Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2021, 10:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

I had a thread awhile back on my mysterious exterior lighting problems and it still has not been resolved...Its basically 4 lights aimed at the front of the house, controlled by a Tork timer, wired into the house, (the type with the geared wheel timer device)...right now the lights stay on 24/7, a couple weeks ago I found the gear wheel on the timer was completely broken off its mount, I tried to epoxy it but it didnt work.

Ive spoken to Tork about this thru emails and phone calls, Ive had 2 electricians to look at it, one could not figure it out and the other thought it was loose wires (to the individual lights), well, he checked all the connections and the timer/lights worked for a few days and then problems started once again, I checked the connections and they were all good and tight still.

Im really at a loss, Im currently looking at different types of timers, deciding which one I should try next.

In my opinion, it really seems like someone is tampering with the lights or timer, (but that is not likely considering our location, there are no kids or teens nearby and we have a Ring doorbell, that would catch anyone coming into the area where the lights/timer are at. I just cannot think of any other cause for these problems!

The timer is mounted on the exterior of the house, but its in an enclosed box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 11:34 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I had a thread awhile back on my mysterious exterior lighting problems and it still has not been resolved...Its basically 4 lights aimed at the front of the house, controlled by a Tork timer, wired into the house, (the type with the geared wheel timer device)...right now the lights stay on 24/7, a couple weeks ago I found the gear wheel on the timer was completely broken off its mount, I tried to epoxy it but it didnt work.

Ive spoken to Tork about this thru emails and phone calls, Ive had 2 electricians to look at it, one could not figure it out and the other thought it was loose wires (to the individual lights), well, he checked all the connections and the timer/lights worked for a few days and then problems started once again, I checked the connections and they were all good and tight still.

Im really at a loss, Im currently looking at different types of timers, deciding which one I should try next.

In my opinion, it really seems like someone is tampering with the lights or timer, (but that is not likely considering our location, there are no kids or teens nearby and we have a Ring doorbell, that would catch anyone coming into the area where the lights/timer are at. I just cannot think of any other cause for these problems!

The timer is mounted on the exterior of the house, but its in an enclosed box.
Is the Tork timer weatherproof since many of them are not?

Do a search and you will easily find the 5 best exterior timers for landscape lighting. I’ve bought several over the years, one of which was in a stainless steel enclosure and I’ve never had a problem with any of them.

Old 08-28-2021, 01:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I would just go get a low voltage transformer (assuming you are running low voltage lights which are standard) from Home Depot, like from Hampton Bay, and use it, and skip all the wired to the house stuff, just plug this thing in.

I run two of them, they sit outside through the rain and heat of Florida for years now with no issues.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Is the Tork timer weatherproof since many of them are not?

Do a search and you will easily find the 5 best exterior timers for landscape lighting. I’ve bought several over the years, one of which was in a stainless steel enclosure and I’ve never had a problem with any of them.
Its in a plastic box that is mounted to the concrete foundation wall, the box sits about 5ft up from the ground, the door is always kept closed as well.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I would just go get a low voltage transformer (assuming you are running low voltage lights which are standard) from Home Depot, like from Hampton Bay, and use it, and skip all the wired to the house stuff, just plug this thing in.

I run two of them, they sit outside through the rain and heat of Florida for years now with no issues.
These 4 lights are standard 120v

Old 08-29-2021, 05:24 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its in a plastic box that is mounted to the concrete foundation wall, the box sits about 5ft up from the ground, the door is always kept closed as well.
Depending on the quality of the timer moisture might be causing it to fail prematurely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House