Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 03:38 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to live in a big house on an acre in Winchester. Trade people would double their price driving up my driveway.

My input on this is that quality water heaters come from plumbing supply stores, not Home Depot and Lowe’s. I use State stuff. No plastic valves. Much better tank. Also, replace the anode and flush it every few years and it will last 20 years.
I plan to ask the plumber to show me how to replace the anode rod. My WH was already many yrs old when I moved in so I didnt bother flushing it. Since people say by then just leave it bc iy may just start leaking by messing w it. I got 16 yrs out of it so consider myself lucky. I'll definitely flush the new one.

I don't live in a plush town - definitely not the W ones - hope i don't get the premium pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 03:51 AM

Great info. Thanks everyone. I saw Lowes had the WH I need in 1 store 30 mins from me, in stock for pickup. $1250 w tax. No other store has it so I snatched it. Then half a day later order status became DELAYED. Plus now showing Sept 20 online for all the stores in my area which who knows will be delayed some more. That's a long time to babysit the leaking one.

I think I'm stuck w a local plumber who can get one from his supply store and install it plus remove the old for $2300. That's the lowest out of 8+ plumbers. Just for gigs... the highest bid was $5000!

Good to know the Lowes installation is around $450 and guaranteed by Lowes. What's weird though ... I signed up for the Lowes Installation on the website. Got a call from their call center. They asked if I bought the WH already... said No. Then gave me a quote for $2675 for the install plus WH. Not that much cheaper than the average quotes I got.

Last edited by mmyk72; 08-17-2021 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 8,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Great info. Thanks everyone. I saw Lowes had the WH I need in 1 store 30 mins from me, in stock for pickup. $1250 w tax. No other store has it so I snatched it. Then half a day later order status became DELAYED. Plus now showing Sept 20 online for all the stores in my area which who knows will be delayed some more. That's a long time to babysit the leaking one.

I think I'm stuck w a local plumber who can get one from his supply store and install it plus remove the old for $2300. That's the lowest out of 8+ plumbers. Just for gigs... the highest bid was $5000!

Good to know the Lowes installation is around $450 and guaranteed by Lowes. What's weird though ... I signed up for the Lowes Installation on the website. Got a call from their call center. They asked if I bought the WH already... said No. Then gave me a quote for $2675 for the install plus WH. Not that much cheaper than the average quotes I got.

One thing I have learned about when dealing with Lowes. Never use their 1-800 number for emergency quotes and work. If you really need something quick, go to your local store and talk to the employees/managers there. They have always done right by me by trying to get me what I want when I want it. They even told me not to use their 1-800 number and just to come in. Good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLompoc View Post
One thing I have learned about when dealing with Lowes. Never use their 1-800 number for emergency quotes and work. If you really need something quick, go to your local store and talk to the employees/managers there. They have always done right by me by trying to get me what I want when I want it. They even told me not to use their 1-800 number and just to come in. Good luck to you.
Really appreciate you sharing that. Wish I knew. Now even the Truck delivery option is Sept 20 (it showed end of this week yesterday for Truck but I got the store pickup option not knowing it was going to get delayed). which means Lowes doesn't even have it anywhere. Weary that if I waited 1 month, then it'll be another and so on. Looks like Lowes would have been the cheapest [$1250 + $500 install] but I will have to pay more for the local plumber who can (hopefully) source one immediately from their supply store.

Last edited by mmyk72; 08-17-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 10:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
”Advice Needed...My 1st Water Heater Replacement”

It won’t be your last!
I’m 100% sure-

Old 08-17-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
”Advice Needed...My 1st Water Heater Replacement”

It won’t be your last!
I’m 100% sure-
I know... as always the first is ALWAYS the most painful or scary or both:
* First scratch on a brand new car
* First car accident
* First flat tire when you have no roadside service
* First time getting pulled over by police
* First time something you really like or value gets stolen

Old 08-17-2021, 01:20 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Bought a new house 21 years ago..........same gas water heater is still there. Neighbor across the street is on their 4th one. Someone screwed them years ago and swapped the gas one for electric. Leaks/stop working/replaced about every 5 years.

Mine is original, I had to relight the pilot about 5 years ago when the neighborhood had the gas line shut off due to a leak. I think I'm going tankless when it breaks.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
I know... as always the first is ALWAYS the most painful or scary or both:
* First scratch on a brand new car
* First car accident
* First flat tire when you have no roadside service
* First time getting pulled over by police
* First time something you really like or value gets stolen
I think the deal you got sounds about right. The Lowes/HD prices always creep up a little after all is said and done- every little extra costs a lot. I had a gas water heater replaced and it was a couple hundred extra for little bits. So $2300 all-in from a regular plumber vs what would have been approximately $2k from a big box isn't bad.

I usually favor the big box stores but have had similar experiences to yours- if they can't get it, I at least try to get someone who isn't much more. Especially with something as simple as a water heater- it's either in and it works, or not. A bad install will be immediately visible in the form of leaking etc.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:

Just curious, did they include an “expansion tank”? Do you have one now? If not, it will be a requirement. If so, now’s a good time to replace the old one- they don’t last forever!

Old 08-19-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just curious, did they include an “expansion tank”? Do you have one now? If not, it will be a requirement. If so, now’s a good time to replace the old one- they don’t last forever!
There's no expansion tank currently. There's a 99.9% chance I'll have to move next yr. So I'm going to try to put in what's essential only so as to keep cost down. Will keep that in mind on my next house. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House