Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 08:31 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,760,072 times

Advertisements

Obviously a whole house generator would be the best but in lieu of that (and solar panels).

Last year in CT the power company had lost power for about a week. It caused quite a bit of anger. Anyway I'm trying to think of any products that might make any loss easier. To note I have oil heat and electric for hot water. I recently obtained a propane grill just in case. I have rechargeable power packs just in case (phones can for jumping a car). Some solar lights outside (planning on getting more).

What products(s) seem to be the best to mitigate power loss.

1) Refrigeration. What are the best non electric insulated coolers?

2) What would be the best way of cooling down a room without A/C or electric fans? (don't just say a cool breeze)

3) I've heard of light bulbs that are rechargeable but many say it's only five hours of life. Anyone know of any others?

4) What's the most efficient way without power to heat up a room? I don't mean a fireplace either but that's a long term goal for me. I can go old school with blankets and maybe a hot water bottle but how good are rechargeable electric blankets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 12:34 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,369,946 times
Get a generator or parallel two of them, enough watts to run a portable AC/heater and your refrigerator.

You can run an extension cord, or have a manual transfer switch installed.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,602,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Obviously a whole house generator would be ...
It's all about the FREQUENCY and DURATION of these events.
One week out is a real pita... but does that happen often enough to warrant buying ANY fixtures?
Knowing where dry ice is sold is the most that most people/homes will require.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:14 AM

61,341 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Best non-electric coolers won't be cheap:
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/tra.../best-coolers/

Heating a room:
https://theprovidentprepper.org/best...-power-outage/
https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/...-an-emergency/

You should take a look at this forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...-preparedness/

Old 08-13-2021, 06:39 AM

5,805 posts, read 6,861,215 times
Quote:
2) What would be the best way of cooling down a room without A/C or electric fans? (don't just say a cool breeze)
Fans cool people, not rooms. Don't run them if you are not in the room.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:12 AM

10,052 posts, read 6,344,922 times
Quote:
Obviously a whole house generator would be the best but in lieu of that (and solar panels).

Last year in CT the power company had lost power for about a week. It caused quite a bit of anger. Anyway I'm trying to think of any products that might make any loss easier. To note I have oil heat and electric for hot water. I recently obtained a propane grill just in case. I have rechargeable power packs just in case (phones can for jumping a car). Some solar lights outside (planning on getting more).

What products(s) seem to be the best to mitigate power loss.

1) Refrigeration. What are the best non electric insulated coolers?

3) I've heard of light bulbs that are rechargeable but many say it's only five hours of life. Anyone know of any others?

4) What's the most efficient way without power to heat up a room? I don't mean a fireplace either but that's a long term goal for me. I can go old school with blankets and maybe a hot water bottle but how good are rechargeable electric blankets?
Before I bought the whole house generator at my last house, I had propane gas hot water, cooking, and a propane gas fireplace. For summer cooling I used battery-powered fans from WalMart. They were very efficient and I could put them exactly where they were needed. I also had a bunch of battery lanterns on hand. In fact, even though I have a NG whole house generator now, I still have some lanterns - they're very handy for nighttime yard excursions.

If you don't want to do a gas fireplace now i would suggest one of the propane Buddy heaters. I've used the Little Buddy heater at my lakefront property, but the Mr. Heater Big Buddy would probably be better for a house. I also used old fashioned cast iron Barler kerosene heaters as well; they worked fine and didn't smoke either. They're heavier than the tin Perfection heaters, which also work well. However, most people prefer the newer kerosene heaters with tip-over protection.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:45 AM

17,436 posts, read 65,688,503 times
”Best products to mitigate power loss”

It’s not a matter of “what products”; it’s a matter of reducing the need for power.
Look for “prepper” ideas- you’ll find a plethora of lists, ideas, and solutions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House