Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 08:38 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenhouseZ View Post
We use fresh towels everyday. We have a good amount of towels and they're all white, so I don't have to be especially careful when washing them. As a kid, my mom insisted I use the same towel several days in a row. I still remember the sandpaper crunchy feel of the towel as I dried my body with the same towel on day 3. No thanks! Fresh towels in my house for every shower, drying the face, kitchen use, etc.
I've heard this kind of thing before and honestly don't understand it at all. I hang up my bath towel, and when it's dry, it feels soft. Other people say theirs are "crunchy." Is it the type of towel or the way it's hung up or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 08:50 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrixStyle View Post
How often do you wash your bath towels?
Never. I have a wife.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
On the average, I wash the bath towels once a week. After I take a shower the towel is immediately hung up to dry and it dries fast. The air in here is pretty dry all summer due to a/c and dry in winter because winter air is dry.

I buy high quality towels and I have an entire linen closet full. With so many towels, they don't get worn out very fast. Because I always used to line dry them, I'm still using some towels from 1990! (Others started to get thin and have been demoted to more lowly uses--like for the Dog or to soak up messes.

Washcloths--wash every few days. Small face towel becomes a hand towel after a few days and is replaced with a clean face towel.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:33 PM

204 posts, read 128,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've heard this kind of thing before and honestly don't understand it at all. I hang up my bath towel, and when it's dry, it feels soft. Other people say theirs are "crunchy." Is it the type of towel or the way it's hung up or what?
I honestly don't know, but I remember it like it was yesterday (56 now). The first couple of days, the towel was nice and soft, day 3 it dried like a big sheet of sandpaper. It made an impression and I vowed never to do that to my kids.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 PM

204 posts, read 128,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It appears there is a scientific explanation for this 'phenomenon'. https://insidescience.org/news/why-t...-dry-them-line

Old 08-30-2021, 10:09 PM

84 posts, read 61,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Never. I have a wife.
Ha!

Wow - some of you use fresh towels everyday? As in, you only dry off once, and then it goes in the wash? Wow.

Yes, the towels need to be hung properly to dry. I have left towels for a month w/o washing, and have never experienced any "crunchiness", nor any odor.

Thx for the replies - keep 'em comin'!

Old 08-30-2021, 10:54 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times

To everyone that said they reuse towels after a shower, nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGT__4uYwlE

The next time you dry off after a shower, think about the last thing you dry before reusing a towel.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:00 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
That last thing has been well cleansed in the shower.

I've quit using bath towels and just use a hand towel at home. If I am at the gym I use a bath towel. A fresh towel every time at the gym. Every other day at home.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I use a corner of the towel for the last thing I dry. I also don't use the bath towel on my face. My legs, arms, trunk, they're pretty clean after a shower and anyway it's clean enough for me.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Mine walk themselves to the washing machine when they get nasty enough. LOL. We’re a mile from the beach. Beach towels with salt water, I wash immediately. Bath towels a lot less frequently. I’m clean when I use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House