Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalatino View Post
I need help trying to determine the common area of fencing between my neighbor and I. The fence is from the driveway to the back of both of our homes. My home is set farther back from the street from their home. It is my understanding that I am responsible for half of the area from the start of my home back. Does anyone know the rules? If so I would really appreciate some advice.
Where is the property line? Have you discussed this with your neighbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
WHen I bought my house I didn't get the propertly line marked, which would have cost a couple thousand. I got a little map thingy, and I spoke to my neighbor before I planted trees about where the property line was. Neither of us was completely sure, but we said here's OK...sortof, so we at least prevented any future disputes.

I'd talk to the neighbor. To get the line accurately marked, it costs a couple grand, I think, but you can both decide on what is comfortable for you.

Trimming Trees - Mention to the neighbor you're going to trim trees. That's what my neighbor did when he trimmed a tree on my property. I didn't even know LOL it was on the property, so go ahead. As long as you don't kill the plant...unless you and the neighbor decide you don't want it.

Bottom line, I would say talk to the neighbors. If you're not really bothering them or costing them money, then I think it can prevent future issues.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
in a perfect world, talking things out with your neighbor would be nice. im my case, i moved in 1.5 yrs ago and my a-hole neighbor moved in a few months after me. we both have fences that were already there when we moved in, but there a an easement area of a few feet in between the 2 fences. this douche (who by the way is a family freeloader and is living in the house for free, he doesnt own it) decides to just start building all sorts of ****, retaining wall, extending driveway, without permits. he was getting to close for comfort to my property and i had to call the code enforcement on him because we disagreed on where the property line is. long story short, now we are sworn enemies. and still bicker over nonsensical crap.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
I have a tree that is in my property. My neighbor complained about the branch extending to her property. My husband cut the branch that was extending to her property. One Sunday morning, my husband caught the brother-in-law of the owner cutting the branch in my property. He opened his fence so he can reach the branch of the tree with his machete. Police were called. First, I was told the police will give him a ticket. The other police who is Indian, was called by the in laws and talked. And you know what this police told me that "two wrongs can not make right." But who started it in the first place. I think they( neighbors) knew somebody in the precinct. I would like justice. These neighbors are bullies and always think they are above the law. They also laugh at the policemen when they leave. I wish somebody handcuffed and put them to jail.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
I live in South Carolina and my property fence is 0.7 feet inside my next door neighbor's property that is just breaking ground. I have lived there for over 10 years. The new house owner is asking me to move my fence. Can I use the legal theory called adverse possession?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:47 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcns View Post
I live in South Carolina and my property fence is 0.7 feet inside my next door neighbor's property that is just breaking ground. I have lived there for over 10 years. The new house owner is asking me to move my fence. Can I use the legal theory called adverse possession?
This is a forum about remodeling/construction-
It's not a law firm for legal advise.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Only because I have family in S Carolina, I'm familiar with the laws there. No, you cannot claim adverse possession unless you've been paying the taxes on his property on your side of the fence for 10 years. While it's going to cost you a few bucks, I'd strongly suggest having the property surveyed and the surveyor putting pins where the actual, exact property line is where the fence is to be moved. If the neighbor is complaining about 0.7 feet of misplaced property, he's surely going to complain if you miss the mark by half an inch. You might also consider moving the fence onto your property by 6" which means he can't attach to it, paint it, stain it, hang crap on it, or stack crap against it.....unless he's paying for half of the move.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:22 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
Thanks for everyone's answers. When I bought the house, it was surveyed, which is how I found out where my property line is, and they even put a seperate line on the survey to show where the fence is in accordance to my property line. That is the reason why I woudl think that the back fence is mine- it is into my property a slight tad.

Florida does make you get permits for everything- is that info online? Contacting the previous owners will not be able to happen.

The only reason why I would want to step around the fence is because I am a big decorator and I would like to decorate around the sides of the fence. Now yes, I could probably getr a ladder, and hang it over, but if it were easier to just do it from in front of it, I wouldn't be able to do that now because the other side is the neighbors. Plus, I also heard that if it is right on the property line, the neighbor could actually hang stuff onto the fence, since it would be hanging over on their side??? Or is that just nonsense??

I figured, if I put it into my property, I'd be able to reach the front of the fence...and I dont' really understnad how the neighbor could have an issue with me goign to the front of my fence...when after all, in the front of it....whether or not it appears to be so...but it is my property after all.

I didn't want to put any of my neighbors off, which is why I wanted to get responses to help me figure out what to do.

Thanks so much!
I'm confused as to why you want to decorate the sides of your fence that face the neighbors and not your own yard? Or am I mistaken about that? I guess depending on what it is I'm not sure I'd want to see your decorations basically in my backyard every day. Seems a bit awkward.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
I have a new neighbor who is disputing the fence. It was installed 13 years ago by myself and the original owners of his home and neighbors. We were all the first owners in the sub and we made sure to put on the property line and did all of our yards and split costs. The new neighbor is saying it is a foot in his yard. We have a property line post as well as it engraved in sidewalk. He wants to tear it out and move it which will affect my landscaping as well as the center post for two other yards behind us. Help!!!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
My neighbor put up a fence a couple years ago to keep the deer out of his grape vinyards. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is that the weeds on my side of the fence are getting out of control. We have been unable to find the markers placed in the ground by the surveyors. I asked my neighbor if I could trim the weeds and he said no even though they are on my side of the fence. Neither of us know where the property line is. My question is do I have a right to cut down the weeds on my side of the fence? As of late I have had problems with animals such as mice and rats making nests in the grass. It is a problem we never had before. My neighbor has been totally unreasonable of my requests. I just want to do what is correct I can't afford a surveyor as we have medical bills we are still trying to pay off. Can someone help me please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House