Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 09:10 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,191 times

Advertisements

OK, I know it's notmy cul-de-sac, but my house is on it, and people really have no reason to keep driving in and circling around it unless they live here or are visiting, or picking someone up/dropping them off. It's like we're being stalked. Today, this happened over ten times, although it looks like it was the same car on a couple of these drive-bys. They mostly just drive in, circle around, and drive out without stopping.

Why would they be doing this? It's not like any of these houses are for sale, and prospective buyers would be driving by to check out the neighborhood. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

In case it matters, this is in Oregon and we live in a manufacture home community. We own the house free and clear, but have to pay rent for the space.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,670 times
I did that last week in Indianapolis. I missed my turn (poorly marked) and thought I could go around the block to the other street. There was no "NO OUTLET" sign.

Maybe someone put the wrong address in an ad or it was misprinted.

Is someone having a garage sale? The look, but don't see anything they want.

Is something visible beyond the cul-de-sac? (I saw a story years ago about whale watchers doing that.)

Has someone hit and knocked down the "NO OUTLET" sign?

Old 09-10-2021, 09:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
I think more and more people no longer back up and turn around in driveways - just like the delivery trucks never go into "reverse" they just go to the end of the cul de sac. Anyway, it results in a LOT more traffic at the end of a cul de sac when before it was mostly just people actually living on the "dead end".

Old 09-10-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
I did that last week in Indianapolis. I missed my turn (poorly marked) and thought I could go around the block to the other street. There was no "NO OUTLET" sign.

Maybe someone put the wrong address in an ad or it was misprinted.

Is someone having a garage sale? The look, but don't see anything they want.

Is something visible beyond the cul-de-sac? (I saw a story years ago about whale watchers doing that.)

Has someone hit and knocked down the "NO OUTLET" sign?
No, none of these really apply. I can't think of anything beyond the cul-de-sac they'd want to look at. As a matter of fact, we tend to avoid using the back deck because the back yards beyond our fence are uniformly ugly. (Being on a cul-de-sac, we have the privilege of bordering no fewer than seven neighboring lots. To be fair, nobody can afford to water and we're in a severe drought, and that's a big reason everyone's yard looks so bad.)

Old 09-10-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think more and more people no longer back up and turn around in driveways - just like the delivery trucks never go into "reverse" they just go to the end of the cul de sac. Anyway, it results in a LOT more traffic at the end of a cul de sac when before it was mostly just people actually living on the "dead end".
We're in a gated community. Granted, the gates aren't closed in the daytime, but random passersby wouldn't be likely to just wander in and get lost like that. There's only one way in and out. This community is very (too) suburban in character, so it's not like these people are getting lost while trying to find the local Albertsons.

One or two drive-bys a day I could understand, but today we had ten that I specifically counted and saved; but there were a few more after that.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Your paranoia is making you “squirmy”; and you clearly have to much time on your hands, if all you can do is watch the window and see cars coming through the cul-de-sac.

So I’ll stir the pot for a little…
Since you’re in OR, it’s the out of control militias, antifa, or other such radicals. No wait, scratch that! It’s the IRS; no, NSA(?). Or the CIA, FBI? Maybe it’s HUD? Did I mention IRS?

Or, maybe it’s the Girl Scouts- is it cookie time? Oh wait…

PCH- they’re looking for that new millionaire! We’re they carrying balloons?

Old 09-11-2021, 08:14 AM

805 posts, read 523,453 times
Are you sure it’s not just another person from the cul-de-sac turning their car around after parking on the curb? My neighbors and I do that all the time.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:42 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Student drivers? When my kids were first starting to drive, they did a lot of just carefully circling up and down streets in the neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:47 AM

471 posts, read 403,789 times
Perhaps there is a house near you for sale, or someone is having a garage sale, so more cars than usual.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:48 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,234,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Student drivers? When my kids were first starting to drive, they did a lot of just carefully circling up and down streets in the neighborhood.
This is a great response.

I'll throw out another potential explanation. I'm on a local Buy Nothing group which exchanges free items. I frequently go to different communities to pick something up, and I frequently have people coming to my house to pick something up. I'm on the start of a cul-de-sac, and my driveway is in the back. So all BN traffic has to turn around in the cul-de-sac. And I do sometimes gift to the same people (though twice in one day would be rare but not unheard of). And if I'm in an unfamiliar neighborhood, I will absolutely look for a cul-de-sac to turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House