09-2021, 09:12 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
We had to special order our counter depth Whirlpool (white). It turned out to have major problems and our local repair man made them(Whirlpool) replace the freezer door. Also problems with the ice maker. Before that, we had a GE Profile which went through ice makers in nothing flat. Because of our space problem and wanting to keep white, it has been a challenge. I had an uncle with a Sub Zero and he had expensive repair bills and did not replace it with another S Z.

I am like another poster, I wish I had our old GE from the '80s. That thing never quit and we ended up selling to a workman that was remodeling our kitchen 20 years ago. He was going to keep beer in it. LOL

Old 08-09-2021, 09:22 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
> I can't pull the refrigerator out from the wall to unplug it & plug it in again

This is the most basic thing to try and it might actually work. If OP is disabled maybe he can ask a friend to try this? Or to cycle the circuit breaker?

I am OK financially but I would never drop $2K before attempting basic troubleshooting.

By the way, appliances of any kind are in short supply and even a less suitable refrigerator might take weeks to get.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I'm getting mentally exhausted with this, & don't know what brand to get, or whether to buy at HD, or the local appliance chain (Baron's, in NH). Did I mention my current (failing) fridge is 19.7 cu. ft.? The Frigidaire I've been looking at online-I don't know if they're that reliable. Oh, & from reading the reviews on the HD site, if they deliver a totally dysfunctional fridge, they won't take it back!

Baron's, I called. To say the guy was "curt" is an understatement. And they have a zillion fridges on their website, but only a very few they can deliver. The Frigidaire I posted about yesterday at HD--it's sold out now!

Whirlpool & GE are more reliable according to this article, (& they're more expensive). The article also lists LG as the top brand!? I don't need anything fancy really, altho I have a pretty nice kitchen, granite, nice tile floor, etc. (but not spectacular). I want glass shelves, & a freezer light would be nice, but a lot of them don't even have that

https://kitcheninfinity.com/top-refr...ands-to-avoid/
I think all of the brands mentioned are probably about the same. I would look at some in person to make sure you like them, and then just check websites for availability. Most of the big chains will tell you on their website it they are in stock (HD, Lowes, Costco, Best Buy, etc.). Prices are usually pretty much the same across the board. Also check the manufacturers websites. When we were ordering appliances, a lot of stores said they were out of stock, but they were in stock on the KitchenAid website, and I ordered directly from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House