Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw300 View Post
My neighbor put up a fence a couple years ago to keep the deer out of his grape vinyards. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is that the weeds on my side of the fence are getting out of control. We have been unable to find the markers placed in the ground by the surveyors. I asked my neighbor if I could trim the weeds and he said no even though they are on my side of the fence. Neither of us know where the property line is. My question is do I have a right to cut down the weeds on my side of the fence? As of late I have had problems with animals such as mice and rats making nests in the grass. It is a problem we never had before. My neighbor has been totally unreasonable of my requests. I just want to do what is correct I can't afford a surveyor as we have medical bills we are still trying to pay off. Can someone help me please?
You absolutely have the right to cut down weeds on your side of the fence. If you don't want to do that you could always use Roundup or some other chemical weed killer and get rid of them that way. It is my understanding that if it's on your property you can cut it, including overhanging branches. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw300 View Post
My neighbor put up a fence a couple years ago to keep the deer out of his grape vinyards. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is that the weeds on my side of the fence are getting out of control. We have been unable to find the markers placed in the ground by the surveyors. I asked my neighbor if I could trim the weeds and he said no even though they are on my side of the fence. Neither of us know where the property line is. My question is do I have a right to cut down the weeds on my side of the fence? As of late I have had problems with animals such as mice and rats making nests in the grass. It is a problem we never had before. My neighbor has been totally unreasonable of my requests. I just want to do what is correct I can't afford a surveyor as we have medical bills we are still trying to pay off. Can someone help me please?
You are not clear if the fence is on the property line. You can trim anything that is on your property. If the fence is set back from the property line you do not have the right to go onto his property to trim the weeds

Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You are not clear if the fence is on the property line. You can trim anything that is on your property. If the fence is set back from the property line you do not have the right to go onto his property to trim the weeds
The OP stated that, "Neither of us know where the property line is." I think it is unreasonable that he asked the neighbor if he could trim the weeds and the neighbor said no. I would tell him to either trim the weeds or that I will take care of them. You may not be clear on this but what is the neighbor going to do? He can't exactly call the police and accuse you of trespassing on your side of the fence. I would just make sure that I don't damage the fence or the neighbor could sue you for damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House