Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 5,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Neighbors actually used the recommended people to replace WH so I can trust their work. But the prices are crazy 2600 to 4500 is what they tell me after flushing {great pun!} out the details.

There is a 6 ft vent pipe that needs replacement and the plumber wants an extra $700 ... Does that sound reasonable??? The current pipe is PVC and code now requires other material. But that's like plated in gold type of price!
I was a licensed construction supervisor in MA & estimates vary for many reasons; IMO the largest variance reason is for how busy the contractor is at the moment. The price can be jacked up to get you to the front of the line, as most folks want a water heater replaced stat! Also having lived in MA for over 35 years, certain zip codes get charged more i.e. call it the Waban Tax, Dover Tax, Sudbury Tax etc.

About the cost of materials, since Covid many items have gotten crazy expensive. Plus Lowes Depot gets preferred pricing due to the volume they move. Conversely the manufacturer will cut corners where they can to meet price points. Example I purchased an Ariens Compact 24 snow blower from a local dealer & paid $850. The next year my neighbor bout the "same" unit from Home Depot & paid $770. So we compared them side by each. Mine had an Ariens engine, his a Briggs & Stratton. Not sure if that accounted for the whole difference.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 12:16 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalAkaWill View Post
I was a licensed construction supervisor in MA & estimates vary for many reasons; IMO the largest variance reason is for how busy the contractor is at the moment. The price can be jacked up to get you to the front of the line, as most folks want a water heater replaced stat! Also having lived in MA for over 35 years, certain zip codes get charged more i.e. call it the Waban Tax, Dover Tax, Sudbury Tax etc.

About the cost of materials, since Covid many items have gotten crazy expensive. Plus Lowes Depot gets preferred pricing due to the volume they move. Conversely the manufacturer will cut corners where they can to meet price points. Example I purchased an Ariens Compact 24 snow blower from a local dealer & paid $850. The next year my neighbor bout the "same" unit from Home Depot & paid $770. So we compared them side by each. Mine had an Ariens engine, his a Briggs & Stratton. Not sure if that accounted for the whole difference.

Good luck.
Super helpful info. Just talked to a plumber that said the pro units use brass fittings while the store ones use plastic. Plus he can get a Lowes version from his supple house today. I'd have to wait 5 days for a consumer unit. I actually plan to sell the house in about a yr (work related move), so I won't get to see this thing run 10 yrs down the road. Was told my current one (original to house) is a home depot model but it still lasted 16 yrs!

Old 08-16-2021, 01:45 PM

6,418 posts, read 4,913,806 times
I had a power vent in the basement and it made a huge racket every time it went on. I got to the point I would save my HW usage for a few times a day. That was in 2006, so hopefully they are quieter now. I Just replaced my electric HW heater for $950. Lowe's sells AO Smith which is an excellent brand for around 1300 and I believe they charge around 350 for install. 2600 seems expensive. Lowe's guarantees their install so I see no downside.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:06 PM

15 posts, read 8,216 times
I also had my WH replaced via Lowe's. I do not remember the price of the WH, but the installation was $400, including a $100 surcharge for working on a holiday weekend. Also, Lowe's took care of the permitting which was another $45.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Just install it yourself. It's not that hard.
that is what we did some years ago -

But we were younger then - and I dread the next time it goes out.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Just talked to a plumber that said the pro units use brass fittings while the store ones use plastic. Plus he can get a Lowes version from his supple house today. I'd have to wait 5 days for a consumer unit. I actually plan to sell the house in about a yr (work related move), so I won't get to see this thing run 10 yrs down the road. Was told my current one (original to house) is a home depot model but it still lasted 16 yrs!
All is why neighbor who had built new house got a standard 30 gallon electric water heater. So easy to replace when time comes and much less money.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:22 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalAkaWill View Post
Yeah, I remember the Lexington Tax. Unfortunately, you can't tell the plumber your house is in Billerica.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:27 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Thanks. Super helpful!!! Same here... the local stores don't have it in stock plus that particular model - 50 Gal Short - can't be shipped to store either. But I've lived w no WH for 2 days, I can wait longer.

Now I've lined up a plumber who will do the installation for $500. Will buy WH from Lowes for $1350. Total $1850. The lowest priced local plumber would be $2650 so I'm saving a ton.
We had the same situation few months ago. The Home Depot associated company wanted at least $3k for unit and install. Wife found someone on thumbtack in the $1,500-$1,800 total range for same HD 75 gallon heater. Plus they took the old one.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:12 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I was at an HD recently and saw a decent 40 gal gas water heater with a 10 yr warranty for $495 and a quoted price of $450 for an install. 50 gallon water heater was $100 more, same install price of $450.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yeah, I remember the Lexington Tax. Unfortunately, you can't tell the plumber your house is in Billerica.
I used to live in a big house on an acre in Winchester. Trade people would double their price driving up my driveway.

My input on this is that quality water heaters come from plumbing supply stores, not Home Depot and Lowe’s. I use State stuff. No plastic valves. Much better tank. Also, replace the anode and flush it every few years and it will last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House