Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 06:36 PM

404 posts, read 428,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bookcase fell?

Earthquake? We had one in Maryland a couple weeks ago that caused minor damage like that. Few even felt it.
Yep! Bookcase fell. It was due to roadwork. Jackhammering and hammering nearby. The vibrations were intense and persistent enough it just toppled the bookcase.

We have had earthquakes in Michigan though about 3 or 4 years ago in the 4 range. I didnt feel those though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Just east of you in Fraser, on 15 Mile, between Utica Rd and Hayes.
I remember seeing the video on the news. The fencing around the house dipped toward the sinkhole. I didnt follow the fate of what happened to the house afterward.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Where in Troy, Michigan is this townhouse located, roughly speaking? Is it near the I-75 freeway?

There's a Rams Horn restaurant in Allen Park, Michigan, right on Southfield Road just north of Allen Road. Whenever a heavily ladened semi went buy, the entire restaurant shook. Rattled all the glassware and shook the tables. Freaked me out the first few times, but the local regulars tended to ignore it.
Ive moved since them. If I say exactly where Ill nearly give my current location away lol. Im in Berkley on one of the major thoroughfares of Metro Detroit now. Yep it's a major street. On a bus stop and lots of trucks daily. Ive considered this may contribute to things.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:14 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
Be glad that you are renting.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:30 AM

23,971 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Ok so this is kinda weird. Im in a townhouse in Michigan. So it has a basement. I have noticed there is a weakspot where it shakes over the basement. I have never been too concerned. I have noticed shaking like this in many buildings in Michigan. I am originally from California where many buildings seem more reinforced due to the earthquakes. Well recently Ive noticed I can feel like a micro swaying upstairs in my bedroom. During the recent thunderstorms with the heavy winds, Ive noticed the swaying is more pronounced. My roommate seems nonplussed over it. I am wondering what to do. It feels like the upper floors of a skyscraper.

Should I worry? Is this all in my head? What course of action should I take? I dont want to alarm the landlord over nothing. Should I talk with neighbors about it? I dont want to overreact but the surfside condo collapse in Florida has me a bit spooked. I know there was a sinkhole back a few years ago in a Detroit suburb in a house.
I would be very worried. Please call an architectural engineer - or if you are renting, call the landlord. This is not normal. You are not in SF, and a swaying house means nothing good there, either.

Best of luck.

And at the risk of sounding like a catch phrase in a low budget horror film - GET OUT!

Old 08-14-2021, 07:34 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would be very worried. Please call an architectural engineer - or if you are renting, call the landlord. This is not normal. You are not in SF, and a swaying house means nothing good there, either.

Best of luck.

And at the risk of sounding like a catch phrase in a low budget horror film - GET OUT!
Yes, I want to reiterate the same thing here ^^^. Vibration and SHAKING are one thing, but SWAYING is another. That is most definitely not normal and not the same thing.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:23 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,372,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I want to reiterate the same thing here ^^^. Vibration and SHAKING are one thing, but SWAYING is another. That is most definitely not normal and not the same thing.
I agree. The only time a house I was living in actually swayed was during the VA earthquake of 2011. The entire house was really moving back and forth in a rolling motion big-time. Fortunately the only damage I had was one wall crack, because it is a well-built old house. However, a fairly young house such as yours should not be swaying on a regular basis. Have you mentioned this issue to the landlord?

Old 08-14-2021, 08:30 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Best of luck.

Yeah. An architect could help a lot more than a building inspector.
I used one once and he sure saved my bacon. We did not buy the house after going through it with him. I knew there was something not right; he pinpointed the problem.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:32 AM

8,392 posts, read 7,354,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Ive moved since them.
So it sounds like problem solved.

If I had to guess, you were originally living by I-75 in Troy, which was undergoing a major rebuild until recently.

Quote:
If I say exactly where Ill nearly give my current location away lol. Im in Berkley on one of the major thoroughfares of Metro Detroit now. Yep it's a major street. On a bus stop and lots of trucks daily. Ive considered this may contribute to things.
Ah, Bzerkley. I live there. I could probably guess where you moved to...but I won't.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:45 AM

10,224 posts, read 6,694,683 times
OP~
I'd say since you have immediate neighbors, to ask them. If they all feel what you feel, then take it to your landlord. If your landlord dismisses it, then to the City.
If none of your neighbors feels what you describe, then it's time to visit a doctor. Balance/vertigo issues appear as "swaying" in early stages. It's best to get this addressed sooner, rather than later.
Since you've felt this, in other places, I'd take a serious look at your own health situation.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House