Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 03:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenhouseZ View Post
This range is accurate.

Do your homework, get several quotes and go with a reputable pool contractor (I can't stress that enough). Don't fall for the cheap contractors who start out with a low upfront quote to get you to sign, but then quickly begin adding 'new' costs. When we had ours done, there weren't any hidden costs nor delays. Other than the price, it was a smooth and problem free process One neighbor went with a "cheaper" pool builder, who kept tacking on addtional costs as the project progressed, and it was a nightmare that took a year to complete.
This exactly. I paid "more" on the front end but less overall - and I chose a pool contractor who had been in business for over 25 years - and who also happened to live in my neighborhood (nice plus). What he bid was what it cost. Period. Took six weeks to complete from start to finish and that included a hot tub and pergola and landscaping and a redone sprinkler system and septic system.

OP, don't forget to add any other additional costs in - see above. The enlarged patio was an additional cost. The retaining wall was an additional cost. The pergola and hot tub were additional costs. The sprinkler system was an additional cost. The septic system was an additional cost. The landscaping was an additional cost. All laid out on the front end of course.

The pool itself was only about half of the total cost - maybe 2/3s but the rest was for the additional stuff.

I did a whole thread on it, and I believe I included costs of everything. It's I believe in the Gardening section since it was outdoors, but it may be in this section, I can't remember. It was about a year and a half ago and was titled something like "Well, we're about to do it!"

We had a large pool and a large back yard just for the record. And a heater, and a waterfall and a tanning ledge and another place to sit down and a few smaller water features. Oh and it was self cleaning - we didn't go for a robot thingie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 03:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I just had a conversation with someone that lives in the Louisville, KY area last week about the cost of a built-in pool. (I know different area, but a data polnt). They currently have a pool and are looking for a new house. They'd like to have a pool in the new place so got some prices on a basic pool and equipment. I have no idea the type, but the pricing was about $70,000.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:33 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
In SWFL, pool build times were 10-12 weeks pre-pandemic. It’s currently a 6 month time to finish and several builders in our area have stopped giving estimates until they can catch up.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
If you are more concerned about usability than appearance, I suggest you go with a longer narrow pool. Our pool is 40' long (16 x 40, or maybe 18 x 40 I do not recall anymore). That is too short for actual swimming. it is just a splash and play pool. It is still nice to have, but it would have been better to make it longer and narrower.

I highly recommend a salt chlorine generator also a good robot vacuum (about $1000). A pool can be a real PIA and the more simple you make things, the more you will like your pool.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you are more concerned about usability than appearance, I suggest you go with a longer narrow pool. Our pool is 40' long (16 x 40, or maybe 18 x 40 I do not recall anymore). That is too short for actual swimming. it is just a splash and play pool. It is still nice to have, but it would have been better to make it longer and narrower.

I highly recommend a salt chlorine generator also a good robot vacuum (about $1000). A pool can be a real PIA and the more simple you make things, the more you will like your pool.
Amen to all this, especially the last two sentences. (Though I went with a self cleaning pool so didn't have to get a robot - even easier!)

Remember, pool pipes have to be wrapped in the winter time - in fact, pools can be damaged by cold weather or power outages, etc. Ask Texans - LOL. I was fine - my pool wasn't damaged at all but that was because when it was -4 degrees and pitch black outside and the wind was blowing like crazy, I was outside draining my pumps. I also wrapped everything up very tightly and turned everything off at the electrical box when the power went out. Lots and lots of people didn't take these precautions and their pools and/or pumps were significantly damaged - and then they had to wait and wait and wait for parts, labor, etc.

I hate leaves in a pool, so every single morning I skimmed that pool, and often every evening too. Now - I found it relaxing but it was still a chore if that makes sense.

Then there was the weekly maintenance. I just took the water sample in and they told me what to add in addition to the weekly "shock" and chlorine. They actually said I could go every ten to fourteen days and I'd "probably" be fine but hey, I got in that pool every single day and I wanted it RIGHT.

Oh and between the pool and the hot tub and the size of the house (a little over 2600 square feet, so not huge but not small), my electric bill was averaging over $500 in the summertime, and only dropping to about $300 at it's lowest.

I believe the pool added about $200 a month more to my overall expenses, not to mention the daily and weekly maintenance. Oh and the quarterly filter cleaning - I forgot that. Unless you buy another set of filters (not cheap) you'll need to clean the ones you have and put them back in, or pay someone to do it. I actually recommend paying someone but that's just me. The seal on the thingie that holds the filters was difficult for me to get closed well enough afterward. Someone else might have better luck.

I loved that pool. LOVED it. But it was an expense and an ongoing PITA. It was absolutely gorgeous though and worth it I feel like if a person is going to use it regularly. I put a heater in to extend the months I could use it, though I didn't use it during say, November through April. But May through October - YES! So half a year.

One thing that surprised me was that the pump had to run most of the time, at at least 70 percent of power. I believe that really ran my electric bill up.

I've moved and sold that gorgeous house and gorgeous pool, and didn't lose money on the deal but I was lucky I guess. Thank you, Lord. I was glad to get rid of the hassle of the pool, but I do miss getting in it in the warm months.

Just go into it prepared. It's not a small thing to add - it's a very large thing and a very large responsibility.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:40 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

A pool current generator can make any size pool good for swimming. https://swimworldpool.com/endless-pool-swim-spas/

Old 08-13-2021, 03:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I would not build a pool if I did not include a spa attached. That way you can use it 365 days a year.

We used the spa as much as the pool.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:16 PM

306 posts, read 203,337 times
Thanks for all the responses.

Originally I was thinking of having patio and pool at the same time, so the patio could kind of lead into the patio, but we were at a friends house last night and they did theirs separately. They had a nice stone patio with a fire pit at the back of the house, but they did that a couple of years before the pool. They had a small strip of lawn separating the patio and the pool area, and it didn't look out of place at all, so I think we're going to get the patio done first and then come back to the pool in a couple of years.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
What do you have planned for all that lawn? It's great for kids playing, but otherwise, it's an attractive expense.
Seriously, mowing a lawn: Hot and miserable task.

Taking care of a pool...a few minutes a day to check the chemical levels and skim out the debris: much easier.

As far as overall expense and maintenance go, it's probably a tossup.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Originally I was thinking of having patio and pool at the same time, so the patio could kind of lead into the patio, but we were at a friends house last night and they did theirs separately. They had a nice stone patio with a fire pit at the back of the house, but they did that a couple of years before the pool. They had a small strip of lawn separating the patio and the pool area, and it didn't look out of place at all, so I think we're going to get the patio done first and then come back to the pool in a couple of years.
Either way is probably going to be fine.

Just ask yourself though if you are going to actually save any money waiting on the pool. Also ask yourself if your family is going to miss out on the enjoyment of having a pool.

Are you going to add a fire pit? I am now officially a fire pit expert, having had (and had built) several different types over the years.

Are you going to add a pergola? Any other features? A fire place, an outdoor kitchen? Anything like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House