Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:40 AM

36 posts, read 33,625 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, what are the best kitchen appliances you have used for your house. Iam looking to by refrigerator, oven, microwave oven and dishwasher.

Any feedback on cooking range versus cooking top ?

Also, any feedback kn Miele appliances and the ease of repair in the United States. How good is the customer care ?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 08:53 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
For refrigerator get one with a door water/ice dispenser and a built in water filter. Our city water has a taste that even our dog won’t drink unless extremely thirsty. She will drink the water from the refrigerator door dispenser. We have a gas stove. If we could afford to remodel the house we would have a separate stove top and oven with the oven in the wall at a height good for my wife (4 feet 10 inches and has had 3 spinal surgeries but still likes to cook). A wall mounted oven is easier to move cookware in and out the oven. If electric my sister recommends induction stove top. It gave her a good excuse to buy all new cookware since not all cookware will work on an induction surface.

I suggest you consider a good quality toaster oven. There are times one of us wants chicken nuggets with French fries, fish sticks/fillets, or some other single serving food that taste better from the oven instead of microwave. Instead of turning on the big oven for a single serving cooking, use the toaster oven. We also use it to toast garlic bread when we have spaghetti. Baked frozen French fries are a nice side for homemade burgers. It’s also good for reheating certain leftover food. Takes longer than microwave but doesn’t leave the food soggy or unevenly heated.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 33,625 times
Thank you for your quick response.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
I would recommend a refrigerator without in door water and ice dispensers. These are the most frequent causes of repair services. Think about it - if you have a French door refrigerator, the ice maker is actually in the refrigerator section, not the freezer. Does that make sense?

Keep the ice maker in the freezer and get a "Brita" type water pitcher for the refrigerator. Cheaper and easier.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:19 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
1. I am a Sub-Zero bigot. Had one for 24 years in previous house. Now have had one in current house for 4 years. We are just 2 people and find the 30-inch model to have plenty of storage space.
2. We also have a Sub-Zero wine fridge. Very nice. 46 bottles of wine at the perfect temperature.
3. We have a Wolf gas cooktop. the large center burner is powerful enough for woking at our 5300 foot altitude. I would have induction, but the additional electrical wiring was going to be over $2000.
4. We have a Miele speed oven. Excellent.
5. We have a Miele convection oven. Both ovens are 24-inches wide and that is just right for us. We had warranty service and it was excellent.
6. All our cabinet hardware is Blum. LEGRABOX for the drawers. Amazing. All drawers in the lower cabinets. The pulls are from IKEA.
7. Dishwasher is Miele. Quieter than our Bosch.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:29 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I would recommend a refrigerator without in door water and ice dispensers. These are the most frequent causes of repair services. Think about it - if you have a French door refrigerator, the ice maker is actually in the refrigerator section, not the freezer. Does that make sense?

Keep the ice maker in the freezer and get a "Brita" type water pitcher for the refrigerator. Cheaper and easier.
We had Brita pitcher. Worked well in our previous home on a different water system. At this home the water still tasted bad. We switched to a higher grade water filter pitcher but it took so long to filter through that we gave up. The higher filtration needs water pressure to flow through at a decent rate. I do mechanical work and understand your point about the ice maker/dispenser and agree. I would prefer an ice maker in the freezer in which you manually pulled out the ice you needed from the bucket and an in door water dispenser through the same filter used for ice. I’ve tried the faucet mounted filter but it lowered the faucet opening making it more difficult to rinse larger pots clean. We now have a kitchen sink in which the faucet nozzle is also the hose sprayer so we can’t install a faucet mounted filter.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:16 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:

Have to agree with this. I have had a couple of fridges with water/ice dispensers in the doors and detested them. The filter either needs replacing, the lines get funky, one or the other mechanism needs repair, splash/dripping from the dispenser makes a mess on the floor, water or ice tastes bad, on and on. The ice bin in the freezer takes up a huge amount of space that could be used to store food. I'd much rather keep one or two small flat ice trays in the freezer and a jug of chilled water (that I can control the filtering of) in the fridge side myself. Granted, I've never gone through much if any ice on a daily basis so the ice in the freezer bins on those fridges sat there so long it was usually frozen solid. Thawing it out so the mechanism would function meant all that melt water ended up wasted down the drain.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:45 AM

539 posts, read 241,090 times
My beef is the smooth top stove that thing does not cook right and you have to clean it all the time . Now dont get me wrong I love to clean and keep things neat . But everytime after you cook on it you have to clean it . I wonder if this is why some manufacturers are no longer going to be making the smooth top stoves ? Im going to have a gas stove in my retirement home because I love gas easier and cleaner and you can still cook when electricity goes out . I would not recommend a smooth top stove .

Old 08-29-2021, 09:11 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califbeach View Post
Hi everyone, what are the best kitchen appliances you have used for your house. Iam looking to by refrigerator, oven, microwave oven and dishwasher.

Any feedback on cooking range versus cooking top ?

Also, any feedback kn Miele appliances and the ease of repair in the United States. How good is the customer care ?

TIA

Let’s get to the brass tacks-
Is this a brand question; or a type question?

Old 08-29-2021, 09:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:

Knock wood, I've never had an in-fridge ice maker or water dispenser die. They've been in the freezer of all of my french door units (three now).

For function, I've got nothing but good things to say about LG. But all four of my LG kitchen appliances have a cosmetic quality control issue. None significant enough to warrant return/replacement, but irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House