Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:07 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I think the deal you got sounds about right. The Lowes/HD prices always creep up a little after all is said and done- every little extra costs a lot. I had a gas water heater replaced and it was a couple hundred extra for little bits. So $2300 all-in from a regular plumber vs what would have been approximately $2k from a big box isn't bad.

I usually favor the big box stores but have had similar experiences to yours- if they can't get it, I at least try to get someone who isn't much more. Especially with something as simple as a water heater- it's either in and it works, or not. A bad install will be immediately visible in the form of leaking etc.
Awesome. Thanks for this. I agree that it either works immediately or will see leaks right away. I heard the Lowe's AO Smith brand is a good product so taking my chances that once it works after installing, it should be good for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 02:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just curious, did they include an “expansion tank”? Do you have one now? If not, it will be a requirement. If so, now’s a good time to replace the old one- they don’t last forever!
When I had my water heater replaced, the expansion tank was only required if there was a check valve on the main feed line coming in from the street. The theory is that, without a check valve, the entire municipal plumbing system is your expansion tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House