Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 10:02 PM

354 posts, read 775,585 times

Advertisements

Hi - I live in New York and we're having a crazy storm now, with flooding everywhere. I noticed a bad sound coming from my sump pump. Video below. The crazy thing, is that this is the sound that is coming out of it when OFF. In other words, when the pump kicks in, the noise stops. When the pump stops running, the noise starts up.

The thing that really has me perplexed is that this noise continues even if I unplug the pump. I assume this is not a good noise, but does this mean failure could be imminent? What could be causing this noise and why does it continue even after unplugging the pump? Needless to say I am going to have it looked at asap, but I'm curious what this is and how bad it could be. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYoKzHoZIvw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 10:46 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The loud banging noise you hear when the sump pump turns on or off is caused by the check valve. ... This in turn shuts the check valve, preventing it from flowing back into the pump. The loud banging noise is caused by the sudden change in pressure inside the pump and its hoses.
You probably need to install a quiet check valve.
https://soundproofcentral.com/stop-s...banging-noise/

Old 09-01-2021, 10:48 PM

Thanks - I actually saw that site already. It sounds like it's talking about a one time bang when it shuts off
This is like a continuous banging. I haven't heard it do this before.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Thanks - I actually saw that site already. It sounds like it's talking about a one time bang when it shuts off
This is like a continuous banging. I haven't heard it do this before.
I had this problem and asked a plumber about it. He said the system looked fine, but if it is working hard, the system may start to shake/bang. In my case, when it stopped having to work so hard, the system stopped shaking.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:30 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Try changing out the check valve anyway. It sounds like the valve is opening and closing quickly with the water coming back down and the spring trying to push it back.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:33 AM

Thanks everyone. Yeah I have to call someone, but it will probably be a few days or longer before someone can come look. I was just worried that the pump was about to fail and in that case my basement would be completely full of water. It made it through the night, but still making the same noise.

I definitely think its something physical, like the weight of the water pushing back on the valve, like what robr2 was describing. Since it still makes the noise when unplugged, it must be something like this.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:15 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It is definitely chattering; but chattering from a single source extinguishes over time. Is/are there other pumps that feed into that drain line? Does the chatter go on for more than ten seconds?

In addition to replacing the valve, I would verify the float level in the sump is set properly, and I might change the pipe configuration to have the pump feed into a straight capped pipe with a side connection about a foot down from the top. The trapped air in the vertical section would then at least minimize the hammering damage if it couldn't be eliminated.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would say that there is no problem with the pump, but there is a lot of pressure on the backflow valve with a lot of water from the flooding. I am confident that it will stop once the floods subside, but would still prefer to have someone check it, since there could be debris keeping it from closing completely. That will cause water to come back in and be pumped out repeatedly, and run up your electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House