Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 09:47 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times

Advertisements

I like the type of structure in the picture. I hope to know how each part is build -- for example:

-- How are the glass panes connected to the cement foundation and the beams (wood or in some cases metal)?
-- What is the structure of that flat roof?
-- Does this structure cost more or less per sqft than the traditional stick-built house with windows?

Anyone has info on these?

If I were to search for youtube videos on constructing this type of structure and the flat roof, are there any special names I should be searching for? Thank you.
Is there a special name for a home structure with big glass windows and flat roof?-roof.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 10:22 AM

215 posts, read 189,990 times
Vestibule?

Old 08-23-2021, 10:46 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Some would call it MCM (Mid-century Modern), others would call it “International Style”.

Whatever you want to call it, it’s a modern/contemporary style.
Search for the “Farnsworth House”; it’s by renowned architect Mies Van der Rohe.

The construction, in the most simple terms, would be like commercial “shell” construction- “walls” are supported by structural posts, and the roof is supported by the exterior walls (though there maybe some interior supports- they are minimal to allow as much flow/openness to the interior space. The glass panels that create the exterior walls are mounted in channel designed for such applications- nothing different from a typical retailer’s store front.

The roof itself would probably be a standard type buildup roof with either a “hot mop”&gravel aggregate, or a TPM membrane type roof. The structural part could be any number of materials depending on span and number or types of supports.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:35 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Also look up "Eichler" houses.

There are liabilities to this type of house (although I rather like the aesthetic). There may be more susceptibility to roof problems, especially in areas with snow. And heating/ air conditioning might be more expensive.

As far as cost is concerned- nothing will be cheaper than a plain old ordinary stick-built house with a rectangular layout and not too many windows.

BTW the photo looks like a newer, MCM-inspired house.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:55 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
Thank you all. I would never think of those names in a million years....

Old 08-24-2021, 11:26 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
International Style/Bauhaus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House