Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 05:48 AM

6,500 posts, read 4,907,795 times

Advertisements

Usually weekly. I have 2 sets for each of us (I get two, one is for my hair as I hate trying to dry off with wet hair dripping down my back).

If it's humid or I've had multiple days with more than one shower, I'll do it more often. (I went on vacation south one year and the towels NEVER dried even with AC on, I'd probably do every other day if not daily then)

Hand towels also weekly, face cloths get used once and put in the hamper when dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 06:01 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
You are killing me with this!!

OK, I am going to try this also, and report back (yes, I know, I know, I have no life).
I do have towels to wash this weekend. I only line dry, so, I will use the vinegar and see if I notice any difference also.

How much vinegar do I use, and when do I put it in?
I use Tide liquid detergent and warm water

It is like a "taste test" only with towels, maybe a "feel test", how do the towels feel?...
My towels feel like they've been line dried - they are stiff. I used a cup of vinegar, which is what was recommended to me.

I used Arm and Hammer detergent and warm water also.

I had towels to wash so it wasn't a big deal to me either! Also, I line dry a lot of things already, just not towels and a few other things that I prefer to be soft and fluffy. LOL

Oh, another point - I have those wool balls that I put in the dryer (three) which are the natural equivalent of a fabric sheet or some sort of fabric softener I believe. So of course when I line dried the towels, they didn't get pummeled by the wool balls. I love those things though!

Let us know!

Old 09-04-2021, 06:06 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're supposed to have pandemic vinegar.
Speaking of which...

I used the last of my vinegar in my laundry the day before yesterday. Then yesterday I was going to make some coleslaw which called for vinegar. I needed to go to the grocery store so I went - and needing to replace my vinegar, I searched high and low for some. NONE WAS TO BE FOUND except for some specialty types of vinegar. I just wanted plain white vinegar. NO DEAL. COMPLETELY MISSING. I even went through the whole store three times looking for it.

I finally gave up and came home and I had to make the coleslaw so I made it with balsamic vinegar and now it looks slightly brown. But it tastes great!

Not gonna use the expensive and brown balsamic vinegar in the wash though.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:33 AM

32,844 posts, read 36,146,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking of which...

I used the last of my vinegar in my laundry the day before yesterday. Then yesterday I was going to make some coleslaw which called for vinegar. I needed to go to the grocery store so I went - and needing to replace my vinegar, I searched high and low for some. NONE WAS TO BE FOUND except for some specialty types of vinegar. I just wanted plain white vinegar. NO DEAL. COMPLETELY MISSING. I even went through the whole store three times looking for it.

I finally gave up and came home and I had to make the coleslaw so I made it with balsamic vinegar and now it looks slightly brown. But it tastes great!

Not gonna use the expensive and brown balsamic vinegar in the wash though.
I used the last of my white vinegar when I cleaned the coffee maker about a week ago. Two days later I discovered that I was almost out of cider vinegar. I don't have red or white wine vinegar, either. This just wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:15 AM

14,259 posts, read 11,568,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodfamilyMart View Post
I have 50 towels. Including beach towels that I use at home. I shower 3 times a day, and I always use a fresh towel. On Sunday morning I get them all in the washing machine.
Now that is one BIG washing machine!!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:17 AM

14,259 posts, read 11,568,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, another point - I have those wool balls that I put in the dryer (three) which are the natural equivalent of a fabric sheet or some sort of fabric softener I believe. So of course when I line dried the towels, they didn't get pummeled by the wool balls. I love those things though!
We use tennis balls for that. They work great!

Old 09-04-2021, 10:28 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
I use three wool balls in my dryer too.

For the two of us, I have four bath towels. Honestly, I wash them frequently, throwing a used one in a load of other stuff, usually. I seldom wash an entire load of towels. There is only the two of us, after all.

The towels I really like to keep fresh are the hand towels. I wish I had bought a couple extra of those, frankly.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,941,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Every time or rarely every other time I use one. You may be "clean," but unless a slave uses a strigil and sand to further exfoliate you, you will leave enough skin cells to create a problem.

(hint - buy more than one or two bath towels. It won't break the bank.)

Lol I have enough bath towels (hand towels and washcloths) for a small island nation. I change all the towels and washcloths every two days. I use only white towels so washing is a breeze. I have about 50 white bar towels for my kitchen and they’re changed daily.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,941,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
You are killing me with this!!

OK, I am going to try this also, and report back (yes, I know, I know, I have no life).
I do have towels to wash this weekend. I only line dry, so, I will use the vinegar and see if I notice any difference also.

How much vinegar do I use, and when do I put it in?
I use Tide liquid detergent and warm water

It is like a "taste test" only with towels, maybe a "feel test", how do the towels feel?...
You use plain white vinegar(one cup) in the rinse cycle.. never the wash cycle unless your soaking stinky towels in baking soda and vinegar (one large bottle). When you soak towel with vinegar and baking soda you do a long cycle and then re wash as normal.

Vinegar is great in a downy ball.. I like dry and my towels aren’t stiff but we get really nice sea breezes so the towels are constantly moving

Old 09-04-2021, 10:53 AM

6,500 posts, read 4,907,795 times
Honestly I feel that slightly crunchy (aka sun dried) towels absorb better.

I once stayed at a hotel where the towels were weirdly super soft and slimy. Don't know if it was fabric softener or material or what, but it felt gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House