Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 11:47 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Karen please take a deep breath. Have glass ow wine or a bowl of ice cream.
2022 is still a couple of days away. Your neighbors were kind enough to let you know about the unwanted guest who apparently did not enjoy his stay and left before introducing himself.

Look at the humor of it - you had a porch pirate? That is great - I had a turkey wanna be room mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 12:53 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Karen, Here's a suggestion --- Buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/EACILLES-Dete.../dp/B07S2YC7GK

You can also buy them from "Wild Birds Unlimited" if you have a store nearby.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Karen orders a shot of Wild Turkey....

Sorry ma’am, we don’t have Wild Turkey, only a House bourbon? What can I get you?

I’ll have a shot of Wild Turkey

I’m so sorry ma’am, we just ran out, how about a Jack Daniels

I’ll have a shot of Wild Turkey

Okay ma’am, if you can spell Wild Turkey, I’ll get you a shot

Now, Karen is a professor so this is quite easy for her: W-I-L-D T-U-R-K-E-Y, Wild Turkey

Ma’am, you forgot the F

There’s no F in Wild Turkey

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. And, there’s no F’n Wild Turkey in the upstairs closet either.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:38 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I've had lots of birds fly into windows, but never a turkey, and no broken glass.
A few birds broke their necks, some were stunned, most flew off unharmed. My cats would race outside to see if easy prey was available.

I think the glass reflects the sky, so they don't expect to crash. Decals or cutouts on the outside of the window will probably prevent future crashes. They've reduced events at my house, but the cats keep tearing them off...

Old 08-23-2021, 06:43 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
I'd check the local kids for the errant baseball. Turkeys generally don't fly that high in neighborhoods, and as soft as they are with feathers, it is hard to imagine that the bird broke through two layers of windows...and left no feathers, nor blood? Neighbor is the mom of a younger child, and child is the perpetrator of the Turkey Story ?

Hmmmm.....

Even if you found it, you don't want to eat it. They are disgustingly tough and gamey. Awful from what i have been told.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:30 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
You never found the injured turkey in the yard? I've also never heard of them flying that high.

As I was reading your tale I really expected that big injured bird to be upstairs in your house, especially since the glass actually broke!

Old 08-23-2021, 07:50 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Holy crap!! Well that beats the ants I found getting in the back storm door this morning!

Maybe an iron grill over that window!

Old 08-23-2021, 09:23 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
High impact glass or plexiglass replacement storm window.

I'm wondering what the chances are of a neighbor seeing a wild turkey fly into a second story window. They (wild turkeys, not neighbors) are normally low fliers. Is your neighbor by any chance Dennis the Menace and likes to play softball?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I'd check the local kids for the errant baseball. Turkeys generally don't fly that high in neighborhoods, and as soft as they are with feathers, it is hard to imagine that the bird broke through two layers of windows...and left no feathers, nor blood? Neighbor is the mom of a younger child, and child is the perpetrator of the Turkey Story ?

Hmmmm.....

Even if you found it, you don't want to eat it. They are disgustingly tough and gamey. Awful from what i have been told.
Good question and good analysis.

I was thinking it was not a wild turkey too. But I hate to have a bad thought about the neighbour, so I did not want to say anything at the beginning. Could it be a kid who related to that neighbour did that, and she had to cover up for that kid? Or she saw something else (a burglar), but she did not want to get involved with the investigation, but maybe she has a good heart to let the OP know about the broken window, and she made it up as a wild turkey. A strange situation.

I wish the OP had called the police. I did not see she mentioned this though. If she wants to claim the insurance, she must have a police report.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:42 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I can only imagine what your cats would have done if a turkey had been flapping around in that closet!

I'm sorry about your window, but ... damn, this is hilarious!

Seriously, though ... I don't know how to prevent something so random from happening. The odds of a turkey flying into a window and leaving no trace other than the broken glass happening just once are astronomical l to begin with; the odds of it happening again are waaaay out there.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:20 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Again: neighbor is a 50-something woman. No kids with baseballs (when kids play ball, it's on what we call the common, which is a big plot of land a block from my house with lots of OTHER houses in between it and my house).

And again: there was NO BALL (or brick or anything else like that) in the closet, and of course there would have been if it had been an errant ball (or whatever).

(Please see post #10, where I already answered these things.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You never found the injured turkey in the yard? I've also never heard of them flying that high.
Again: I've seen one high in a tree in my side yard, so they DO fly that high. (See post #10.) I've seen a couple of nests high in trees as well.

No injured or dead turkey in my front yard (the window he flew into is on the 2nd floor directly in line with my front door on the 1st floor). My back yard is very large and I haven't been back there, but it appears the turkey was able to fly away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
As I was reading your tale I really expected that big injured bird to be upstairs in your house, especially since the glass actually broke!
No injured turkey in the house. I expect the fact that there were 2 "layers" of windows kept it from getting into the house; the storm window was completely shattered but only one ~8"x11" pane of the interior window was broken (bottom right, looking from inside the house).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Good question and good analysis.

I was thinking it was not a wild turkey too. But I hate to have a bad thought about the neighbour, so I did not want to say anything at the beginning. Could it be a kid who related to that neighbour did that, and she had to cover up for that kid? Or she saw something else (a burglar), but she did not want to get involved with the investigation, but maybe she has a good heart to let the OP know about the broken window, and she made it up as a wild turkey. A strange situation.
Please see post #10 and what I wrote to other posters in this post. (And a burglar would need a ladder to get up to that window! A ladder in my front yard right in front of my front door, with him sneaking up it ... in daylight. I don't think so. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I wish the OP had called the police. I did not see she mentioned this though. If she wants to claim the insurance, she must have a police report.
Call the police? What could they have done? No police report needed since, as I already wrote, I will not be putting in an insurance claim (it doesn't make sense with the level of damage). See post #10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can only imagine what your cats would have done if a turkey had been flapping around in that closet!

I'm sorry about your window, but ... damn, this is hilarious!

Seriously, though ... I don't know how to prevent something so random from happening. The odds of a turkey flying into a window and leaving no trace other than the broken glass happening just once are astronomical l to begin with; the odds of it happening again are waaaay out there.
You know, after I stopped panicking, I realized exactly the same thing. I've lived here 9-1/2 years and have never had a REGULAR BIRD fly into one of my windows (and this house has a LOT of windows!), never mind a turkey! So I think I will just have my contractors fix the window and I will get on with my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House